1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1949 Packard 8 Club Sedan

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:27 am

Plugging away with the re-wiring. Not a great deal of urgency since the city, county and state are basically shut down for the control of the virus. Too bad because it is prefect weather for a cruise and car show! I'm working on the turn signals now. All the connectors have been added to the turn signal harness. The other end of the wires from the flasher, brake switch and front and rear turn signal bulbs are being routed and will have the corresponding end of the connectors will be added and connected. I've complicated the wiring a bit by tapping into the front parking light turn signal circuits so that the will be both right and left turn indicators lights rather than the single original indicator.
12V_30.jpg
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:01 am

All the re-wiring is finished. The last item wired was the interface for the GPS speedometer. Could not find a Hall Effect pulse generator for the OD speedometer gear so the GPS unit was the best choice to drive the electronic speedometer. The end of an old speedometer cable was used to plug the speedometer cable hole in the transmission. The wires are raggedly tied up with plastic cable ties until the testing is completed then they will be more neatly bunched. After all the testing is completed, the AC and defrost hoses will be added and the dash buttoned back up.
12V_31.jpg
Speedometer interface - electrical connections on left for 12V + & - and the speedometer connection. GPS antenna on the right side.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:18 am

All the 12 volt re-wiring has been completed and everything that can be tested without the car running has been tested and checks OK. The new light switch allows the parking lights to be on with the headlights. The amber parking lights give the car a distinct different look. The taillights are using high output 1157 dual filament bulbs. They are 50/14 CP versus the original 6V 21/3 CP. Very bright and easy to see.
12V_32.jpg
12V_33.jpg
12V_34.jpg

The next task is to get the car up in the air and drop the gas tank to change the fuel level sender and replace the 6 volt electric fuel pump. Then the engine can be fired and the AC unit vacuumed and charged and checked for operation.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 am

Dropped the gas tank to replace the fuel level sender to match the new 12V gauges. The gas tank has a drain plug in the bottom. Pulled the plug and drained about a half a tank of ethanol-free fuel in to a couple of new Home Depot buckets. Immediately used a battery powered fuel pump to pump it into a regular gas container.
12V_35.jpg
12V_36.jpg

Once the tank was empty, the fuel line was disconnected along with my fabricated fuel filler tube. A floor jack with a towel was used to support the tank as the 2 rear tank strap bolts were detached. The tank was lowered enough to unhook the old sender wires.
12V_37.jpg
12V_38.jpg

My original tank was not usable so the tank I'm using is from a 1953/54 Chevy car. The general dimensions are similar to the original but modifications were required for the fuel line, filler tube and the frame brackets for the mounting straps. It holds 16 gallons and has provisions for an in-tank EFI pump.
12V_39.jpg

The new sending unit was adjusted to fit the size of the tank and installed. The procedure to remove the tank was reversed to re-install it. Rolled under the car and raised far enough to connect the sender wires then raised up and bolted in place and all the lines connected. Must note that it is easier to remove than re-install!
12V_40.jpg
Hmmm - Maybe an EFI conversion in the future?
12V_41.jpg
The task in the project is to replace the 6V fuel pump.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:06 am

While the car is up in the air, the 6V electric fuel pump assembly is being replaced. My original setup was well thought out with a canister fuel filter, Carter 6V rotary vane fuel pump and a fuel regulator to keep the electric pump from over running the carburetor. Unfortunately, the setup failed to work as designed. Either the pump or the regulator was making it difficult for the newly rebuilt mechanical pump draw enough fuel to the carburetor. Had to run the electric pump full time. To solve that problem, I installed a bypass line with a one-way check valve around the filter, pump and regulator. it didn't work much better. Rotary vane pumps and regulators are good and reliable but probably not a good choice as an auxiliary pump behind a mechanical engine pump.
12V_42.jpg

On the new assembly, the regulatory is removed and the 6V pump replaced with a new Carter electric pump that will free-flow fuel when off. I wanted a pump that would use hard line fittings. I prefer not to use barb fittings and rubber hoses in the fuel lines unless absolutely necessary. The only problem with this pump is that it requires a special metric O-ring fitting which was a bit more difficult to adapt to the NPT thread in the fuel filter. Was able to adapt it with an AN coupler and added a metal piece to the mounting bracket to support the new pump. Once it is installed and tested, should be able to fire the engine back up.
12V_43.jpg
Carter inline 12V pump
12V_45.jpg
Coupling between pump and filter
12V_46.jpg
Extended mounting bracket

While the car is up, also remove the speedometer cable and the vacuum line to the wiper motor that are no longer needed.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com