Packard 1937 by Pennock of the Hague

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Don Shields

Re: Packard 1937 by Pennock of the Hague

Post by Don Shields » Tue May 26, 2015 8:05 pm

By the front bumper and the bonnet side vents I'd say the Pennock car is a 1939 Six. The two-seater by the front fenders is a Tenth Series or 1933 model year Packard, but the front bumper is from an Eight, not a Twelve. The headlights are aftermarket (very common on Euro Packards) so we can't identify the model by them, and the parking lights are too blurry to be of any help in identification either. So based on what is identifiable in the picture, I'd say the two-seater is a Tenth Series Eight model 1001 with a 127 1/2 inch wheelbase or possibly a model 1002 Eight with a 136 inch wheelbase. Packard built roadsters in both models in 1933.

Edit: My apologies for the misidentification of the Pennock car above. A closer look at those bonnet side vents shows that they are indeed vintage 1938 with three sets of body-colored vents. The '37 sixes had four sets of body-colored vents and the '39's had one long set of body-colored vents.
Last edited by Don Shields on Sat May 30, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Mooren

Post by Ted Mooren » Wed May 27, 2015 3:48 am

What can I say, Dave.
Your knowledge and my memory obviously are contradictory (one should believe you and not me, I fear…).
However: Is it possible there’s a difference between cars (i.e. chassis-engine combinations) for the North American market and Europe? Like for instance you said Packard hardly ever sold bare chassis of the smaller cars, yet Pennock build several coachworks on Packard chassis.
Also I only owned one twelve cylinder car in my life and that can only have been this two seater…

Further to dating the Packard in front of the Philips building:
- Apparently the city started removing the tram rails (visible in the picture) in 1937 and the ‘new’ road surface was finished in March of 1938.
This makes the car a pre 1938 model.
- Dr. Anton Philips was an avid Packard devotee. Therefore this actual car may have been his. Apparently his Packard was shipped (back?) to America just before the outbreak of WWII in Europe (attack on- and occupation of Holland by the Germans: May 10th, 1940).

Regards,

Ted Mooren.

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Sat May 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Ted,

The Pennock could well be a '38. It would require a combination of factors to align but it could well happen. From my understanding '38's would have become available late in '37, don't know the date they were released but I'm sure someone can supply that info. Therefore an early production car, if bought and shipped immediately to Holland, could have been made available to Pennock late '37 for immediate work on the coachwork . With Pennock working flat out, it's conceivable it could have been on the road early in '38!

And I thought that maybe another route for dating could be by the number plate of UK 65 63? Although a quick Google search turned up this - http://ifarm.nl/plates/rules.html which from my reading would indicate the registration is post WW2. And here's another number plate site - http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/world/EU_NETH.html Or maybe your registration authority has records going back to pre WW2 and by following a paper trail going back from UK 65 63 they might be able to verify the date first registered, but that's a real long shot.
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

Ted Mooren

Post by Ted Mooren » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:39 am

Thanks for your response, Ozstatman.
After WWII they changed our license plates (previously organised by district: The enclosed frontal picture of my barn find ± 1927 Hupmobile shows a pre WWII license plate for the Dutch district “North Holland”, showing two letters and five digits) several times.
Every time you had to send the ‘old’ license paper back to the authorities. And don't forget the German occupation (when this Hupmobile was hidden away, which in our small but densely populated country isn’t easy), after which our National administration was in chaos and/or destroyed.
Therefore it is impossible to recover the originally issued license details and thereby original details of the cars.
Somehow I will find out more about the cars, after all they where sold to collectors in the Netherlands.
Attachments
Hupmobile-front kopie.jpg