Voisin

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Dave Czirr

Voisin

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:21 am

OK, I know it's not a Packard. I was over at Precious Metals transport this AM and saw this car; 2nd time I've seen it - the first some years ago and w/o a camera. I'm guessing it's ready for a move, perhaps to the Hershey RM auction as is the 41 LeBaron Sport Brougham next to it. Gabriel Voisin's creations are majestic (and some would add "quirky") and rare - I doubt I've seen 15 in 50 years of looking at collectible cars and thought it was worth some space here. One feature that really caught my eye is how narrow the tires are - just thinking of the tiny footprints on the pavement! Hope you enjoy the images.

Image #5 is the headlamp maker's identification.
Attachments
Voisin 002 sm.jpg
Voisin 001 sm cr.jpg
Voisin 009 sm.jpg
Voisin 012 sm.jpg
Voisin 015 sm cr.jpg
Voisin 005 sm.jpg
Voisin 017 sm.jpg

Randy Berger

Re: Voisin

Post by Randy Berger » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks Dave for posting this rare auto.

John Harley

Post by John Harley » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Dave

Thanks ! Voisins have been some of my most favorite cars since I read and reread an article in the old Sports Gar Graphic when I was about 8. This magazine became Car and Driver shortly after that, so I'm dating myself.

That car belonged to the late John Mohr when I saw it a few years back at the Greenwich Concours. I climbed over the fence and talked to him for a few minutes. I managed to get him to start it so I could hear the sleeve valve engine.

Gabriel Voisin was the first person to flay an airplane in Europe, though his claims that the Wright Bros were frauds are a little much for someone whose uncle took Orville to Ohio State football games. He built at least 15,000 planes during the war

After WW1 he built automobiles in his aircraft factory. His chief engineer was Andre Lefebvre, who was oven of the first generation of aircraft engineers, i.e. self taught. When Voisin's business began to tank in the 30's he told Lefebvre to go work for Andre Citroen. There he designed the Traction Avant, the 2 CV and the DS series cars

Voisin was very intelligent, charismatic, right about a lot of things, and was somewhat of a polemicist. Like many people who are right about a lot of things, he didn't get a wide following.

Mohr's car is one of the few that don't have a factory body, it is a Rothschild body. Voisin had little tolerance for the weight of other people's coachwork. He built about 4 times as many cars as Bugatti, but many fewer survive. With sleeve valve engines and much aluminum they had a tough time in WW2

website

http://www.automobiles-voisin.fr/e_index.html

Regards

John Harley

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:29 am

Dave Czirr wrote: One feature that really caught my eye is how narrow the tires are - just thinking of the tiny footprints on the pavement! Hope you enjoy the images.

Those are beaded edge tyres, a forerunner of the standard beads we use on wellbase wheels nowadays. They are still available, run at very high pressures (circa 80 psi) and offer very little in the way of roadholding.

I did enjoy the images Dave. thanks for posting them.
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

classic car fan

More Voisin photos

Post by classic car fan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:24 pm

I was very fortunate to have worked for Mike Fennel in the early 80's and one of the cars I had the pleasure to participate in restoring was this 1931 V-12 C20 Simoun Demi-berline. Of course at that time I had not grasped what a rare and valuable piece of history this most important Voison was. Here are a few photos of the car before and after restoration. It is always a joy to view these great cars, but i can only compare the excitement of being handed the the responsibility of overseeing a restoration of one of these cars to being like a kid in a candy store.
Andy
Attachments
V1.JPG
V2.JPG