UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Adam

Re: UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

Post by Adam » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:41 am

Hi Howard

Do take care inflating those air bags. I would suggest a foot pump rather than an air line. They might go bang!

I have seen helper springs before, but not with the air bag inside them.

They remind me of the 1960s (before my time) when my father had a Bedford lorry. He added a Baico chassis extension and coil helper springs in the days before overloading rules were enforced. The helper springs acted like a fulcrum and the chassis side members bent behind them.......

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 am

Hi Adam,

Thanks buddy, I will. To be honest I'm now thinking I'll take them off whilst I sort the standard suspension components, and then have a better look at them whilst they're off the car.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:18 am

FRONT SUSPENSION AND AFTERMARKET PARTS

Well after two weeks of 'fun' (and expense) in a commercial garage, my front end is back together.

As well as wheel bearings and king pins, as before we have fixed the worst of the movement in the steering pivot where it bolts though the crossmember. That was the tricky (and unanticipated) issue.

The kingpins and wheel bearings etc. were expected, and so a while back I invested in new bearings, oil seals, and a kingpin service kit (pin; locking pin; bearing x2 & bush per side), from a reputable supplier expecting them to be a relatively easy fit -not so.

Reaming the bushes for the kingpins was tricky but expected, but what wasn't expected was the overall quality of the 'new' parts received, all of which came from a reputable supplier. First, one kingpin needed polishing to fit the roller bearing as it was a tight fit. Then we noted that the 'cutout' in each of the two kingpins for the locking pin was a different depth. Finally, the locking pins were different to each other; one had no taper and was milled at both ends, the outer was tapered and the larger end was unmilled. As a consequence, when these were fitted, the kingpin with the deeper 'groove' for the locking pin still had some slight rotation despite the locking pin being driven in as far as was engineeringly possible, caused we presume by the locking pin not 'locking' in the deeper groove (the other side was a perfect fit.

So; Problem 1; unmatched and wrongly fitting new parts between the two sides...

Problem 2 was with the kingpin thrust bearings. Although in nice new boxes, when these were opened, the actual parts inside were in old and broken 'Timken' inner boxes which had clearly not been sealed for many years so there was a lot of surface rust on the inner and outer bearing shell surfaces....-not good. I've no problem with 'NOS' Parts per.se. but I do think suppliers should at least check they are serviceable before repackaging them.

Problem 3 was with the new hub oil seals. These were remanufactured and of a different design to those on the car, in that the inner seal lip was reversed. These fit into the rear of the hub and make the 'seal' when the hub is fitted, so the direction of the sealing lip is critical as if the wrong way round it might not seal but catch and flip backwards, failing to make a seal, if that makes sense. To address this we had to cut the metal lip of the seal in a lathe to enable us to 'reverse' the seal, then Locktite it in place to stop it moving in/out and ensure it still made contact with the hub mating surface when fitted.

It's all back in now, but the unexpected parts issues created many hours more labour, and in the case of the 'loose' kingpin, are still not fully resolved, so will have to be revisited, which for the loose kingpin will mean having to re-ream a new bush, and stripping/rebuilding everything again. Moral of the story - customers check the parts you buy before trying to fit; supplier(s) check the parts you supply !