UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
analyse999

Re: UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

Post by analyse999 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:36 am

Initial Running Experiences

As part of getting the car 'running' a number of issues have come to light which whilst problematic is good as this allows me to address mechanical issues as part of a running restoration, as follows :

1) The distributor camshaft seems very wobbly at the end - I need to research this to hopefully find a swop-out bearing - its not a critical issue as the car runs, but clearly any lateral movement in the shaft will affect the points gap setting.

2) The steering is atrocious- the car wanders all over the place. It has newish cross-ply tyres which are never good for handling, but getting the car on a lift established that both front wheel bearings were grumbling, and the RH front wheel especially was 'wobbly' -so they will need swopping. Also the drivers side upright had a little up/down movement so will need re-shimming. Whilst underneath we re-greased all the joints, so at least that was useful. Checking the steering box established that it had been filled at some time with grease - before I refill it, can anyone tell me what the correct lubricant for the box should be ?

3) The clutch does bite OK (a big relief), but is at the limit of its travel. Old repair invoices claim it had a complete new clutch, bearings etc. about 10 years (and almost no miles) ago, so I looked to see if I might be able to adjust the settings - the 'adjuster' I found to have been 'padded out' with four nuts (see pic) -what appears to me to be a real cowboy repair. Is this correct, and if not, what should it look like ? Either way, this suggests to me that its been done to support a 'near end of life' clutch -am I right ? If so, post-wedding it will all have to be swopped for new -I'll start saving now...

4) Gear selection is still a bit clunky -in part due to the worn joints throughout the system. One particular issue however is that it keeps jumping out of first gear -is that a particular issue I can address, and if so, how ?

5) My new speedometer cable is of the type that has a screw sleeve at both ends; under the car however, the 'engine' end of the (cut off) item on the car is different, and looks as if its held in place by a plate rather than a 'sleeve nut' if you see what I mean (see picture 2). Have I got the wrong part or am I wrong about how it fits the engine ?

I must say that despite the above I am truly delighted to be at this point, as now I can start to identify and 'fettle' these mechanical issues to make the car not just a runner but a driver too.

More soon !
Attachments
IMG_7067.jpg
Clutch Adjuster
IMG_7067.jpg (9.67 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
IMG_7066.jpg
Speedo Cable end
IMG_7066.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Last edited by analyse999 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 am

Radio 'Restoration'

I had always wanted a working original radio for my car as I think it sets off the dash, but of course its unique to the model and year thanks to the dash design. Over 2 years I managed to acquire three old 'original' units, all non-working, together with a full set of new remanufactured knobs, buttons, dial fascia etc. thanks to Jerry at 'Yesterdays Radio (what will we do now he's retired ?)

I had these assessed by a UK radio restorer; he told me that two units were restorable, the third suitable for spares only. Of the two restorable ones, one in particular was internally very good, showing signs of previous repair (and a business card inside the casing, presumably from the restorer - one 'Richard Foster - Antique Radio Service'.

This gave me two options; restore to original status, valves and all, or restore with a modern unit inside the original casing and using all the old buttons. This second option give me a much better sound quality, and also USB, Bluetooth and multi-speaker functions.

The decision in the end was 'both' -i.e. retain the 'best' radio to restore to original, and rebuild the second best with modern internals.

That was done first, and some five months and $1100 later I have to day I'm delighted with it.

Appearance-wise it looks like new -the case was epoxy-coated for durability, the fascia housing rechromed, and the new buttons installed. Internally, it has a power converter installed, so that whatever I fee it (6 or 12 volts) it still works fine, so as and when I revert to 6-volt it will still be fine.

Installation was fiddly to say the least. Firstly, the new unit had none of the foam insulation to the front, so I remade this myself from sound-deadening foam, using the tattered and crumble original as a pattern.

To get the radio in I had to remove my original restored heater -I had point this in the centre of the car, but realise now why it usually lives in the passenger side footwell. I may need to rethink that ! Also, my 'non-standard' wiper motor blocks the aerial socket perfectly - I have a 90 degree socket converter I'm going to try, otherwise I'm looking at having to drill a hole for the cable right through the motor mount.... Hmm.

It came with a single centre speaker but with wiring for four other speakers -I installed two very small but top quality speakers in the kkckboards to either side of the dash , high up under the dash and almost invisible in the cockpit, and the sound they give is excellent.

The usb lead and socket I intend to run into the glovebox.

This now allows me to have AM or FM radio, to playback music files from a USB stick or via bluetooth from another devise (e.g. Phone), to take/make hands-free phone calls (via a hidden microphone), and even to have voice activation via a smartphone. And all this in a unit that , except for a tiny 'function light' built into the display looks just like the original.

