1940 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Tinman_70

Re: 1940 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:15 am

You've fabricated some pretty large panels with this restoration. Did you have any problems doing it with a 24" bead roller?

Great that the owner took such care in documenting the disassembled parts. I disassembled my car apart myself, bagged and labeled parts and took lots of pictures but with the extended time period, I still have trouble finding stuff and figuring out how to get things back together. You can never be too careful with documentation and taking more pictures than you think are necessary.

Great job on this restoration! Every time I open the forum, I look forward to one of you posts.

Joe
Last edited by Tinman_70 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:48 am

There were a couple panels that I had to curl one edge back about half an inch to clear the throat of the bead roller. Other times I was able to flip the dies and reverse the direction of the panel to get the shorter side inside the throat for more clearance.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:49 am

I need help determinig the location of the rear floor pan braces. I assume that a Coupe would have the same pans and bracing. Can anyone photograph these braces so I have a reference to go by?

The ones in question are the two longer braces that stretch from the rearmost cross brace to the back of the rear floor pans.

I have a picture from a '39 2 door sedan, but if I place the braces in the same location on the Convertible they come up short.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:35 am

I have nearly the whole left side welded in; everything except one rear body mount brace against the inner fenderwell, the outer quarter panel, and lower front cowl panel. Lots of final fitting/trimming/reshaping to get it all fit together well. This is where good patterns would have helped a lot, but the original parts were in such rough shape it was impossible to make 100% correct patterns. There were 308 plug welds so far. Next step is to fit the outer quarter and cowl panel, then lead all the door jamb seams.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:16 am

Front lower cowl side welded in.

For the quarter panel, I modified a set of panel clamps for a tighter gap between the panels. The "divider" piece was originally ~.045", which I ground down to around .020". I also tried Robert/MP&C's tack/planish/grind/overlap technique since I was able to access the back side of the panel. Great technique that really helps to reduce shrinking/warpage and keep the shape of the panel while welding. It'll only need minimal work to get it ready for bodywork.

For those not familiar with Robert (MP&C on forums), here's a link to check out his work. Very talented metal shaper and he's great at posting his techniques.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=564201

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:42 am

Got the passenger side quarter panel and B-pillar bottom cut out and cleaned up. There was a turn signal stalk and a few other random pieces of metal brazed onto the B-pillar to help strengthen the rusted out section. I'll get it outside when the weather clears up and use the spot blaster to finish stripping the B-pillar.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Built the passenger side inner A-pillar bottom today. Started by making a tape template, and fineline tape to cleanly mark the center edges where the new pieces will be welded.

Cut out new pieces from 16 gauge steel.

Shaped.

Two halves welded, and started smoothing the welds with a cutoff wheel.

Welds smoothed with a cutoff wheel, then 36 grit.

Final smoothing with 80 grit on the 3" grinder, then 60 grit on a 3" DA sander. Corners of the opening were squared up with a file.

And finished.

theastronaut

Post by theastronaut » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:28 am

Started on getting the passenger side inner rocker in the proper location, and the inner A-pillar located.

Made templates for the rear fenderwell brace. I'll get them cut out and welded up after lunch.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 am

I just went back to your September 10, 2014 post to look at what you had started with. Great work! It's amazing to see how far this has come. Can't wait to see the finished product with some before and after comparisons.

Keep posting!

Joe
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:59 am

I must agree with Joe. Fantastic work and fascinating to follow your progress. Please keep the story coming!!

I have done some floor and sill fabrication myself, but my efforts only serve to highlight the quality of what you are achieving.

Kind regards
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.