1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:05 am

Got the 2 Optima 6 volt batteries installed and wired in series for 12 volts with negative ground. Connected the positive and negative terminals in the middle with a #1 jumper cable and checked that it read 13.1 volts.
12V_18.jpg
Changed the distributor to 12 volt negative ground by removing the 6 volt Pertronix pickup module and replacing it with a 12 volt unit. Added the 12 Flame Thrower coil and rewired for negative ground. The white wire to the coil's positive terminal connects to the alternator and provides 12 volt ignition battery to the alternator so it is energized at low RPMs to keep it charging. The sending units for the new gauges for the oil pressure and water temp were installed and connected to the existing wires. The copper tubing below the oil pressure sender is the oil filter bypass line. Many Packards came from the factory with an oil filter as an option, This is how that was accomplished. Got this information from Howard in a bulletin showing the dealer-installed oil filter. The oil filter is not "full-flow" so only a small amount of oil is filtered at any one time. This engine was totally cleaned of all sludge when rebuilt and the oil is changed frequently so running filterless should not cause any major problems.
12V_19.jpg

All the AC and heater lines under the hood were connected with the exception of the lines to the dryer. Exposing the dryer to any moisture might ruin it. It will remained sealed until just prior to the system being vacuumed and charged.
AC_62.jpg
AC_63.jpg

I'm moving on the work on the interior re-wiring.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:07 am

Before the dash can be installed to start the re-wiring, there has to be someplace for the AC air to come out. There are vents that can be attached to the bottom corners of the dash but the hood releases are in the way. Therefore, it required that holes be be cut in the dash for the side vents. On the drivers side, the ignition switch is in the way of placing the vent in the center of the space at the corner of the dash so it was moved up and to the outside. A template was made to make sure the passenger side was in exactly the same position. The area on the dash where the hole was going to be drilled was taped-up to prevent marring the paint and the template was used to located the center of the hole. A 2 1/2" Blair "Holcutter" was used to cut clean holes in both sided of the dash. The round AC louvered vents slip snugly into the hole and are attached from the back.
AC_64.jpg
AC_65.jpg
AC_66.jpg
AC_68.jpg
With the side vents taken care of, there still needs to be a center vent. There were a couple of options. Because there is no radio speaker, an outlet could be mounted behind the radio speaker grill. There would be no control over the airflow in that location. Because there are no longer the control knobs for the heater/defrost, I'm going to make a mounting plate for the center vent that looks similar to the former mount for the knobs. I have a plastic louvered vent but it looks pretty cheesy. I ordered a vent with aluminum trim that is similar to the trim on the original dash and will look more in place. I haven't received it yet so the construction of the bracket is on hold for now.
AC_69.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:10 am

The new louvered vent I ordered in and I'm working on the mount to hold it to the bottom of the dash. It looks better than the one that was originally purchased and more fitting with the style of the original dash trim.
AC_70.jpg
The one on the right is all plastic, the one on the left is aluminum with plastic louvers.

Rather than build the mount and then cut the hole for the vent, I took and oversize piece of 20 gauge steel and located the hole in the middle. The hole will be cut then the mount will be fabricated around it. The area around the hole was colored with Dykem so the precise location of the hole could be scribed.
AC_71.jpg

To cut the hole, an air nibbler was used. The location of the hole was marked then a second set of lines was marked 3/16" on the outside. This represents the offset of the cutting head on the nibbler. A 5/8" hole was drilled in the center to insert the nibbler. A piece of angle iron was clamped on the side along the outside line to guide the cut of the nibbler. The angle iron was moved as each side was cut. The hole came out in the perfect location.
AC_72.jpg
The air nibbler cut the hole using the angle iron as a guide.
With a bit of filing to clean up the edges, the vent dropped right in. It is with a plastic piece from the back with 4 socket head bolts. Now the vent mount will be formed.
AC_73.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 am

From paper to steel - cut, bend, weld, blast and prime. Now I need to find my Rootbeer Metallic dash paint.
AC_74.jpg
AC_75.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:02 am

Fascinating work, as ever. Please keep reporting.

Is the new fascia, in your photos, painted or covered in a vinyl like material?
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:55 am

I'm working on the under dash wiring now. It's kind of a mess right now. When the car was originally wired, I merged the fuse panel with the original dash wiring from the Packard diagrams. With the new gauges, switches and the AC, most of that had to be scrapped. My intention is for the dash to be "plug and play" so that it can be easily installed or removed without having to unbolt or cut any wires. I'm using mostly Molex connectors to accomplish this. The AC control panel is done and I'm working on the instrument panel with the gauges and indicator lights.
12V_20.jpg
12V_21.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:57 am

Have the dash about 90% finished and ready to put back in the car. I'm waiting for a small terminal block to connect the power and lights for the gauges. It's starting to look somewhat like a Packard, at least from the front. The gauges are in, the switches are connected and the radio grille with with the switches and AC controls is mounted. There are LED lights between the gauges for the high beam and also a left and right turn signal, rather than just one for both sides. There are also LED indicators for the fuel pump, electric cooling fan and the overdrive governor engagement, something Packard omitted on the Series 23.
12V_22.jpg
12V_23.jpg
12V_24.jpg
All the wiring for the dash is plug connected. The original switches have been replaced. The headlight switch is GM that pulls rather than pushes. No simple task to get that to work and the original knobs are maintained. The middle switch is the starter button, it is a momentary push to connect and is in place of the fog light switch. The original ignition switch was maintained. The other switch is for the electric fuel pump and is also arranged to pull with the original knob. The electric windshield wiper switch will be mounted on one side of the center AC vent and an interior light switch will mount on the other side of the vent.
12V_25.jpg
12V_26.jpg

Once the Firewall wiring is straightened out, the dash will be re-installed.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 am

Finished wiring the the dash. Most of the wires are plug-ended for easier installation. Several will be attached with connectors once the dash is installed in the car. Need to determine the wire length for them, don't want to cut too. Got the headlight switch, lighter and the power to the gauges and gauge lights wired. Almost ready to put back in the car.
12V_27.jpg
Set up the "cigar lighter" as a 12 volt data port. The problem was finding a USB adapter that would fit in place of the lighter element. There is very little room for an adapter. Most have a ring that will not fit in the space. Finally found one made by monoprice.com for about $6. It's has a single USB port and is small enough to fit in. When the adapter is not installed, a modified knob fits in place. The lighter element was removed from the knob and replaced with a rubber grommet that fits snugly in the lighter tube. Looks like the original lighter without the chance of starting a fire! :D
12V_28.jpg

I'll straighten out out the firewall wiring and re-install the dash to complete the 12 volt conversion project.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:43 am

Finally got all the AC and heater hoses connected to the evaporator unit for the final time. Very tight, had to use a bunch of 45 degree fittings. Had to make a new hose for one of the heater hoses. When my original attempt was installed, it wound up with a kink. Hoses just miss the hood release.
AC_77.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:30 am

Working on the wiring with the dash installed and tilted back for access. Taking it one circuit at a time working from right to left. The AC unit is completely finished but not tested yet. The courtesy lights are wired and tested. Lights all go on when either door is opened or when the light switch is turned on. Pretty tricky keeping the all ground wires straight for these lights. The Newport electric windshield wiper motor and switch are wired and tested, two constant high and low speeds. Next up will be the GM headlight switch. Right now, I'm tired of laying under the dash on my back so I might try to fit the right defrost hose.
12V_29.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com