Unusual Packards

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Tinman_70

Unusual Packards

Post by Tinman_70 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:39 am

A friend sent me some pictures of a couple of unusual Packards. I'm sure the railroad car is a Packard but not so sure about the wrecker(s).
Packard Rail Car.jpg
Packard Wreckers.jpg
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

5682-4775

Re: Unusual Packards

Post by 5682-4775 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:17 am

Both wreckers converted from passenger cars are Studebakers, 1928 models, one a President the other a Commander. Very likely both were the last models to have the 354 ci Big Six engine, very torquey and powerful.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:19 am

Not sure I have ever seen a 1920s Studebaker. I remember seeing some 1930s examples here in the UK, years ago. I always thought them very ugly, but the 1920s cars look great.

There seems to be a big difference in physical size between the President and the Commander. More than just photgraphic perspective?

And the railway car is amazing. Somone has taken the trouble to fit 1940s Packard hub caps to it. It seems an unlikely vehicle to be converted for what I suppose was track inspection work or someting. Wasn`t there anything more mundane and railway specific for the task?

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

5682-4775

Post by 5682-4775 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:48 am

Hi Adam

Indeed the Studebaker President then was significantly larger than the Commander. Of the rail inspection cars, you'll notice that most were seven passenger sedans or limousine. Their primary purpose was to transport railroad officials inspecting the rail lines, not as section crew work vehicles. As such, they were typically older luxury cars, most likely the one the company president had as his personal limousine, were still in great shape as they were chauffeur maintained, and also had little resale value which was typical second-hand limousines in the used car market. In this case, its a 1930 745 seven passenger sedan or limousine, Packard's top-of-the-line series for that year. The conversion to rail inspection car probably took place in the mid-'30's, hopefully it still survives in a museum somewhere.

Steve