My 1955 Packard & Nash

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
thielbar1

Re: My 1955 Packard Clipper

Post by thielbar1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Thank you all for the comments! I appreciate them greatfully. The project isnt quite done yet, I still plan on instauling a fish carburator, and little things like the headliner and sound insulation need attension.

thielbar1

Post by thielbar1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Well I havent joined any Nash groups to share this, but I thought ya'll might relate to it. I recently purchased a 1955 Nash Ambassador equiped with the Packard 320 and factory AC. 650 must be my lucky number because thats exactly what I bought it for, and before anyone asks, it has a new trunk with it and the radiator was never reinstalled after it was refirbished. The motor is said to be froze, but I have a good 374 I'm planning to put in its place. Pictures comming soon.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Congratulations. I rather like the mid 50s Nash models too. When you post the photos I'd be particularly interested in how Nash did the mechanical part of the AC and if evident, brand of compressor. I know their AC version All Weather Eye system was one of the first completely front mounted units and was quite good for the day but am curious how Nash engineers handled the mounting of the compressor. Did they follow the Packard method of moving the oil filter and mounting a one piece integral bracket and Lehigh compressor on the left or did they go the aftermarket route and mount their components on the passenger side.

thielbar1

Post by thielbar1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:01 pm

the AC unit is not shown in the pictures but it is fairly low in the engine bay. I will take more picture of it when I get it home from South Carolina. Its a nice car for the price and I think I'm going to paint it two tone white and coral when its said and done with.
Attachments
00s0s_eiwi2kWmmOp_600x450.jpg
00G0G_oGwWARUCA0_600x450.jpg
00t0t_4T2EvS7xiME_600x450.jpg
00M0M_i85jYFAtNIt_600x450.jpg
00s0s_YSpFskWonn_600x450.jpg

Howard56

Re: My 1955 Packard & Nash

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 am

Lot of work awaits and I don't envy you but it should be a nice car when done. Looks like the compressor is on the passenger side so apparently they didn't use the Packard bracket.

How hard is it to find Nash parts? Packard mechanically used many items for years without much if any change so most mechanical is around but body trim and interior items is another story. How about Nash. No idea how many were made and doubt they sold that many with Packard drivetrains but with the Nash bodies basically the same shape for several years, maybe a similar situation? There is a poster on the packardinfo forum with power window motor issues in his 56 Hudson. Those apparently use the same motors as Packard and just as hard to find reasonably priced in the AMC circles.

thielbar1

Post by thielbar1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:40 pm

This body style was used from 1952 - 57, but that doesnt mean it will be easy to find parts. Most of its there so i hope i dont need to find anything special...... Cant wait to put my 374 in it, i have been looking for something to put it in.

thielbar1

Post by thielbar1 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:05 pm

So the Nash drivetrain and suspension system is almost generically 'Buick'. The Ultramatic is teamed to a torque tube, thus making semi - independent coiled suspension possible. I bring this up because it came to my mind that the transmission could possibly be bad. So that would leave me with two choices, rebuilding the Ultramatic, or somehow adapting a Hydromatic to it. Has anyone ever adapted a Hydro to a Packard before?

That leads me to another project update: The Ultramatic in my Packard sprung a leak, its pretty bad. I suspect the front seal, but it may possibly be the torque converter seal.... I hope its not but I'm gonna have to find out. It was just a small trickle, but got worse in a short period of time. It shifts smoth and everything, but has a very low moan in park....

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:45 am

There are kits available to adapt various GM trans to the Packard engine. Bendtsen makes most if not all of them now and the most common trans conversion at the moment seems to be the 700R4. TorqueFlites were another common conversion although I believe the company that made that kit has quit the business. There is (was) a fellow at the Studebaker club making something for adapting a THM into a Golden Hawk. Not sure if he still does them.

Converting a 55 is not an issue and there are a couple of 700R4s in the process of being installed on cars of posters who frequent Packardinfo. Some photos of a completed install taken by Bendtsen as they developed the kit are there too. The 56 with electric shift is the one that has no easy conversion at the moment since no one has come up with a way to make the pushbuttons work with the GM trans.

Almost certainly the Ultra leak is the front seal. They get hard from sitting for years with no fluid to keep them moist. After a short time back on the road they frequently develop cracks and leak. The converter is sealed with a large O ring so unless the converter has been apart, not a likely suspect. If the converter was drained there is a possibility one of the drain plugs is loose but again, most likely it is the front seal. The pump shaft could also be seriously worn so when you change the seal, be prepared for extras. Ultras are different and sometimes unforgiving beasts and one thing leads to another. A significant number of fluid paths are transmitted thru a portion of a shaft so if there is a leak at a bushing or seal other pressures are adversely affected. It is extremely critical all the shaft and bushing surfaces plus the inner seals and bushings themselves be in good condition.

I am not sure what causes the moan or buzzing in park. There are a couple of leaf type check valves and I suspect one of them might be vibrating. Other than the annoying sound it doesn't seem to cause problems. Interesting you describe it as a moan. Most moans are associated with a sound it makes when an old dry and hardened direct drive clutch comes in when driving at a fairly low speed. Some have said that sound is like a mooing cow.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:37 am

Here is the website for the vendor Howard mentioned. The GM 700R4 is a 4-speed overdrive transmission.

http://transmissionadapters.com/
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

thielbar1

Post by thielbar1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:35 am

I know of the 700r4 conversion, but the Nash has a Buick type torque tube, whereas the packard has conventional hotchkiss drive. Thats wny I was wondering if the Hydro could be converted, because Nash used them with that setup.
Also, the slight "moan" has never really worried me, it gets quieter the more I drive it

Thank you all for the replies! I will be posting updates of the transmission fix, and Nash work when it arrives to my house.

Another thing, i didn't realize they still produce type A transmission fluid!? I think it may be more appropriate for the ultramatic rather than the newer alternatives due to its absence of detergents. http://fna.ca/product/gard-type-a/ . What do y'all think??