1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Adam

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Adam » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 am

It is looking fabulous. My fave colour on a 23rd series too.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm working on the last part of the interior, the carpet.

First, the the tunnel cover had to be secured. A gasket was made using waterproof panel board. Insulation/sound deadener had already been applied to the cover as well as the panel by the pedals. It was screwed in place.
Hushmat_1.jpg
The insulation/sound deadener i'm using is HushMat, similar to DynaMat. It comes in 12" by 23" sheets.
Hushmat_2.jpg
I cut sheets of poster board the same size as the insulation to determine the best pattern for laying out the floor. The stuff is pretty expensive so you don't want to have excessive waste.
Hushmat_3.jpg
Starting from the back, 2 sheets were laid on the floor leaving the middle open. A pattern was made for the center sections. They were shorter than a full sheet and were cut to size and applied to the floor.
Hushmat_4.jpg
Continued adding sheets moving toward the front of the car until new patterns have to be made for the front floor and foot boards. Had to stop to prepare for the Thanksgiving holiday. Will wrap it up this weekend.
Hushmat_5.jpg

Hushmat_6.jpg
Once the insulation is completely installed, it will be covered with jute underlay before the carpet is installed. I had already cut the jute to size.
Carpet_1.jpg
Hope our US PAC members have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving Holiday!
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:54 am

I finished laying the insulation/sound deadener to the floor. It took about 35 square feet. The last 5 feet took about twice as long as the first 30. Had to make paper patterns to get around the sides of the transmission tunnel and the pedals.
Carpet_2.jpg
Carpet_3.jpg
I applied the insulation over the 8 holes holes for the front seat mounts rather than trying to locate them before application. I pushed on the insulation to find the holes then used a hammer and hole punch to clear the insulation. Cleared the threads with a tap and installed bolts to locate the holes in the jute underlay and the carpet. Did the same for the mounting bolts for the gas pedal. The gas pedal will be mounted on top of the carpet rather than cutting a large hole for it.
Carpet_4.jpg
The jute was laid over the insulation and the the holes for the front seat mounting bolts were marked. The jute will be removed, holes punched, re-installed and glued in place.
Carpet_5.jpg
Carpet_6.jpg
Next will be making the patterns for the cut-pile carpet. I need to decide whether to have a separate piece of carpet over the transmission tunnel so it can be easily removed or have a single piece of front carpet.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:25 am

It's been many years since studied geometry, maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time figuring out how to cover a rounded object (trans tunnel) with something that is a flat plane (carpet)! I decided to use a single piece of carpet for the front floor of the Packard. It would be easy except that the trans tunnel cover has an unusual shape. It's flat then kicks up toward the firewall. In addition, there a 5 holes that need to be exactly located in the carpet for the dimmer switch, the clutch and brake pedals, the throttle rod and the mounting base for the throttle pedal.
Carpet_7.jpg
I tried a paper pattern but it wasn't flexible enough. I didn't want to start cutting on expensive carpet until I had a good pattern. I found some carpet that a suppler had sent by mistake and decided to used it for the pattern. After several cuttings, I found that a crescent-shaped cut would allow the carpet to conform to the floor.
Carpet_8.jpg
Carpet_9.jpg
This however left an exposed edge of the carpet showing. This edge would need to be bound in some manor. I took the last piece of scrap carpet and cut it to the shape and tried sewing binding on it. Sewing binding in the middle of a large piece of carpet rather around the edge is difficult and I wasn't sure it would even fit in the sewing machine. It fit even though I didn't do a great job of sewing it. I'll have to be more careful with the finished product.
Carpet_10.jpg
Carpet_11.jpg
As soon as I work up the nerve, I'll start cutting on the final carpeting.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 am

Thinking back to my 22nd and 23rd series Custom 8s, of course both had the Mosstred carpet, very thick, at least 1" including the vulcanized rubber backing. The fit over the transition in the transmission hump was done the same way, a crescent-shaped cut at the transition, but there was no binding on the edges. Also no binding where the front and rear carpets meet at the side of the front seat.
Attachments
Mosstred.jpg
Botwick 2252 010 sm.jpg
Botwick 2252 004 sm.jpg

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Adding to Dave's photos, here's a photo of an original mosstred carpet removed from a Custom that shows the unbound cut for the hump.
Attachments
Carpet Photo 1.jpg

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:04 am

I've come to the realization that binding the cut out is not possible. The company that binds carpet for me can only bind the outside edges, not something in the middle. The carpet I'm using is too heavy for me to try to bind on my machine. Dave and JD's posts are very helpful. If the carpet would come together as shown in his picture, it would work without using binding. My only other alternative is to cover the front section with two carpet pieces.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:58 am

With the pictures from Dave and JD, I figured the cutout did not need to be bound. Traced the scrap carpet pattern on to the new carpet, cut out the piece and holes for the pedals, dimmer switch and throttle and fit it to the floor. I need to finish the final gluing and trimming and sew in the heel pad. Looks good! Thanks for the help!
Carpet_12.jpg
Carpet_13.jpg
I'll finish the back section and start installing the seats and door panels.

I guess I should have kept the non-original carpet that was in the car to use as a pattern. It was so ragged that I pitched it when it was removed.
Original Carpet.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 am

Got rear carpet back from the binding company. The front is installed and glued. The rear is installed and glued overlapping the front. Usually overlap the back with the front but decided to take the smaller piece to the carpet company for binding. Installed the stainless trim on the bottom of the rocker panel. Still needs to be secured. I have the ribbed rubber mat that will cover the rocker panel to simulate the original Packard sill plates.
Carpet_14.jpg
The camera flash lightens the carpet, it's dark charcoal gray.
Carpet_15.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:01 am

Before installing the rest of the interior I wanted to cover the sill plates or in this case sill mats. I purchased the ribbed mat material from Restoration Specialties to try to simulate the originals. The material is 36" wide and the ribs run long ways. I had to buy a 4' long roll for enough to cover the long 2-door Club Sedan sill. Have enough to do 4 or 5 cars because the strip needed is only about 5" wide. There may be replacement originals available but they are well beyond my budget. The entire piece was only $53 plus shipping. They are cut and will be glued with adhesive cement.
Sill Plate_1.jpg
Sill Plate_2.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com