Identify this car?

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Dave Czirr

Identify this car?

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:12 am

Not a Packard but anyone care to identify this rather impressive car? I'm guessing the location is the U.S. Embassy in Paris. Some similarity in style to Chrysler but not enough (for me at least) to be definitive.
Attachments
unknown 2.jpg

Adam

Re: Identify this car?

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:38 am

I will take a stab at a 1932 Imperial, with a special body (no running boards and open driving position). However, my Chrysler book shows the radiator shell as chromed and this one appears to be painted.

So I will bow to anyone with greater knowledge, but I say Imperial !!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:49 am

I'm told the occasion is the arrival or departure of the Austrian Chancellor Kurt Schuschnigg in Paris. Sure would be nice to know the coachbuilder.

5682-4775

Post by 5682-4775 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:01 am

Hi Dave

Its an early 1930's Renault Reinstella which looks somewhat like the concurrent Chrylser. I'd guess the town car body might be by Kellner.

Steve

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:09 am

Great call Steve, you've really impressed us! - looks like the ID is unmistakable. That's a European model I'd never heard of and after looking at some images (a somewhat similar formal style attached) I believe you hit the target. And of course it would then be logical that the coachwork would be by a French firm, and though there are others, who better than Kellner. It's a dull day in this hobby that you don't learn something new.

PS - I see it spelled Reinastella.
Attachments
Renault Reinstella.jpg

John Harley

Post by John Harley » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Dave

That is a Reinastella Type 2, i.e. face lifted. The Reinastella was the first Renault with the radiator in front of the engine and they were initially styled to look like the older cars as much as possible.

The Type 2was a restyle done in 1932 to make the car look more "American", i.e like a Chrysler. Sir Henry Royce was very admiring of Chryslers too, so Louis Renault was in good company. I rather like the appearance of the earlier cars better.

You will remember the visit we made about 15 years ago to a collection of two friends of mine in Connecticut. They had two Reinastellas. Very attractive cars with a 7.1 litre straight eight, huge disc wheels with Michelins and solid nickel bright work. Once was a sedan and the other a skiff by Kellner or LaBourdette that belonged to Coco Chanel. All of the interior surfaces of that car except for the seats were wood parquet. Oh Dear...

A visit to the article about Louis Renault on wikipedia is edifying. I am afraid the sorry story of his death is probably true given what I have read about the evidence and the decades of prevarication

Regards

John Harley
Attachments
andria_10_reinastella_limousine_1928.jpg

5682-4775

Post by 5682-4775 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:55 am

Hi Dave

Thanks for the kudos! I only know the look of these from an article in The Classic Car years ago. It occurred to me at the time how much the restyle looked like the concurrent Chrysler.

Now, that model name "Reinastella", I've forgotten what that translates to English. Anyone know?

I could picture Stanley Kowalsky in Street Car Name Desire hollering... "ReinaSTELLA!!"...."REINASTELLA!!!!".

Steve

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:51 am

Wow. I have never seen one of those. I was taken in by the shape of the front wing, which even looked the same profile as the Imperial.

Interesting.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.