So; a lot of effort and money, but the perfect result -driving with my period 40's/50's music playing and having the other functionality is a joy, and of course my other 'best' radio I can have restored to 'original' should I ever wish to go that route.
Attachments
IMG_7002.jpg
Rebuilt Radio
IMG_7002.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
IMG_7011.jpg
Rebuilt Radio 2
IMG_7011.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
IMG_7012.jpg
Remade foam insulator
IMG_7028.jpg
Under-dash installation
IMG_7017.jpg
Installed -1
IMG_7020.jpg
Installed -2
IMG_7029.jpg
Installed -3
IMG_7029.jpg (11.03 KiB) Viewed 4672 times

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Accessory Rear Bumper Guard

This was one of those accessories that took me a while track down. I bought one via eBay that was very pitted, then my default fairy godfather 'flackmaster' put me onto another that was much better (thankyou sir). Once stripped and repaired by sanding out a few minor dents, the outer parts were off to the chromers, leaving me to strip and replace the rest of the bits.

Once done, assembly was 'the reverse of disassembly', aided by lots of photos taken during dismantling, and the spare bits from eBay.

The first job was to put the two cross bars into the uprights, loosely bolted at this stage to allow for adjustment. Then each upright had its inner clamp bolted in, followed by inserting the two clamp plates, hinged temporarily with two bolts.

As a precaution, the two rechromed uprights were painted internally, and threads/pivots well lubricated with petroleum as a rust preventative -rechroming is expensive !

The next issue was mounting the assembly to the cars rear bumper. This had already been rechromed previously at great cost, so I was very keen to protect the chrome surface from clamp marks. This I achieved by using four bits of spare 'u'-shaped glass rubber, which I cut down on one side to reduce them being seen. These then went onto the four clamp edges, ant the unit was carefully and loosely bolted up to the car, so the rubber sat between the clamps and the chrome outer surface of the bumper.

Then I set to careful measuring to get the accessory central, the uprights vertical, and the two horizontal bars evenly placed, before finally tightening all clamp bolts.

The next issue was the two lever clamps, one in each upright, that held the guard in place; these had a little play in them that allowed the guard to 'rattle' a bit when in the upright position; even gently bending the clamp lips failed to solve this. My solution was to use two rubber grommets whose inner side neatly fit over the clamp bolt head (see pic) ; this gets compressed by the clamp when the guard was clipped up, and keeps the guard secure, hard against its clip on each side, and no rattle - perfect !

I tightened the hinge bolts to provide some resistance - that stopped the 'open 'guard falling straight onto the ground. These will be replaced in due course with proper peened rivets as original once I can find some...

The last step was to cut two hexagons out of red sticky-backed plastic and put then into the hexagons on each upright, and after a final polish it was 'job done'.

I'm absolutely delighted with the result. I love my car, but accept that as a 'Junior' 110, even in 'Deluxe' form it was, for me anyway, a bit underdressed on the outside. The genuine accessory bumper guard and bumper end embellishers really lifted the front, and now the rear guard does the same at the back; adding just that extra bit of detail and chrome, and balancing the cars styling front and rear. Packard really knew how to make accessories that enhanced their cars: I just wish they cost now what they cost when available new. :o)
Attachments
IMG_7090.jpg
Inner clamp assembly
IMG_7090.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
IMG_7097.jpg
Rubber grommet as 'cushion'
IMG_7097.jpg (10.52 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
IMG_7087.jpg
On the car - 1
IMG_7087.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
IMG_7089.jpg
On the car -2
IMG_7089.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 4662 times

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Wedding Success

Well I'm pleased to report that last weekend my eldest stepson and his fiance were finally married after being transported successfully throughout the event by my beautiful Packard.

After a week of working 16-hour days on the car, the morning of the wedding found me still wiring lights and generator an hour before I was due to leave, halted only by my wife dragging me off by force to get a shower and into my penguin suit.

Planning for all eventualities, the boot of the Packard had more tools than a Formula 1 pit garage; the groom and best man risked 'death by father' by me loaning them my Audi Q7 as 'backup' vehicle complete with a brand-new heavy-duty towing hitch; their task was to follow me to the wedding 'just in case'. Needless to say that plan failed at the first junction when they took a 'new route', leaving me to proceed alone into uncharted waters whilst they (it transpired later), despite only minutes before having had a 'full Irish' breakfast prepared for them by their doting (Irish) mum, decided to stop for a Macdonalds....

The journey to the brides house was 12 miles; the car ran fine, save for 'wandering' steering and the joy of crunching down through the gears at every traffic light thanks to wear and poor adjustment of the selectors. The route took me through the centre of Leeds, a major city; all the way people on foot and in cars were stopping to stare at 'the beast' as it sailed majestically past; in the town centre pedestrians even stepped into the road right into the path of the car to take photos - they never knew how close to death they came as I struggled manfully to swerve and brake - I now know how the wheelman felt on the Titanic when someone shouted 'Iceberg'...

