Now & Then - Riga, Latvia

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Dave Czirr

Now & Then - Riga, Latvia

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:08 am

Some interesting photos and info from Gunther Hoyt. It is thought the car was formerly the properly of the King Carol of Romania, though unconfirmed - anyone have any information about it? Coachbuilder unknown, any guesses? I would guess it's European coachwork, probably French; what appears to be a body-builder's plate is seen behind the front door but not enough resolution to make it out - does the shape of it suggest anything?

UPDATE: The car (1502 Super Eight) is at the Riga Motor Museum and the coachwork by Franay of Paris. Some further information from the museum:

After the II World War this luxury piece was brought to the Soviet Union as a war trophy, where it was used by high rank red army’s officers. In the 1960s the car was brought to Tartu, Estonia, but in the 1990s was bought by an antique vehicle collector from Tallinn. The restoration of the luxury Packard was carried out by a bodywork restoration company “Rode” llc. The restoration lasted from 1993 till 1998.

Last photo - note the Franay body plate at the base of the front door on this 1939 Franay which also had a long history during WW II of use by both the German and American forces. Plate seems the same size and shape. This car currently in the Marano Collection.
Attachments
Riga copy.jpg
Riga 1 copy.jpg
Riga 2 copy.jpg
Marano Nov 10 011 sm.jpg

5682-4775

Re: Now & Then - Riga, Latvia

Post by 5682-4775 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the photos and update, I remember when this flamboyant Packard surfaced in photos in the CNB years ago. Guessing the coachbuilder at the time, Saoutchik, Figone and Falaschi came to mind first though Franay could come up with the style too. Glad to see that it has been restored and looking so elegant again. Wonder whether the 1936 wire wheels were specified by the original owner or simply supplied with export chassis.

Dave Czirr

Re: Now & Then - Riga, Latvia

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Obviously the wheels currently on the vehicle as restored are not the correct wheels, I wonder whether the folks who restored the car are aware of this? And there may be more to this story yet to come. In a rather amazing coincidence, I'm advised that one of our PAC members is friendly with Prince Paul of Romania and will contact him about the car and perhaps provide some confirmation that it was built for his grandfather, or not.