1932 Packard Fire Truck

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
petewest

1932 Packard Fire Truck

Post by petewest » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 pm

While browsing eBay recently I found this photograph of a 1932 Packard squad car from Wolcott, NY. For several reasons I suspect this Packard was customized by the Buffalo Fire Appliance Co. If so, it would be a very interesting piece of the Buffalo story. A very similar vehicle was sold five or so years ago on eBay, possibly in New Jersey. I would like to ask it any of your readers can provide me with any information about this rig or even it’s whereabouts.

Peter West
Philomont, Va.
540-270-0200
pwest8@comcast.net
Attachments
1932 - Packard Squad Wolcott NY.jpg

34PackardGuy

Re: 1932 Packard Fire Truck

Post by 34PackardGuy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 pm

I hope someone else will have something specific for you on the vehicle itself. It's surely a 9th Series car (1932), and has the bumpers usually associated with the twelve cylinder model. The windshield frame is also curious as it resembles those used on the Dietrich custom-bodied cars, yet it seems unlikely that either a Twelve or a custom-bodied car would have been the basis for this vehicle unless it was the victim of a rear-end crash and the remains converted to this utility vehicle. It sure would be nice to know more about it.

westpeterson

Re: 1932 Packard Fire Truck

Post by westpeterson » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 am

Only the very early V-windshield Dietrichs were placed on the Super 8 chassis, and ONLY in 1932. This one, if originally a Dietrich, would have been a convertible victoria. If indeed it survived until recently, and with values of the Dietrichs at $1 million plus, the likleyhood that it remains a truck are slim and none.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c