'49 Packard Headliner

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: '49 Packard Headliner

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 am

I added this to a prior posting about a 1950 Standard headliner and added it here:

As a clarification to the original question, it does appear that the original headliner was installed before the rear window was placed. I found reminents of old headliner around the rear window seal and there is a tack strip around the inside of the window frame where the headliner could be attached. I still believe it could be installed and look correct without removing the rear window. Removing the window could become very expensive if it was broken and if a new seal is required it would add about $150 for a replacement.

Joe
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

50packard288rhm

Post by 50packard288rhm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks so much for the excellent info! I'm looking at this job on our 1950 deluxe 8 sedan. I'm not dreading it nearly as much now.
Kelly Brickey
A doctor can bury his mistakes, an architect can only advise his client to plant vines. -Frank Lloyd Wright-

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 am

I started this separate blog on making a headliner for my '49 Club Sedan back in 2014, seems like yesterday! Before installing it, I decided to fix some rust on the car. The next thing I knew, the body was off the chassis and the engine and transmission were in 100's of pieces all over the shop. The installation of the headliner was put on indefinite hold. Now that the drive train, wiring and bodywork/paint are done, it's finally back to installing the headliner and the rest of the interior parts that were also done in 2014. Here are some pictures of what was encountered causing the delay of the headliner.
RustFix_1.jpg
Had to repair poor body work where someone slapped fiberglass over a large rust hole, both sides below taillights.
RustFix_2.jpg
Both quarter panels, inner and other rocker panels and a good portion the floors were rotted away and poorly repaired.
Now I can get back to the headliner!
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:30 am

One thing I did not make with the headliner was the windlace that goes around the front door. I decided to use the darker gray suede material that was used in the pleated insert of the front door panels. It will contrast with the lighter gray of the headliner. Laid out the material and cut it in 4" wide strips to be filled with the foam windlace tube.
Windlace_1.jpg
The windlace is a single piece that goes from the floor at the kick panel, all the way over the door and down the door jamb to the floor. It is about 10" long. Unfortunately, I only had 6' of the dark material left, so the material would have to be spliced. To do the splice, the material is placed face to face at a 90 degree angle and sewn across the diagonal and then cut leaving about 3/8". Apply glue to the edge on both sides and fold back. This creates a longer piece. I had 2 6' pieces and could have made only one splice but it would have been right above the center of the door. Rather than that, 2 splices were make and measured to fall at the dash and low on the rear door jamb where they would be less noticeable.
Windlace_2.jpg
Scrape material for a test splice.
The back of the material after folded and glued.
Windlace_9.jpg
This is one of the splices in the finished material.
Windlace_8.jpg
Sewing the foam tube into the material to form the windlace. It was 10' long so I stuck it in a bucket to keep it from dragging on the floor.
Windlace_5.jpg
Windlace_6.jpg
Finished piece.
Windlace_7.jpg
Two 10" pieces of sewn windlace. It is over-sized lengthwise and after it is installed, the ends will be finished off.
I have to get the crew together to install the windshield before the windlace and headliner can be installed.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:02 am

Before the headliner can be installed, the windlace has to be installed but before the windlace can be installed, the kick-panels need to be installed. I made the kick-panels some time back. They are made from waterproof panel board covered with unbacked Ozite carpet. The fresh air vents were totally deteriorated so they were replaced with 4” plastic drains from Home Depot.
Windlace_10.jpg
The carpet covering was cut oversize and needed to be fitted.
Windlace_11.jpg
Drains work as fresh air vents.

All the originals had been replaced with a piece of panel board covered with fabric and screwed to the door jam. Rather than screw the replacements on with screws that show, an aluminum channel was attached to door jamb so the new panels could slid into the channel. The channel also holds the windlace to the lower door jamb from the dash to the floor. The aluminum channels were attached to both lower door jambs so the kick-panels could be fitted. With some trimming of both the panel and carpet, the panels were installed.
Windlace_12.jpg
Panels were installed to test the fit without the windlace.
Windlace_13.jpg
Driver's side was harder to fit due to added components.
Once the fit of the panels was satisfactory they were removed along with the aluminum channel. Started attaching the windlace from the floor at the rear door jamb. Used an air stapler to attach the windlace to the composite tack strip avoiding the metal retainers that hold the tack strip. Continued stapling up the back door jamb, over the top of the door and down to the dash where the tack strip stops.
Windlace_15.jpg
Windlace was installed beginning at the back moving to the front.
Tucked the windlace around the dash and clamped it down the door jamb to the floor. Cut the excess off at the floor. With the windlace in place, the aluminum channel was screwed to the door jamb holding the windlace in place.
Windlace_14.jpg
Windlace installed below the dash, held in place by the aluminum channel.
With the windlace completely installed, the kick-panel was re-installed.
Windlace_16.jpg
Kick panel installed slipped into channel. It may have to be removed to install new floor carpet.
The drivers’ side will be installed in a similar manor then the headliner.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:46 am

Looking good! And I love the ingenuity of the drain grilles...

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:14 am

Adam,

I made the kick panels 4 years ago when the project was in the "low budget" phase. If I was doing it now, I'd probably shop around for some originals!

Joe
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:17 am

Once the windlace was installed, the parts that grip the headliner were installed over the door. The headliner slips between the windlace and under these pieces and the barbs hold it in place. The hole covered partially by the windlace is where the rubber grommet fits to hold the bow. The grommets I found were from Steele Rubber #32-1071-20, 12 required.
HLInstall_1.jpg
HLInstall_2.jpg
HLInstall_3.jpg
Had to finish installing the dome light and route the wires to the trunk light before starting to hang the headliner.
HLInstall_3A.jpg
Laid out the headliner to install the bows. Fortunately, the moths did not eat any holes in it during the 4 years since it was sewed.
HLInstall_4.jpg
All the bows were installed through the listing tape that is sewn into the headliner. The shape of the end of the bow makes them a bit more difficult to install.

HLInstall_5.jpg
Starting at the front, the ends of the bows were installed into the rubber grommets on each side.
HLInstall_6.jpg
One more picture in next post.
Last edited by Tinman_70 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:23 am

The headliner is partially installed and some wrinkles worked out. fit looks good so far. I'm going to let it sit overnight to let some of the storage wrinkles relax then it will be steaming and stretching to get the final fit.
HLInstall_7.jpg
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:23 am

Got the headliner held in place with ceramic magnets. Worked it to pull out the wrinkles. The magnets come in handy to hold it taut while it sets into shape. A couple of storage wrinkles had to steamed out. The excess material was trimmed off and it's ready to be permanently attached. The rear window is going to be the most difficult part of the installation. The Packard factory installed the headliner before the rear glass. I chose to install the glass first. This is typically how a replacement headliner would be installed without having to remove the rear window. The issue is the position of the tack strip, it is not ideal for this type installation.
HLInstall_8.jpg
The back section.
HLInstall_9.jpg
The front around the windshield.
Member:
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com