1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:57 am

The trick to installing the rear glass is to glue the glass in the gasket prior to attempting to install. This will keep the glass firmly in the gasket when it is being installed. The products to use are 3M Single Step Primer #08682 applied to the glass where it meets the gasket and 3M Windo-Weld #08609 applied in the glass channel before the glass is installed in the gasket. Make sure the glass and gasket are clean before applying the primer and Windo-Weld. Place the gasket on the glass and use masking tape to hold the gasket in place on the glass and allow to set for a day before installing. It will still be a difficult install!
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 am

I'm finally to the point that I can make a list of tasks needed to finish the car. Scratching off items as I go, Here are some I got done in the last couple of days. Still many pages left to go!

Finally got the trunk lock mechanism installed. Bought used, it was Packard but not Series 23. Had to machine new slots for the retaining clip. Buying used from someone who doesn't really know what they have can be a problem.
Trunk Lock.jpg
Installed the heater hoses and my generic heater valve and control cable.
Heater.jpg
Installed the vacuum supply to the to the wiper motor and the speedometer and OD lockout cables from the dash to the transmission.
Vac and Cables.jpg
Installed the headliner tack strip at the top of the windshield opening.
Headliner Tack Strip.jpg
Installed the defrost hoses from the cowl defrost vents to the heater box. Learned some lessons with this one. If you remove your dash for any reason, replace the hoses while it is out, it's much easier. Also, install the hoses on the cowl vents first, easier to install to them with the other end of the hose free. Much easier to install the hoses on the heater box.
Defrost Hoses.jpg
Moved the dash in place to check the fit. Have some minor wiring to finish before it is finally installed.
Dash In.jpg
The next major task is to install the windshield. I'll need to get the gang together again for that.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Kirtie

Post by Kirtie » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:40 am

Looks great!! I can’t wait to see the finished product!! :shock:
********** KIRT LIEDAHL **********

1949 Packard 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan ("Pearl")
http://facebook.com/pearlthepackard/

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am

While doing the wiring. one of the items I overlooked was the electric fuel pump. Ran a cable from the dash to the pump with the positive and negative wires. Rather than drilling a hole in the dash for the switch, made a bracket for the switch and attached it to an unused hole just left of the steering column. Finished the wiring and tested the pump.
Fuel Pump_1.jpg
Fuel Pump_2.jpg
I attached the shift linkage to the engine but not to the steering column before the car was almost completely assembled. Found that it was impossible to attach the linkage arms to the steering column levers because they not accessible. Had to disconnect the shift rods from the bell-crank on the engine, swing the shift levers out from under the column and re-attach the shift rods on that end first. Then the rods had to be re-attached to the bell-crank. This turned out to be equally difficult. The rods are attached with a flat washer, a spring washer, a bushing in the lever, then on the other side of the lever another spring washer, another flat washer and finally a cotter pin. To get the cotter in the rods, the washers have to be compressed. With everything in the way it was hard to do with limited access from under the car. I gave up several times as it was not possible with 2 hands to get enough pressure on the washers to get the cotter pins installed. I thought about trying to use a pair of locking pliers to hold it in-place when I found a pair of spot welding pliers in my tool box. I was able to use these to hold everything in place while under the car installing the cotter pin. There was obviously a better sequence to installed the shift link than what I tried.
Shift Linkage_1.jpg
The shift rods point down so the cotter pins need to be installed from under the car.
Shift Linkage_2.jpg
Was able to use this tool to compress the washers.
I tested the switch on the overdrive lockout cable, finished the wiring and attached the cable to the dash. I'm still missing the knob and looking for a suitable low-cost alternative.
OD Cable.jpg
Permanently attached the stainless exhaust tip to the tailpipe.
Exhaust Tip.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:35 am

Found an economical solution to my missing OD knob. Found a solid aluminum universal shift knob that had the same ID as the OD of the brass insert from the original knob, both were 5/16". Used a tap to thread the brass insert all the way through so it could be installed in the opposite direction. Used a 5/16" reamer to check the diameter of knob then used a shop press to install the brass insert into the new knob. Also has a set screw to hold the insert. The OD knob now matches the two hood release lever knobs the are the same style. Not original but the cost was only $10.
Knob_1.jpg
Bob Drake aluminum shift knob - $10.
Knob_2.jpg
Brass insert pressed into knob. Set screw not really necessary, very tight fit.
Knob_3.jpg
Installed under dash.
Knob_4.jpg
Hood release knobs, same style but universal vent knobs rather than shifter.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:25 am

The Sunday morning gearhead breakfast club came over after our weekly breakfast at Johnny's Cafe to install the Packard windshield. Took 3 people, 2 on the inside pushing out and 1 on the outside pulling the cord. To install, we used 1/8" nylon parachute cord in the flap of the gasket and plenty of soapy water on the gasket. The fit was tight but it went right in until the stainless trim slipped off the pinch weld at the center top. Took several minutes to get it back in place and the gasket over it. If that hadn't happened the installation would have been a 10 minute job.
Windshield_1.jpg
The re-chromed center molding will finish the installation.
Windshield_2.jpg
Next up is the headliner on the separate " '49 Headliner " Project Blog.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:33 am

I took some time off from installing the headliner to finish other tasks. Frankly, my legs are sore from flopping around on the floor of the car fitting the headliner.

I finished installing the weather seals around the front doors. I love the fact that Steele Rubber makes the rubber parts that allow our Packards to be refurbished. Without their products it would be simply impossible to complete a restoration or rehabilitation. There are some places where a generic product will work as well and will same money for your project. This was the case with the door seals. I purchased a generic half-round, hollow-foam seal to use for the doors. It comes in 20' lengths and cost about $1.50 per foot. It takes about 30' feet so I have some left for future projects. The seal has an adhesive backing so it is much simpler to attach rather than having to carefully brush on liquid adhesive to both the body and the seal. Saves both time and money. Of course, if you want a 100% restoration, Steele has the parts for that.
Seal.jpg
Used the 5/8" wide version.
Seal_1.jpg
Flexible to fit down the door.
Seal_2.jpg
Over the door.
Now back to the headliner.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 am

Four years after the headliner was sewn, it's finally installed. The process is on the '49 Headliner blog. Next is installing sound deadener on the floor than the padding and carpet. All the other interior parts, the seats and door panels are done and will be installed after the carpet. Hope to have it fired-up and on the road by year end. It's been a long process!
HLInstall_16.jpg
Front section.
HLInstall_18.jpg
Rear section, window molding and package tray.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 am

After 5 long years, I was finally able to roll the car out of the shop and into the sunlight in a reasonably finished condition. Still need to get the rest of the interior finished and should have it completed by year end. Hard as I tried, I couldn't get it ready for the Florida Packard Club annual meeting on November 18th. I'll take some pictures to show them I really do have a Packard!
Outside_07.jpg
Outside_05.jpg
Outside_09.jpg
Outside_11.jpg
Outside_13.jpg
Outside_02.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am

Congratulations!! It's been a long story and I've enjoyed every minute of it.