1949 Packard Super 8 "rally car"

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
mehalley

1949 Packard Super 8 "rally car"

Post by mehalley » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:31 pm

I'm Mike Halley, I live in Northeast Oklahoma and just purchased a 1949 Super 8 that seems to be in awesome shape inside and out but isn't running at the moment. I'm sorting out getting the starter motor to turn the engine over and there may be a carb rebuild in the offing but I believe this car is not far from hitting the road again.

The reason I call it a rally car is because I plan to offer it for rent to teams interested in competing in the classic endurance car rallies coming to North America in the next few years. Events like last year's Trans America Challenge and next year's second leg of the Round The World Challenge presented by the British based Rally The Globe organization. Preparing the car for a multi week, multiple thousand mile competition is where the project will pick up steam but I'll be happy to keep you all posted.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures I took of the car before loading it up for the trip home this week.
Kind regards,

Mike ...
Attachments
P9.jpg
P1.jpg
P2.jpg
P3.jpg
P4.jpg
P5.jpg
P6.jpg

Dave Czirr

Re: 1949 Packard Super 8 "rally car"

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 am

Welcome! Your venture sounds like fun. Just something to consider which you probably already have thought of, the standard type of collector car motor vehicle registration and insurance many of us get for our hobby cars may not be appropriate for the uses you intend.

Looks like a nice 23rd series Packard, keep us posted on its rehabilitation.