PACKARD KEYS AND A PACKARD RING!

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Leeedy

PACKARD KEYS AND A PACKARD RING!

Post by Leeedy » Thu May 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Some of my Packard key collection. Ever seen a Packard ring like this one?

Of course, my most favorite Packard keys ever were the set that went away from me back in the 1970s. These had a top that was in the shape of a hollowed-out Packard radiator... and then inside was a 3-dimensional actual cormorant (or pelican or swan or whatever your preference to call it). I had a set of two of these keys in plastic flip-top cases, clear on top, maroon on the bottom. These keys were gold plated and incredibly detailed and visually appealing. Eventually someone reproduced my keys, but I've never seen another set.
Attachments
Leeedy key 1.jpg
This is a set of postwar PMCC factory-issued keys. The special gold-trimmed key fob here was from Earle C. Anthony and these were given to customers who bought new Packards BOTH prewar and postwar.
Leeedy key 2.jpg
These are mostly accessory aftermarket keys. Note that one version of crest key is chrome, another was gold plated. Also note differences in the Packard crest, font of logo and differences in the knight's helmet between the crest keys. Contrary to myths, not ALL crest keys were for Golden Anniversary Packards. These keys continue to be sold in the aftermarket with variations well into the 1960s and could still be found in key shops in the 1970s-80s. The accessory aftermarket dream car key on the left had two fold-out keys (one for doors/ignition, the other for trunk). The reason the Panther shown here is Danube Blue is because it was made from looking at the original Mitchell Panther which was indeed Danube Blue...NOT silver-gray as auction companies would have you believe.
Last edited by Leeedy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dave Czirr

Re: PACKARD KEYS AND A PACKARD RING!

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu May 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Leeedy, a very nice collection indeed. I have this one, keys uncut.
Attachments
Panther key trinket.jpg

Leeedy

Post by Leeedy » Fri May 30, 2014 6:08 am

Ahhh yes, thank you. I have more than what is shown here. I also have two more of the Panther keys. The very first one I got back in the 1960s actually has a red dot on the tail light. Never seen another finished like it. However, if you look at my posting of photos in response to concept cars, you will see the actual Danube Blue Panther from which the image on this key was made in the 1950s!

But didja ever see a little Packard ring like that?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 am

No, never saw a ring like that. Your key on the far right of the larger photo - key with the crest head - my 48 Custom came with a key just like that, perhaps supplied by the original dealer?

One thing about Packard keys that I always found curious is that they only used 250 different keys in a year, P1251 to P1500, and THE SAME 250 keys from 1935 thru 1956. Nowadays this comes in handy as every so often when someone is missing a key, just trying keys between local Packard owners often results in a match.

Leeedy

Post by Leeedy » Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 am

Yes. So many people don't know that the Briggs & Stratton key blanks that Packard used actually said "Packard Motor Car Company" on them. Why and how this has been so easily forgotten today is a mystery. THe key fob with the two standard Packard keys was actually issued from just before WW2 and just after. I got this one from the parts department at Earle C. Anthony in Los Angeles.

As for the Packard crest keys, people think there was one kind... but actually there were several kinds. Pay close attention to the knight's helmet. Also look at the fact that some were gold plated, some were chrome. Finally note that last set of crest keys actually said "Packard" in a similar font script to that used on Packard cars of the mid-1950s.

The little ring was something I got first as a child and then it was lost somehow. For whatever reason, I seem to recall getting it at the Michigan State Fairgrounds...not necessarily at the State Fair, but probably at one of the auto shows they once held there. Anyway, after many years of not having it, I found another and bought it. I saw others when I was a lad, but have not seen any in my adult years except this one. Perhaps someone out there in Packard land knows the story of these little rings. By the way, they were adjustable in size!

Let the ride decide

Post by Let the ride decide » Fri May 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Does key color signify anything?
Attachments
image.jpg
55 Packard keys

Leeedy

Post by Leeedy » Sat May 31, 2014 9:24 am

Let the ride decide wrote:Does key color signify anything?
The earlier Briggs & Stratton blanks were just brass. Later ones were nickel or chrome plated. An old used later version (for instance from a V8) if appearing brass color, is basically one where the plating just wore off. OR a re-cut early blank that was brass finish when new.