Page 3 of 3

Re: '49 Packard Headliner

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 am
by Tinman_70
One of the other tasks with the installation of the headliner is upholstering the door pillars with the matching headliner material.
HLInstall_10.jpg
Had to make a pattern for the passenger B pillar. Transferred the pattern to heavy cardboard and cut out.
HLInstall_12A.jpg
Cut the material oversize and glued the inside forward edge of the board with adhesive. Attached the material to the inside edge of the cardboard leaving the outside free.
HLInstall_12B.jpg
Placed the cardboard tight against the windlace and stapled the cardboard to the windlace tacking strip. Applied adhesive the the face of the cardboard and folded the material on to the adhesive. Tucked the excess material on the top over the piece and it will attach to the back where glue had been applied.
HLInstall_11.jpg
Finished piece. The back edge of the pillar upholstery is held in place by the window molding.
HLInstall_13.jpg
Next was the windshield A pillar. Made a pattern taking into account the screws that hold the windshield molding. Test fit the cardboard after cutting it from the paper pattern. Put some tape on the windshield to make it easier to find the holes for the installation of the molding.
HLInstall_14.jpg
With the material glued to the back of the cardboard, the piece is held in place against the windlace and stapled to the tack strip. Then glue is applied to the face of the board and the material pressed in place.
HLInstall_15.jpg
Finished A pillar. The inside edge will be held in by the windshield molding that will be installed later.

Still working to complete the headliner. Need to install the rear window molding. The headliner material is glued over the mounting holes making them a bit difficult to find. Not to mention working over the package tray is a bit awkward! Once that's done, it will be some final steaming and it will finally be done.

One thing I found interesting is that the driver and passenger sides of the car are not symmetrical. I made the mistake of making both sets of cardboard pieces the same. What fit once side would not fit the other. The curvature of the doors at the B pillar is different and the placement of the windshield molding screws is off relative to the windshield. Pulled the windshield molding out of storage just to make sure I had the right holes. I guess as long as everything fits it's OK. Clay molds vs lasers!

Re: '49 Packard Headliner

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 am
by Tinman_70
I finally finished the headliner. Fits well, still working on a couple of small wrinkles.
HLInstall_16.jpg
Front section.
HLInstall_17.jpg
Rear Section. Package tray will be covered with jute padding and cut-pile carpet, same as floors.
HLInstall_18A.jpg
Passenger side.
HLInstall_18.jpg
Rear window molding. Installing the molding was very difficult. The molding is flexible and you're trying to lineup 12 screws into very small holes that are covered with fabric and adhesive. The 4 screws on the bottom point down and it is difficult to use a pick to line up the molding and the hole. Used headless screws as studs to align the molding then replaced them one at a time with the molding screws and proceeded adding the rest of the screws from the bottom to the top. It was difficult and frustrating not to mention trying to do this with your knees on the floor leaning over the package tray!
This was the third headliner I patterned, sewed and installed myself, first two were vinyl, this was fabric. Here's what I learned:

- Vinyl is easier to work with.
- Don't use suede fabric, takes too much manicuring.
- Sew fabric as tight as vinyl, it will stretch.
- It's easier to make a headliner if you have the original to work from.
- The hardest part of the process is re-installing the rear window molding.

The carpet is up next.