Packard 1937 by Pennock of the Hague

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Ted Mooren

Packard 1937 by Pennock of the Hague

Post by Ted Mooren » Fri May 22, 2015 11:32 am

I came across your interesting forum, after I recovered a long lost photograph of a Packard I once owned.
Maybe photograph and story are of interest to Packard lovers.
In 1959 I bought for peanuts a 6-cylinder (type 120?) 1937 Packard (in showroom condition!), with a 5-seat cabriolet coachwork by "Pennock coachbuilders" of the Hague of a widow in Driebergen, the Netherlands.
(Since the car had been used during WWII, when people where not supposed to own a car anymore, nor was petrol available, I fear her late husband was - at least - Nazi friendly…)
I was an 18-years old student than and since fuel was/is VERY expensive in the Netherlands, I could not keep the Packard and sold it to a wealthy Dutch collector at Utrecht and… bought an enormous two-seater double six factory-build Packard of ± 1927 (?), which literally crossed my way in my then home village …
The 70+ year old couple who owned it found it to heavy to drive in our small country without long straights. Therefore they had just bought a… Renault Dauphine (!), but their dealer was not interested in exchanging the Packard. (I will look for pictures and then forward them.)
Of course I had to sell that one to after a short while.
I know no more about the history/whereabouts of both cars.
The biggest trip I made with the Pennock was with five (of course paying!) friends to Switzerland. Despite the relatively small engine output and only three gears, we climbed high mountains without any problem…

I enclose a picture of the Pennock and friends (1960).

Kind regards,

Ted Mooren,
Amsterdam.
Packard 1937-1959-def.jpg

Dave Czirr

Re: Packard 1937 by Pennock of the Hague

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri May 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi Ted, and welcome!

I'm so glad you found our forum and posted your most interesting story which I'm sure others will also find very interesting. If your Pennock-bodied car was a 1937 6-cylinder, it would have been known as a Model 115C. The "120" would have been quite similar but with a small 8 cylinder engine and these two lines of cars constituted Packard's "junior" or middle price cars as compared to their "senior" cars of that era, the Super Eight and the Twelve. The junior models were quite popular for export, in part because of lower pricing and excise or import tax, but also because they were smaller and more nimble and thus better suited to European roads. But the vast majority of the imported cars and especially so the for junior models were factory-bodied so a custom-bodied one would be quite uncommon, and even more so on the 6-cylinder chassis. In fact in over 50 years involvement with Packards I can't recall ever seeing a photo or even hearing of a custom-bodied 115C. Graber in Switzerland did body some junior Packards, as did quite a few of the British coachbuilders, Nordbergs and Norrmalm in Sweden, Franay in France, and a trickle of others. But junior Packards with custom coachwork are very much in the minority (almost unheard of) and yours will provoke considerable interest. I'm going to have to do a bit of research on Pennock, I've heard of them but never in connection with a Packard - if you know more about them or have photos of Pennock-bodies cars on other chassis, we'd love to see them as well.

The other Packard you mention you call a "double six", do I take this to mean the engine was a V12? If so, these were made in two periods of time, 1915 thru 1924 and 1932 thru 1939, and and these were truly the pinnacle for Packard's in those two eras. We'd love to see a photo of that one, and of course any more photos and recollections that you might have.

The Netherlands was a significant export market for Packard, leading up to WW II their agent was N.V.H. Englebert's Automobielhandel with facilities at Theresianstraat 24 in The Hague, and Robijastraat in Amsterdam.

Again, many many thanks for finding us and posting your story!!

PS - About once a year I'm in Holland, either Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Ijmuiden, on my way to catch a cruise to somewhere on Holland America Line. Next time I see myself heading your way I'll let you know - maybe we can arrange to meet for a few hours.

Dave

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Fri May 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Ted and Dave,

The photo posted looks much more like a 1940 than a 1937 Packard, from the shape of the grill shell and the split windscreen, although being a custom bodied car anything is possible.

EDIT - Just realised I called Ted, Tom! My apologies....... :|
Last edited by Ozstatman on Sat May 23, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat May 23, 2015 5:44 am

I agree Mal, quite a few features that look later than 1937. I don't recall just when Germany invaded The Netherlands, around November 1939 as I recall and imports from the USA would certainly have ceased at that time. Production of the 1940 6-cylinder models began August 8, 1939 so it's just possible a 1940 model could have arrived in The Netherlands before the war started. But it would also seem not likely that a coachbuilder would have been involved in such work during war time. Perhaps the car was rebodied after the war? I say "rebodied" because I don't believe Packard provided 6-cylinder chassis only without bodies so likely the car was converted from a factory-bodied car, perhaps a coupe?

Hopefully Ted can provide some more information.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 am

A Google search turned up this information.

http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?opt ... 4&Itemid=1

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Sat May 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the link to Pennock, very interesting. The Austin Sheerline Convertible caught my eye seemingly to be somewhat similar to the Pennock Packard. And speaking of which, a couple of features are the door handles being placed very low on the door and a pronounced trunk bulge.
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

Ted Mooren

Post by Ted Mooren » Mon May 25, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks for the interest- and information in/on the Packard-Pennock.
Unfortunately I lost almost all of my pre 1980 documents and photographs, after the cameraman who kept them for me while I was working in Sweden became psychotic and destroyed his (and mine!) paperwork, films, etc.
Therefore I have to work from a very bad memory…
However I still have an amateur-painting, done by a friend of mine from a 2.4x2.4 photograph. The people are my parents, but the painter invented the background, since the actual picture was taken in front of a brick wall…
The painting was a gift to my parents, who where very pleased by the car (as long as my ownership lasted...), but who themselves did not own a motorcar. (The majority of Dutch people did’nt own one in the sixty’s: small country, short distances, perfect public transport and the famous Dutch bicycles... Anyway, a drivers license was hard to obtain after heavy examination and only from 18-years of age onwards.)
I keep on searching for the two more photographs (of the six and the twelve cylinder) I happen to remember to be around somewhere.

Concerning the twelve cylinder: My lousy memory tells me that it was a double six, with two parallel banks of six cylinders, not a V-12. Is that possible?

Regards,

Ted Mooren, Amsterdam.
Attachments
Packard-2.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon May 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Ted, the painting looks very much like a 1938 or 1939 Packard.

If you're "double six" had two 6-cylinder blocks but a common crankshaft, then it would be a V12 configuration though some companies, especially a couple of European makers, liked to call the "double sixes".

Ted Mooren

Post by Ted Mooren » Tue May 26, 2015 3:19 am

Thanks Dave.
In a Philips book (issue 1939) on their radio valve production I found this picture of part of their factory with a Packard, looking very much like the Pennock in this topic, parked along side the building in the Dutch city of Eindhoven.
Is this a factory-build car or a Pennock version (as far as you can make out from this copy of a very small part of the original book-printed photograph)?
Regards,

Ted Mooren.
Attachments
Packard-Prhilips-2.jpg
Packard-Prhilips-CU.jpg

Ted Mooren

Post by Ted Mooren » Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Found!
I did find the photographs I have been looking for.
The Pennock six convertible and the factory (?) twelve two seater. Even though it does not look that way, the two seater is the bigger of the two!
Attachments
Pennock + Healy.jpg
Pennock Haarlem.jpg
Pennock+12cyl.jpg
12 cylinder.jpg