904 Town Car by Franay

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Dave Czirr

904 Town Car by Franay

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Photo from the Bonham's auction site, text below abstraced from the same. Small market for such cars but they surely are impressive.

This particular car was probably commissioned in 1931 from the coachbuilder Marius Franay by Maria-Isabel-Josephina-Magdalena-Theodora Gonzales de Olanetta e Ibaretta, Viscountess of Los Antrines, Marquise of Valterrazzo, Duchess of Montpensier and cousin of the King of Spain, Alfonso XIII. The chassis had been ordered some months previously from Établissements Barbezat, the French Packard importer, located in Boulogne-sur-Seine.
Attachments
904 Town car by Fanay.jpg

westpeterson

Re: 904 Town Car by Franay

Post by westpeterson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:24 am

Nice looking car. Imagine how great it would look without the trunk on it, and if you painted those wheels properly....
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 am

I agree West,stunning car, Franay did some spectacular design and construction work. But I disagree about the wheels being painted "properly"; first chromed Disteel wheels were a factory option, and secondly as a one-off, buyer could specify just about anything. Now we could say that as a severely formal car, they are a bit much.

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 am

Sorry, Dave. That's what I meant. Painted properly (in my own opinion as to what is proper), as opposed to painted improperly (in my own opinion as to what would be improper). I know chrome was option, and as you stated, too much.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c