UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
analyse999

Re: UK - Based 1941 110 Touring Sedan Deluxe RHD

Post by analyse999 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:33 am

Re. 12 volt Electrics

As per my earlier posts, my car is running a 12v conversion which is clearly a 'mix' of US and UK parts.

Leaving aside the awful home-made wiring loom, having stripped out the engine bay components for a tidy up and recommissioning, what I've found is that my electrical system consists of :

1) Starter Motor

Autolite MZ 4078, fitted with a 12-volt solenoid, stamped into the case of which is 'SAS 4201 -12v-2m -made in USA'. So; the good news for me is that I have a US starter but 12 volt to match the conversion.

Distributor

Delco-Remy, stamped '11100902 OK' using a single points set

Dynamo

Lucas 12v

Regulator

Lucas RB340 (12v)

My intention is for now at least to recommission the car as is rather than change everything back to 6v (which I plan to do when I do the full body-off restoration). However, what I would like to do is 'tidy up' the engine electrics and at least for now, replace the two non-US components (dynamo and regulator) with suitable 12-volt US alternatives that look right for the period.

So; my question is, can anyone suggest exactly what make and model of US distributor and/or starter might work practically with the other US components I have, and would look right in the engine bay ??

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 am

I can't help with all your current questions but to say a 6-volt distributor with correct centrifugal and vacuum advance curves will be just as happy functioning with 12-volts but you'll need to make changes to the ignition coil and add a ballast resistor. But you had earlier asked about the specific original OEM electrical parts and I believe at the time I referred you to the Packard master parts list. I had forgotten that I have the "A.E.A. Universal Catalog of OEM Parts", here's the page specific top your vehicle. Hope this proves useful. Left-click to enlarge.
Attachments
1941 110 OEM parts.jpg

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 am

Hi Dave;

Good advice and thankyou - the car certainly has an aftermarket 12v coil fitted. Re.original parts, the extra list is also a big help as I intend to track down NOS parts for my 6v conversion back to standard.

Thanks again, IOU a beer (or two)..

Howard.
Last edited by analyse999 on Sat May 02, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 am

Hi Howard

As Dave says, the distributor requires no changes to run at 6 or 12 volts. The coil, of course, needs to be changed back to 6V. Coils have a limited life anyway, (especially modern ones, as they are no longer needed for new cars and are frequently poor quality repros. The best ones are the sports coils made for motor-sport, which are still high quality, but I tend to use universal ones, just expect a shorter life), So a replacement may well make an improvement.

The starter is in all likelihood the original (especially if it is Auto-Lite). They are usually converted to 12V by simply changing the solenoid, as the armature survives 12V pretty well anyway. If you go back to 6V, just get a 6V replacement solenoid for it. (Local electrical factors can supply them - I think they are in the Durite Catalogue).

That just leaves the dynamo and regulator, which are replacements. You may need to source those in the US, but try speaking to US Automotive in Bedford, as a first port of call. Holden Vintage & Classic also do a lot of electrical units. Jeremy Holden is a Vintage sports car club racer and very practically minded.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Adam,

Thanks for this, a big help, especially re. UK supplier options. Your comment re. the Starter being original but with a different (12v) solenoid makes sense too, I'm just amazed that the solenoid itself days 'made in USA', but I can't provenance when or how the conversion to 12v was done, so I'll live with it !

Best Regards,

Howard.
Last edited by analyse999 on Sat May 02, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 pm

CLUTCH REPLACEMENT OPTIONS

Work on tidying my engine bay is progressing nicely (more pictures soon), thanks to a few original parts arriving (courtesy of John Ulrich -thanks John !). One thing I'm expecting to have to do is address the clutch, which is not quite slipping yet, but the 'bite point' is at the very limit of the pedal, so unless the adjustment is away out, I'm expecting to have to renew the clutch assembly. Being VERY heavy, clearly if possible I'd hope to avoid importing replacements from the USA, so my question is; is there a suitable replacement aftermarket generic clutch assembly that will fit my car, and preferably one I can source through a UK supplier, or must I use original parts ??

Thanks,

Howard.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Generally, if it's just wear, you can have the clutch rebuilt; new lining faces on the friction disk and rebuilding of the pressure plate and services for this kind of work should be available locally, indeed worldwide. The only things you might have to source from the US would be a new throwout bearing and flywheel pilot bearing which should be installed whenever you change the clutch.

Perhaps Adam can make a recommendation for clutch service.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks for the excellent advice Dave; I'll keep the 'project blog' updated with progress.

Best Regards,

Howard

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 am

Hi Howard

I have sent you a PM with some recommendations for relining companies.

I do not have any recent experience of this work, but the list I have sent you is from the "recommended supplier" section of the Vintage Sports Car Club web forum and includes four companies that have given somebody good service on friction linings.

Might be worth a phone call?

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:54 am

Good advice and links Adam; I'm quickly realising that finding a network of good 'local' (UK) suppliers would be a big help; like you I suspect I'm well used to trawling jumbles, suppliers etc. for British cars, and know how well we are served with those sources/prices, but this is my first vintage American car; (I guess the same may be true for US friends seeking British car parts locally in the US).

So; find/make the most of what we have here, import the 'must have's and pay the price for that, and time to plan a US holiday with some very big suitcases I think !

Thanks again,

Howard.