The Engine is Finished

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
classic car fan

The Engine is Finished

Post by classic car fan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:56 pm

I am thankful that I was introduced to Ernie Foster by Earl Rubenstein, Ernie was the right man for this job. I only knew Ernie for five months, Ernie passed away 2 weeks ago, The last conversation I had with Ernie was the day before he died, Ernie and I talked about how beautiful my engine sounded, how Ernie wanted to have me put the top down and take him and his dog Buddy for a ride. I never got to give Ernie that Ride, I spent last week at Ernie's shop with his master technician Joey finishing up my car, we had a few setbacks (more then a few, really) but the car is in my garage. The engine sounds great, nice and smooth, the gearbox shifts great and is now very quiet with new bearings. I have been in contact with a man that was there in 1968 when the car was purchased, for the next 45 years as he was very good friends with the owner. He tells me that the car was a very original car that was basically painted, upholstered and had the engine freshened up. I have been all over, under, inside and everywhere else on this car the last 5 months and it is a super solid, original wood never hit or rusted example that I will do nothing to but drive and enjoy. I hope you like the photos.
Rest in Peace Ernie Foster, sadly we have lost a wealth of knowledge that is gone forever.
Andy
Attachments
Engine 1.pdf
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
engine 2.pdf
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
engine 3.pdf
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
engine no grill.pdf
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 168 times
trans.pdf
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
grill.pdf
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 168 times
ernie.pdf
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 167 times
Last edited by classic car fan on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Don R's Cars

Re: Packard Eight Engine Rebuild

Post by Don R's Cars » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:56 am

May I ask who is doing the rebuild and where they are located?
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

classic car fan

Re:

Post by classic car fan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Last edited by classic car fan on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:20 am

One of the characteristics of the straight eight engine is that it will still run quite smoothly when it is very, very worn. The difference you will see when it is all done will be fantastic.

Please keep the photos coming.

I would be very interested to know if the boring bar that Ernie Foster will be using indexes off the block face or whether it will allow for any discrepancies in deck height. Some engine bores are not always truly parallel. Not sure about the Packard ones.

Does the crank need grinding too? Is there wear on the camshaft lobes?

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:22 am

Adam, bores are (or should be) perpendicular to the block face; the odd one to bore is the Twelve; not unlike the Pierce Twelve and a few others the bore centerline is not perpendicular to the block face so a special tapered space attachment is needed to mount the boring bar. That special tool is not plentiful, the handful of guys who specialize in rebuilding Twelves have them.
Attachments
V12 valve area.jpg

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:29 am

Hi Dave, I wasn`t aware of that regarding the V12. It makes for an interesting squish area design. I also didn`t appreciate the rocker arrangement for the cam followers.

My question related to stuff I have read about race engine builders needing to correct for production tolerances which result in the cylinder bores being not perfectly perpendicular, or indeed for the crankshaft centre line not being truly parallel with the top face of the block (the deck height). This misalignment can lead to differing compression ratios and considerable power losses. I am quite keen on ensuring that a rebuilt classic engine is optimised as far as possible, so I am thinking about these things in addition to balancing of crank, rods, pistons etc. Not many engine remanufacturers seem to have suitable boring bars etc to accomplish this, as they generally index off the existing block face.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

classic car fan

Post by classic car fan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 am

Last edited by classic car fan on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

classic car fan

Post by classic car fan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Last edited by classic car fan on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

classic car fan

Post by classic car fan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Last edited by classic car fan on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Re: Packard Eight Engine Rebuild, More Progress

Post by Adam » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 am

Great work! Thanks for posting the pics. Please keep them coming.

The sidevalve straight eight is a fascinating engine and I like the roller cam-followers. Did you need to replace those or are they ok? The 1950 288 engine that I did years ago did not have roller followers.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I assume that the rebore was +0.030 (30 thou), not +0.30.

Kind regards
Adam..