Despite all this, the car arrived at the brides house in fine form, save for a tendency to stall when warm, quickly fixed by a tweak of the carburettor idle screw. With bride and proud father on board, the journey to the church complete with period music was an easy hop, and the impact of the car when seen by the guests was worth all the effort - the bride is quite rightly always the star of the show at any wedding, but I have to say the Packard came a very close second.

After the ceremony the journey to the reception was complicated by my taking a wrong turn at a roundabout whilst failing miserably to double-declutch on a gear down-change, causing lesser cars to scatter before us in panic like flies around a charging elephant, but other than that all was fine until entering the road to the venue -an old country house converted into a gym/golf club. The drive had the biggest speed bumps I've ever experienced; despite crawling over them the physical shock managed to snap one of the gear selector rods, jamming the car in second gear. Luckily I managed to clutch-slip the car the last few hundred yards to the venue and deposit bride and room exactly as planned. -success !

That I had to tow the car home afterwards was a small price to pay -it had done its job on its most important debut. Having to do a u-turn across a carefully manicured wet lawn of indeterminate but historic age whilst towing went down not so well with the venue, -those of us concerned with the towing wisely never stopped to 'chat', and the rest of the guests promptly came outside to tramp down the turf and soothe ruffled feelings, so all was well in the end. And the very next day just ten minutes with a mig-welder and grinder had the breakage fixed and the car out on the road in fine fettle to entertain family and guests.

My daughter-in-law the bride was totally besotted by the car, as the photos of her period dress, hairdo, and glowing smile show. She also tells me today that photos of it she posted on 'instagram' have already been tagged by 'a Packard Club', so I must try and find out who that was.

The fact that the car 'delivered' on the day was also due in no small part to the immense support in tracing parts and in advice from fellow club and forum members, many of whom I now count as good friends, so my heartfelt thanks to you all, and full marks to the Club and the Forum for being such a boon. I hope seeing her in this form and on the road is some small return on your trust and friendship towards what I view as my 'custodianship' of this beautiful piece of automobile history.

Just as with the newly-married couple, this is ironically also the start of a whole new adventure with my beautiful car as I now face the task of fixing the many faults that moving from being a garage-bound restoration to getting back on the road has identified. So; more to come - watch this space !
Attachments
dsc06789_28845407770_o.jpg
dsc06789_28845407770_o.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
IMG_7330.jpg
IMG_7241.jpg
Last edited by analyse999 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:21 am

Hi Howard

Congratulations on the wedding success. And to the Bride and Groom too!!

I was just looking at your earlier posts and the pictures of the clutch release arm. It certainly should not have a set up like that! Someone has contrived to get the clutch release bearing to push further into the clutch, the result, I suspect of either excessively thick replacement clutch lining, a faulty clutch cover (springs too short), or a replacement release bearing that is too thin, or a missing spacer. Either way, I suspect you will be planning to have the gearbox out and sort it out, but if it works okay for the moment, there is probably no rush.

More urgent perhaps is the gear linkage, because you do not want to damage the selectors. Smooth shifting is attainable, but these linkages are very prone to wear and maladjustment. the only way is to strip the system, check all the parts and assemble according to the service manual.

Also, your steering should be pretty accurate, if not as good as the Q7 !! I suspect that you have excessive free play somewhere in the system. Keep your tyres fairly hard too. About 36 - 40 psi, despite what it says in the manual.

These cars are very driveable in modern traffic when fully sorted. Please keep us updated with your exploits!

Kind regards
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:47 am

Hi Adam,

Great to hear from you, and many thanks for your response: you make some very useful points.

Firstly, re. the clutch mechanism, you've really got me thinking. I was originally thinking that the actuator arm had been 'spaced out' as it is because maybe the clutch was nearing the end of its life, but your suggestion makes me wonder if maybe I've got the issue the wrong way around ? You think ??

Re. the gear selection you are absolutely right; the mechanism is slack at every joint, so I am intending to work through each stage/joint and try and minimise/eliminate slack. Also the final adjustable link arms are very flimsy so I intend to try and fabricate new ones. I also have a set of the 'improved' springs that John Ulrich makes to take out slack in the joints at the steering column. Finally, I have waiting in the wings a NOS pair of selector arms, the ones that sit on the steering column, so hopefully once all this is done/installed I will be able to adjust and set up the system properly. Watch this space !

Re. steering, again you are bang on; my game plan is to methodically work through every element underneath the car, eliminating wear/slack and bad adjustment at each stage as I find it - a slow but much-needed process. I'm heartened that you say 'normal' steering should be much better though - that means my expectations may not be too high. And thanks for the good advice re. tyre pressures -I'll try that.

Of course 'option b' is to merely drop the Packard body shell into my Q7 chassis and drivetrain, which should improve mpg too ! (just kidding).

