UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
analyse999

Re: UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

Post by analyse999 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:27 am

THROTTLE LINKAGE

I've now started on refurbishing the offside of the engine compartment, as part of which I stripped out the carburettor/exhaust manifold, including the throttle linkage. To say the linkage was a little slack would be an understatement - press the throttle and they jangle and flap about like Forrest Gump's callipers coming off.

Having got them off, mine look to be the most ham-fisted home-made links you could imagine, surely not original, but as I await my parts book arriving, I've nothing to compare them to.

So; attached below some images of my links; could anyone tell me if these are correct, and if not, what I should be looking for (any pictures of originals would be much appreciated...)

Many thanks,

Howard.
Attachments
IMG_8793.jpg
IMG_8794.jpg
IMG_8795.jpg
IMG_8796.jpg
IMG_8797.jpg

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 am

ACCESSORY HEATER/DEMISTER etc. - HELP !

My car came without any form of heater, demister etc., and here in the UK with our weather these things are a 'must' if you intend to drive your car (and I do).

I've come by a well-used original Packard heater (see pic) which is a 'Model 81', and visually matches some examples I've seen in photo's of better equipped cars like mine. Its externally rough, so will need repainting; has anyone a photo of what the original colour/finish should be please ?

Also, its missing its two door handles, so I'd very much appreciate any ideas/sources for matching original replacements.

And most importtant, I've nothing to show how this or the other components fit into the car, in particular how this mounts to the bulkhead under the dash, how the piping passes through into the engine bay, how it is piped into the cooling system, etc. And clearly I'm loth to 'have a go' and drill my bulkhead etc. until I know how and where it sits.

Can anyone advise please ? Are there any installation instructions or diagrams available anywhere, or could anyone send me a few photos if you have this fitted to a car like mine ?

Many thanks,

Howard.

PS. My car is RHD, if that makes any difference.
Attachments
$_57-53.JPG
$_57-54.JPG

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 am

Progress Report

I've been slowly making progress on several fronts for the least few weeks, which isn't always a good idea as I find if you're not careful the sight of all your effort making the car look worse can be daunting, but in my case has been necessary.

The road wheels are off, stripped, and due to be blasted/refinished once some new hubcap clips arrive; once thats done thanks to Hirsch I have lovely new hubcaps to refit, which will really lift the car. In the meantime having the wheels off gives me great access under the fenders for more cleaning, refinishing, etc. I've retained the original whitewall cross plies but for road use would prefer to move to radial whitewalls. Any thoughts anyone ?

All the chrome has been sent for refinishing -a four month process (!) with the man I use, but thats because he's good. As always, I invested a lot of time in prepping the parts, particularly the backs and fiddly areas, and welded up a few drilled holes in the rear bumper. Tip for this is when refinishing/grinding away any excess is don't go mad with a grinder or orbital sanding disc -this invariably leaves an uneven finish that cant be polished out -either leave the repair proud of the surrounding surface (for the chromer to dress back) , or finish with a flat sander -its slow but worth it in the end as chroming like paint magnifies rather than masks any imperfection.

The engine bay is coming along nicely, just waiting on replacements parts now (see picture), and looks a whole lot better than before, thanks to a few replacement parts and lots of elbow grease. I rebuilt the throttle linkages I have by adding new metal and then redrilling/dressing back -much less 'slop' in the system now but I'll need to see what if any difference it makes when the carb is back on and the engine running again.

I've taken the screens out to address some minor rust issues in the surround. Instead of the rubber seal, both screens and brightwork had been secured with bands of black mastic material -which I guess explains the water ingress that must have caused the damage...

New rubbers are on order, and I have found what is supposedly the correct aerial for the screen. The shaft seems a little long for the interior (see pic) -has anyone any pictures of an original aerial and fitting in position I might refer to ?

