my 1950 deluxe eight 288 resto

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
Amistydj

my 1950 deluxe eight 288 resto

Post by Amistydj » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:04 pm

My oldest car in my collection
1950 Deluxe eight 288
Ultramatic drive
Have had this car going into a yr now, finally have the time to start restoring her
Engine and tranny are solid
Car is all complete, not missing any parts
All doors and mirrors are in tact, no sagging doors
Floor pans needs replacement, did find a company in Michigan that sells replacement panels
Seats needs to be reupholstered
Headliner needs replacement
I will be going over the ignition first as I do with all my cars
Have the exhaust redone
I'm picking up shiny better, better than mine, front and rear bumpers at a yard for $100 ea
then focus on the interior and body
Overall I'm very happy with my Packard and this project should be exciting
Attachments
00m0m_2pB1RdS4eW0_600x450.jpg
01717_6pIudku6RAq_600x450.jpg
00f0f_fXkixmma0QF_600x450.jpg
01313_eQZf7VPnZ9D_600x450.jpg
IMG_7706.jpg
IMG_20170705_204202.jpg
Carburetor is a carter WGD 728, I may go for the 728s if I can't find a good air filter for it base on the design
Factory oil bath is still intact but does not fit
IMG_20170705_203356.jpg
This is how it looks after I cleaned out the bay and lubed all the grounds and contacts
Last edited by Amistydj on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Re: my 1950 deluxe eight 288 resto

Post by Adam » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 am

Welcome to the forum !!

That looks like an interesting project. Please keep us updated with your progress. And plenty of pictures!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:27 am

I wonder what make of vehicle that Carter carburetor is from. I've never seen anything like it before. Does it have a CarterCarStarter switch in the base?

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:37 am

I am also curious about what is happening with the heater hose. It looks like the head supply port is attached to the return hose to bypass the heater core but where does the other hose go that is attached to the Y and heads off toward drivers side. Flush hose or something else?

Amistydj

Post by Amistydj » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 am

Howard56 wrote:I am also curious about what is happening with the heater hose. It looks like the head supply port is attached to the return hose to bypass the heater core but where does the other hose go that is attached to the Y and heads off toward drivers side. Flush hose or something else?

Looks like the heater has been bypassed, it's a T configuration, they had it from the water pump then connects to T coupling then to the driver side port on the block, don't know what that port is either
I will be reversing it back to original, it did come with a plug in heater block, quite rare

Amistydj

Post by Amistydj » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:50 am

JD in KC wrote:I wonder what make of vehicle that Carter carburetor is from. I've never seen anything like it before. Does it have a CarterCarStarter switch in the base?
Some Packards came with Carter 728s carbs, according to a brochure I read online
The one o there is 728, works great but don't know what air cleaner will fit on it

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:27 am

Packard carried two air filters during the 22nd/23rd series run, an oiled mesh and an oil bath. Both were conventional "top mount" units. In the 23rd Series they did use the Carter WDG 728S or SA carburetor which also used a normal "top mount" air cleaner. I'm not sure what carburetor you have shown in your photo, but it's not correct. It does look like the type that might have been used in a marine conversion where there was insufficient head space for a conventional air filter mounting.

Amistydj

Post by Amistydj » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:38 am

Dave Czirr wrote:Packard carried two air filters during the 22nd/23rd series run, an oiled mesh and an oil bath. Both were conventional "top mount" units. In the 23rd Series they did use the Carter WDG 728S or SA carburetor which also used a normal "top mount" air cleaner. I'm not sure what carburetor you have shown in your photo, but it's not correct. It does look like the type that might have been used in a marine conversion where there was insufficient head space for a conventional air filter mounting.
What will be an effective carburetor for my 288?

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:41 am

Amistydj wrote:
Looks like the heater has been bypassed, it's a T configuration, they had it from the water pump then connects to T coupling then to the driver side port on the block, don't know what that port is either
I will be reversing it back to original, it did come with a plug in heater block, quite rare
What you find at what you call a drivers side port is the one I would be curious about. Normally hot water would be supplied from the port in the head, thru the thermostatic valve and to the front heater core, out of the front heater to either an optional under seat heater and back to water pump or, if no underseat heater then back to the water pump directly from the front heater. All of that plumbing would be on the passenger side. I am unaware of anything factory that would require a water fitting on the drivers side. There was a small port used to drain the block located just forward of the starter but that was only a plug and not used for anything else. If that is what is connected to the hose I am wondering what they were attempting to do.

It has been suggested by several that an increased likelihood of overheating results if the heater is bypassed by directly connecting the head port to the water pump return. Reasoning is the water exits the head under pressure and substantial flow. If it is immediately returned to the water pump and back into the engine that amount of coolant never reaches the radiator and keeps getting reheated over and over until the overall heat level is increased. The 22-23 series were somewhat marginal in cooling capacity anyway so I would certainly not recommend anything to put more stress on the available capacity. If someone added another water out point from the block going directly back into the engine sure wouldn't help the situation.

Amistydj

Post by Amistydj » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:58 am

Howard56 wrote:
Amistydj wrote:
What you find at what you call a drivers side port is the one I would be curious about. Normally hot water would be supplied from the port in the head, thru the thermostatic valve and to the front heater core, out of the front heater to either an optional under seat heater and back to water pump or, if no underseat heater then back to the water pump directly from the front heater. All of that plumbing would be on the passenger side. I am unaware of anything factory that would require a water fitting on the drivers side. There was a small port used to drain the block located just forward of the starter but that was only a plug and not used for anything else. If that is what is connected to the hose I am wondering what they were attempting to do.

It has been suggested by several that an increased likelihood of overheating results if the heater is bypassed by directly connecting the head port to the water pump return. Reasoning is the water exits the head under pressure and substantial flow. If it is immediately returned to the water pump and back into the engine that amount of coolant never reaches the radiator and keeps getting reheated over and over until the overall heat level is increased. The 22-23 series were somewhat marginal in cooling capacity anyway so I would certainly not recommend anything to put more stress on the available capacity. If someone added another water out point from the block going directly back into the engine sure wouldn't help the situation.
I think that's what it is, it's close to the starter
I will have to put a bolt back on and reroute the hoses