1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Adam

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:24 am

Looks fantastic!
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:11 am

Now that the carpet in, I'm starting to work on the interior. Got the seats out of storage and they look pretty good. Someone had done a good job of reupholstering them and they show little sighs of wear. They are one of the few things I am not redoing from the car as I bought it. They have been reupholstered in what I think is wool broadcloth. Has a stripped pattern and if you look real close it has a hound's tooth pattern. I'll have to redo the foot rest on the back of the front seat so the carpet matches. I'll get them cleaned and ready to go back in.
Seat_1.jpg
Front seat.
seat_2.jpg
Back seat.
The arm rests on the rear panels were not in such good shape. These are the ones I had to rebuild because the original had totally deteriorated. I had reupholstered the replacements but the upholstery loose. I removed the upholstery and found that the foam I had used had deteriorated, must have been a bad batch. I scrapped the mess off and replaced the foam with carpet jute. Stapled the upholstery back on started back to work on the seats and upholstery installation.
Seat_3.jpg
The original arm rest were made out of what looked like cardboard. Made new ones out of plywood.
Seat_4A.jpg
Old foam was a sticky mess.
Seat_4.jpg
Guess stuff like this happens when you let parts sit for 5 years!
Seat_5.jpg
Recovered with jute rather than foam.
Seat_6.jpg
Ready to be re-installed to door panels.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:33 am

Installed the gas pedal, clutch and brake pads and the kick panels once the floor carpet was in
Seat_7A.jpg
Installed the repaired rear arm rests on to the panels and installed the panels to the body. With both sides installed, the rears seat back was slipped down over the arm rests. The rear window garnish moldings were added. Everything fits really well. The window cranks are from '30s Fords. I have been unable to find a set of nice used Packard window cranks for a reasonable price so I bought the new Fords for $10 each. I'll keep looking. I have found 6 nice Packard inside door handles (only need 2) but the window cranks are much harder to find.
Seat_7.jpg
When I pulled the front seat out of storage, I had forgotten that the foot rest on the back was still covered with ugly shag carpet. I was out of matching carpet so I had to go to the local auto upholstery supply and buy another yard. Using the old piece as a pattern, a new piece was cut and fitted to the seat. It was removed and and adhesive was applied to both the seat and carpet then it was clamped in place.
Seat_8.jpg
Seat_9.jpg
While I was waiting for the adhesive to dry on the seat, I cut the carpet to expose the bolts for the front seat. The front seat will be secured with Grade 8 bolts and heavy washers. Also added the labels to the to the heat/defrost and fresh air control knobs. Had to consult the owners manual to make sure I had them in the correct orientation. I had to put tape labels on the control-key instrument panel. The factory labels are hard for me to read so I labeled them until I memorize their locations.
Seat_10.jpg
Seat_11.jpg
UPS just dropped off the seat belts I had ordered. They are from Allstar Performance and cost about $17 each. They have GM-style push button latches. They need to be installed before adding the bottom of the back seat.
Seat_12.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Got the bottom of the back seat and rear seat belts installed. I was concerned that with the insulation, the underlay and thick carpet, the bottom of the seat might not fit. Fits fine and looks good. The front seat has been cleaned and is ready to go in. I'm going to need some help to lift it but we're having some bad weather here so I'm going to wait until it clears up to get some help.
Seat_13.jpg
Seat_14.jpg
Seat_1.jpg
In the meantime, I'm gathering the rest of the parts that will be installed after the front seat. The front door panels and garnish moldings are ready. The steering wheel assembly and the shifter are laid out along with the exterior and interior division bars for the windshield.
Seat_16.jpg
Seat_15.jpg
I'm hoping to be able to start the engine this weekend.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:54 am

Had a friend come over to help me lift in the front seat. I'm beginning to believe that this vintage of Packard was designed for smaller people. I'm 6' tall and 230 pounds and noticed that the fit to the steering wheel when I first drove it was a bit tight. Thought maybe the seat was stuck and wasn't all the way back. With the seat bolted in and confirmed to be as far back as it will go, it is still seems tight for me. The friend who helped me is 6'2" and slim and he thought the pedals were too close. I'll try driving it and see if I can adjust to it. It will be difficult to move the seat back because of floor structure that supports the seat, can't just drill new holes.
Seat_18.jpg
Got the door panels and window molding installed. The door panels have a carpeted strip on the bottom of the panel. The un-backed carpet is folded over the panel and glued on the back. The original wire retaining clips I bought from Max would not work because of the thickness of the carpet. They worked fine down the sides of the panel but I had to use a different clip in the areas of the carpet. I used some clips I got from Restoration Specialties. They worked fine. Following is a picture of the 2 types of clips.
Seat_19.jpg
Seat_20.jpg
Original panel clip on left, clip for thicker panel on right.
It's usually a chore to install pin-retained door handles. Sometimes seems to take 3 hands to push the plastic escutcheon plate in to expose the pin for adding or removing the door handles. I bought the pictured tool from Bob Drake ($15) to make it easier to install/remove the door handles. Unfortunately, I searched all over the shop but couldn't find it. Fortunately, my daughter happened by and with 4 hands were were able to get the handles installed. I'm using '30s Ford window handles that have similar mounting until I can find so good used Packard ones.
Door Handle Tool.jpg
Door Handle Tool.jpg (10.97 KiB) Viewed 916 times
My to-do list is getting shorter and should be able to have the car driveable by yearend!

I'd like to wish all forum member a Merry Christmas and a Safe, Happy and Healthy New Year!
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Kirtie

Post by Kirtie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:30 am

Getting close now! Incredible!
********** KIRT LIEDAHL **********

1949 Packard 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan ("Pearl")
http://facebook.com/pearlthepackard/

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:56 am

My "to-do" list is getting very short. Before installing the steering wheel, I aired up the tires and checked the tow-in using a pair of tape measures and a set of tow plates. It is set with a small tow-in of about 1/8 - 3/16". Then used the tow plates back and front with a string to get the wheels pointed as straight as possible. This will position the steering wheel and help minimize future steering adjustments.
Short List_1.jpg
Short List_2.jpg

Then installed the shift lever and the steering wheel. Once the steering wheel was on, the horn wire was slid through the column and the horn ring attached to the steering wheel and the plastic Packard center piece was installed to the horn ring using a piece of high density foam to hold it in place. The horn wires were connected under the hood and the horns tested. They don't make horns that sound like that any more!
Short List_3.jpg
I'm going to check all the fluids and connections than add some non-ethanol gas and it should be ready to fire up. A friend came over and helped me remove the hood which will facilitate getting it started and making any adjustments.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Good afternoon...Tinman...It seems to me that you have done such a great job of documenting your Packard rebuild that you might well have a book 90% written regarding restoring a 49 Packard or any machine from the late 40's period. Might well be worth speaking to a couple of publishers, as you have so much material to show them...Your restoration might pay for itself...how about that. ;) Ernie in Arizona

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:21 am

Ernie, Thanks for the comments. I am thinking about doing a Youtube pictorial video once it is all done showing the highlights of the build over the last 5 years or so. My last post on this blog will be some comments about what I've learned along the way about working on this vintage of Packards. This is not the first car I've worked on since I retired but it is definitely the most challenging and also the most fascinating!

Joe
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 am

Happy New Year Everyone!

Got the engine fired up yesterday to meet my objective of having it running by yearend. A leak in the lower radiator hose kept me from driving it or running for more than a minute or so. I'll jack it up tomorrow and see if I can find the source of the leak. It fired right up with a dash of Mystery oil and a shot of starter fluid. It had sat dormant for 2 years after setting up the timing and being broken in. A major milestone for this project!
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com