My next big job is the dash - I will repaint the metal parts once I can figure out the correct dash paint/woodgrain colours/tints, and replace the plastics, I'm hoping to buy a new wiring loom, but my car being RHD, I'm expecting the loom to be too short for the wires to the dash/instruments (which are on the 'wrong' side). I'm also concerned about trying to reassemble/fit all the dash parts/wiring in a mounted dash panel, so my possible solution to both these problems is to cut the new loom up under the dash, fit a junction box, and then extend the dash wiring. That would then allow me to build/wire most of the dash on the bench, and then connect dash wiring at the junction box rather than the dash itself when I install the dash. Has anyone else done this. Any advice ?

Another point of interest for me having been working on the car about three months now has been that whether through ebay or direct, almost all the new/original parts I have sourced have come from club members/suppliers, and thanks to contact made initially through the club and the forum, which just goes to show the real value of membership, especially for a 'non-local' like me. Top stuff.
Attachments
IMG_8900.jpg
IMG_8929.jpg
Last edited by analyse999 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:39 am

Keep us the great work, it's fun to follow it and might give me a little ambition to get after some of my issues.

Re tires, even for extensive touring a good quality bias tire will be just fine; the prewar cars don't benefit much if at all from radials as long as the suspension is tight and true and in proper alignment. Yes, radials might offer a very small improvement in handling but to my view that's offset by two factors: (1) the radials place more stress on the suspension components, and (2) tread wear excluded, radials have a shorter lifetime in terms of the tire carcass so if you're driving perhaps 1000 miles a year or so, bias tires will outlast the radials. I have bias ply on my 34 and even with a solid beam front axle I couldn't ask for much better in terms of handling.

dmdelavan

Post by dmdelavan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:59 am

A word on chroming over welding. You are much less likely to have pits in the finished product if you will leave the welding a bit shy of the finished surface or grind it back and complete filling with silver solder. This from the man who redid my banged up bumper guard and it is impossible to distinguish it from its undamaged mate.
Don Gutting

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Dave; good points, thanks. Your point re. the impact of different tyres on suspension is bang on the money. My current tyres are all cross ply, two match pairs, and in good condition so for now I'll be putting them back onto the refurbished wheels.

Don; again a great point - in fact I spent an hour with my chromer (46 years in the trade), listening to him describing exactly that point re. the value of silver solder as a repair mask before finishing/rechroming. He even described filling pitted spot by drilling them out with a 2mm drill to create a 'bore' that then filled with silver solder gave the requisite fill but also adhesion.

I've also seen extensive replating/repolishing as another filling option before the final chrome layer to 'fill' smaller imperfections without losing too much metal -not too much of a problem on my lovely Packard with its serious metal thicknesses, but a real problem with old japanese motorcycles (of which I have a few) with thin metal pressings and poor quality base metal.

Thanks guys.

H.
Last edited by analyse999 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 am

I am very impressed with the progress you are making Howard. keep up the good work!!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:36 am

Hi Adam;

thanks for that - I look forward to our two old girls parked side by side....

Best,

H.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:40 am

Carburettor Number ??

Time to display my ignorance again....

My car has the Stromberg BXOV-26 Carburettor fitted, in need of a strip and rebuild, so I tried to buy a service kit for it. My order was cancelled because the supplier said they also needed the 'Carburettor number' as well as the Series number (BXOV-26). Try as I might I cant find another legible number on my carb.

Can anyone advise please, and/or suggest where I can buy a good service kit for my carb (I know there are different kits & suppliers, but both are new ti me so any advice would be much appreciated) ?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Howard.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:32 am

Hi Howard:

If you go back to the main website and click on 'Reference" you'll find a list of all the carburetors used by Packard over their history and this often includes the specific variant code where it's applicable. Assuming your car still has the original carburetor, the `1941 110 owners manual (which of course was printed before the cars went into production) indicates it would have a Carter BVOX-26 with Code 10-45; other later sources say it's a 10-46 (perhaps a change during the production run). The code# is usually found on a small brass tag under one of the float cover screws and unfortunately are often discarded during prior repairs. I'm sure there are several good manufacturers of carburetor kits but in my opinion the best are made by Daytona Parts In Florida.

http://www.daytonaparts.com/carburetor.html