Just FYI, I've recently heard from the UK end of the club, which is trying to rekindle itself - did you know ? They are seeking ideas for what to do, and one I have is for us to try and build a database of support and suppliers here in the UK/Europe to support maintenance of our beautiful cars, as my experience has been that it can be a long and expensive supply train between here and the US. Any ideas you have would be great.

Now I'm running-ish, I hope we get to meet up at some event in the coming months. Keep in touch.

Best Regards,

H.

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Congratulations Howard - Mission accomplished. I read your post to my wife, including the snapped gearshift linkage for the final few hundred yards... you must have been a nervous wreck by that point. Only we need know....
Onward.

DAF

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:31 am

Hi Howard

A Q7 with Packard body? that would turn a few heads. :D

Just reiterating the clutch thing, as a clutch wears the linings become thinner (obviously) and this causes the 'fingers' within the clutch cover to pivot backwards towards the release bearing. The same is true of the 'fingers' of the diaphragm spring if it were that type of, more modern, clutch. This means that, as the clutch wears, the necessary adjustment is to back the release bearing away from the clutch, to reintroduce some free play. In the photo, your clutch rod has been lengthened, which I think will move the release bearing closer to the flywheel (as I write this, I am beginning to doubt whether I am telling you this the correct way around, as position of release fork pivot and direction of rod travel will change all this), which is why I suspect that you will eventually find an incorrect release bearing has been used, or a spacer is missing. In any case, it will not be insurmountable to sort out.

Yes, I have also had the correspondence from Steve Miles regarding Packards England. It is great that they are getting things going again, but I have not yet attended a meet. I did go to the inaugural Brooklands meet in the mid-nineties with my 533. I think a directory of helpful suppliers would be a brilliant idea. I could contribute a few suggestions to that. Whilst I have had great service from the US suppliers, it is remarkable just how much you can get done closer to home.

I can recommend the Vintage Sports Car Club, for the events that they organize and the technical support available through the (members only) forum.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 am

I have been looking at pics of your engine in my Packard books, but I cannot see an image that shows which way the clutch rod is operating. Does the actuator rod in your photo push towards the front of the car or the rear? Also, where is the release arm pivot? Is it in the middle, like a seesaw? or at the end like a hinge? These two things will allow us to judge if the added adjusting nuts are to provide more travel or more clearance in the clutch.

Adam..

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:47 am

Back to the Future

Well, after a two-year break to deal with 'other stuff', I'm back to working on my beloved Packard, which now entails dealing with the many loose ends I had after I first got it on the road, and dealing with the various mechanical flaws that driving it revealed.

One of the big issues was sloppy gear selection, and occasional locking in gear or dropping out of gear -not good for a relaxing drive, and according to friends not what properly set-up gear selection should be doing.

Like all column-mounted mechanisms, the sheer number of levers, links, and directional changes in the forces applied means that inevitably even a small amount of pay or misalignment at any point gets amplified through the system, so to fix my car I need to address all of these issues, but each individually as they are all different.

My car still has the original Column-mounted selectors; by observation and fiddling it was clear that the lower lever was bent a little, and able to 'wobble' on the shaft; also the selector arm ends were loose in their fittings to the selector rods, so that was a clear place to start.

Many years ago I bought what I was told were 'genuine NOS' selector arms, a real find !, and a plea for advice through the club as always generated the very best of help (Thanks Howard & David !), so armed with the parts and information it was time to bite the bullet and strip the steering column.

I took off the steering wheel and unfastened all the links/clamp bolts, but of course the column-mounted levers have to come up through the bulkhead, so I stripped back all my lovely new carpet and pedals to take out the bulkhead toe plate. Even that didn't give enough clearance, so from inside the engine compartment I undid the bar that carries the cable clamps etc. and runs across the steering column bulkhead 'hole', which allowed me to push it down just enough to clear the column and selector arms. The second problem was the upper column bracket; even unbolted it sat behind my lovely wood grained metal dash panel, so to clear that I had to move the bracket and column back into the engine compartment about a half-inch, after which the whole assembly slid up the column and out of the car with no further issues.

Once on the bench, the slack in the lower arm was obvious; the bronze bush to the column I guess is worn, and the smaller bush in the end of the arm where the next link attaches was very worn.

So far, so good, but the work is stalled as I've hit two snags.

First, the Detent won't come off the column - it ha a spring loaded pin that moves a bit but I cant figure out how to get it off, which also means I cant get the upper selector arm off yet either.

Second, my 'NOS' selector arms are NOT original; they are rough cast (compared to the beautiful original ally cast items), have no bronze bushes to fit the column, and their selector arm holes are too small to take the bronze bushes that I found on my originals.

Time for some more research, but I'd be very interested if anyone knows how to release the Detent from the column, or anything about 'NOS' or replacement arms.