Its been a month now since I found this car and I have decided I might as well share some progress notes as I go along..
As you can see from the 1st pic the car is mostly complete (found a couple small pieces missing like the convertible top cradle). The top canvas will need to be redone as well as the steam-bent bows in the convertible frame (I will most likely opt for maple) but the metal parts of the frame are in perfect condition. The interior leather is brittle and so will be completely redone as well as the carpeting (Just picked up a Juki sewing machine for the job, fortunately I did car upholstery early in my adult life).
The front and rear fenders, the cowling, radiator, lights and light mounts, top,, tub and door trim and all upholstery have been removed from the chassis and set aside for either painting or chroming.
Removing the dash panel is proving difficult only because I cannot figure out for the life of me how to remove the horn button from the steering wheel (any suggestions on that would be greatly appreciated).
The head and block have been removed and while I was going to have them re-machined, I found there was a rather significant hole in cylinder #2 that would require re-boring and re-sleeving and a crack in the block that had been welded by the gentleman I got the car from. I'll still keep this engine as a backup but I found a complete engine and tranny from a 1923 from gentleman in MA that had it sitting in his barn for years. Only 2000 numbers off the original engine and looking like it is in perfect condition (even has the compressor on the tranny) It shipped yesterday to Penn-Dutch Restorations in PA for a refinishing
More to come. I really wanted to have the tub off by end of this week but that darned horn button has me in a predicament. Once the tub is off I will attack the chassis, leafs and axles and prep them for powder coating
If you're starting a project, large or small, please share your progress with us in pictures and words.
1 post • Page 1 of 1