2365 club sedan

If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
fast-dog

2365 club sedan

Post by fast-dog » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Packard.jpg

Hello,
We recently became the owners of a 49 Deluxe eight club sedan. It is a one owner car still in the original owners name, the title is going before a judge to be deemed a legal document as it was signed by the owner in 1962 but was never notarized. the car has been under the care of the same family and in my hometown since 1962 , it was driven around the block occasionally, supposedly approx. one year ago. The odometer shows 40,xxx miles which some things say could be actual while other things say no, The back seat and most of the original upholstery is nice except for the front seat being tattered.
The car was bought in July of 1949 by a 71 year old man he died in 1962 at the age of 84, sometime in that 13 years a coat of black paint was applied with either an electolux or hoover, more orange peel than the actual fruit. The Overdrive unit has been safety wired out of commission. There is not much rust, the rockers are solid, there is a small patch in the floor by the driver door and the right rear-most body mount in the trunk, I think the man hauled coal in the trunk, and there was the nicest set of snow-chains in the trunk so I'm sure it experienced some Pennsylvania winters.
It runs on it's own fuel system but I haven't run it long there was a home repair on the thermostat housing when the front bolt was apparently snapped of in the head and there is a water leak. Currently the brakes are being gone over then we can take it around the block when the roads are dry too much salt here in PA in the winter.
Jay

fast-dog

Re: 2365 club sedan

Post by fast-dog » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:51 pm

I have been working on our club sedan almost daily, brakes are being put back together, It fires right up but will need a carb rebuild, when the brakes are working I will be able to drive the car on private roads to determine what other mechanical repairs are needed. Cosmetically it is going to stay as is except for polishing the chrome as best as we are able.Here are some photos addressing a previous repair.
Thermostat housing had a bad leak, obviously someone had to make a modification due to a broken bolt
thermostat 2.JPG
With the housing removed the bolt is visible.
Cleaned up and then the plan is to weld on top of what remains of the bolt till there is metal above the head surface.
!cid__Image0.jpg
broken bolt cleaned.jpg
cleaned better.jpg
the plan is to weld.jpg
This is looking down the weld metal was peened while still hot.
looking at what I think is a broken bolt.jpg
Washer welded to broken bolt
on top of the broken bolt till it extended higher then the head then welded the washer.jpg
More photos next reply,
Jay

fast-dog

Post by fast-dog » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Nut welded to the washer
then weld a nut to the washer.jpg
This is what turned out
broken ez-out.jpg
Broken bolt with hole drilled for ez-out
what I thought was a broken bolt was a broken ez-out.jpg
This is what turned out the second time
second time the bolt came out.jpg
The threads at the very top of the hole are gone,have been for a while, but there is plenty of thread left to hold a water outlet.
I compared the Packard thermostat housing with one for a straight eight Chrysler, not close enough to make it work so the bottom flange of ours is going to be reinforced.
Hopefully tomorrow all the drums will be on and the brakes bled.
Where do I get an upper radiator hose?

fast-dog

Post by fast-dog » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:47 pm

Hello,
Fixed the gas door today by welding the hinge back together, usually when metal breaks the pieces can be aligned by the break this wasn't too easy there was metal missing in places. Luckily the springs were in the glove box with the door when we got the car. It was harder bolting it back onto the car than it was to weld.
missing gas door.jpg
missing gas door.jpg (10.73 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
gas door is fixed.jpg
hinge welded back together.jpg
this was eventually welded full length
there was metal missing, maybe the sharp edges were removed to make refueling less dangerous.jpg
The weld"s appearance isn't too nice but the condition of the base metal has to be considered. I was thinking that when the car was painted the paint might have froze the hinge and till the car needed gas they had to tear the door off. Where ever they found this paint it is a grandparent of POR 15, where it is on the threads of fasteners it very difficult to remove nuts.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:05 pm

Good Evening...You might check with NAPA for an upper radiator hose...or the Packard suppliers, Kanter, listed above or Max Merritt. Once you have the old girl on the road...you will enjoy her. We have a 1949 four door with 51,XXX miles on it and she is great fun to go to breakfast, lunch, hardware store, haircut and lots of other trips around town...Ernie in Arizona

fast-dog

Post by fast-dog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:30 am

me and packard.jpg
Thank you Ernie,
I am looking forward to driving the Packard. We have a straight 8 48 Chrysler
Picture taken at the Outer Banks, driven from Jim Thorpe, Pa about 900 mile round trip
IMG_7204.jpg
, and a 50 straight 8 Chrysler
as purchased Jan. 05.JPG
Paid 600 dollars for it the paint on the roof is original, the white spots are bird poop
Photo05291300.jpg
I am anxious to be able to compare their handling and performance. Yesterday I scrolled through Tinman_70"s posts (the first time I read all of his posts, it took me 4 days) this time I took notes and got a number for a hose. Front wheel seals are giving me a bit of a set-back, I am awaiting a call from New Jersey about the seals that measure approx. 30 thousandths bigger than the hole in the hub. I got seals from NAPA which have the correct diameters but are too thick putting the seal lip too close to the bearing, the rubber didn't go over the shoulder of the spindle and got pinched, this was after I tried to install a seal that is 30 thous. larger than the hole, my mistake I should have stopped and measured.So far I have 52 dollars in ruined seals,and I have installed a few seals through the years and it bothers me that this is now on my record. Last night I ordered the seal number that tinman_70 posted and am awaiting it's arrival

Have a wonderful New Year,
Jay
Last edited by fast-dog on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:51 am

Good Morning...Tinmann knows more than most of us about the 22/23 series Packards I do believe! He has had his down to the last nut and bolt, so he is a great coach when the rest of us are stumpted! Enjoy this site and Packardinfo as well. Ernie in Arizona ;)

jim/KB1MCV

Post by jim/KB1MCV » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi, Fast-dog
Congrats on your Packard.
Just saw your post and and thought I'd comment.
Parts are not hard to find, mostly, I'm sure you have seen Kanters billboard ad at the top of the site. Another vendor is Max Merritt, http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/
and yet another is Dave Flack in Dallas who (as far as I know) doesn't have a website but his email is:
flackmaster at sdcglobal.net and phone (AC two one four) 373- 7155. He has been a great help to me.
Good job on the repair on your thermostat housing, I always like to see people doing their own work.
The nut welded to the stud repair usually works, the last one I got involved in was the pretty much the same principle except for scale. The studs were cylinder head-to-crankcase studs on a Colt Pielstick marine diesel and around 3" in diameter. Bigger nuts but same principle.
As you probably know EZ-outs usually aren't.
You may get more responses posting under 'Ask the Man Who Owns One'.
It sounds like you are doing your homework as far as your Packard lore is concerned, don't confine your general searches for information to your series because there is quite a lot of overlap re engines and running gear.
Best of luck and Happy New Year.
JimKB1MCV

fast-dog

Post by fast-dog » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:01 am

I would like to report that two correct seals are being sent to me and I am not being charged for the one that I wrecked. Thank you Kanter Bros.
One night I walked past the car after turning off the shop lights and had to back up because the instrument dials were lumin... not sure of the correct word or spelling but they were glowing, I found that neat(I liked it).
I am going to go work on the brakes, late start today my wife's family celebrates Christmas today so Merry Christmas to all.
Jay

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am

If you don't mind being accused of heresy for not buying the "correct" original hose, you can get a Gates 22431 and cut to size. Got mine from Amazon for about $20 and free shipping after doing research on the Gates online catalog. See attached.
Upper Hose.jpg
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook