Visits to Automotive Restorations, Lebanon, NJ

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
lancia

Re: Visits to Automotive Restorations, Lebanon, NJ

Post by lancia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Dave,

the 1917 Twin-six looks like a second series 225 Salon Brougham with Westinghouse air shocks. There are 3-4 factory photos on the Detroit public library website for this model (body No 150 I think) but the interior shot might be of a 235 version with extra seats.
The rear springs on the second photo are in the characteristic position indicating the Westy springs leak air to fast to keep up with. Not good for the chassis or body, in fact I blame the breakage of my left rear engine mount on my 335 on the hard ride this will lead to. I personally could not manage to get my Westys apart; but Andrew at Belcher Engineering in the UK did after making a special tool and he replaced the seals; any T6 owners needing info on dealing with this problem is welcome to get in touch at jr357@cam.ac.uk (about 10-15% of T6 survivors seem to have these Packard non-approved springs and I've never seen a photo of any of the survivors riding at the correct height).

Jonathan Reeve

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Jonathan - thanks for the comments. I much admire the Twin Sixes and other earlier Packards but must admit I'm woefully ignorant of most any of the details, my own experience is with 1934 and newer. I can tell a 1st Series from the remainder, and that's about it, though I can't resist taking photos of them when I see them and have occasionally wondered if I'm mechanically competent enough to own and use one. That particular car is just sitting in the shop, perhaps awaiting it's time for some service - I really didn't ask but will be down there again day after tomorrow and will inquire more. I do know the owner's name but was without permission to use it with the pictures.

Though we don't get a lot of queries on this vintage of Packard here, any further comments you'd like to add about them, unique features, etc., would surely be welcomed.

Dave

lancia

Post by lancia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the interest! Take a peek at the packardsonline (all one word) website - lots of owners of the early cars have sent in photos (I expect you have already, but others may not have). If most of the Twin sixes are there (and that's unlikely) survival has been about 1 in 200 cars. Another great website obtained most easily by googling the three words <mmm packard michigan> is devoted to the factory photos mounted by the Detroit public library. and the Twin six is well represented.

Jonathan

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Yes, I've spent many hours browsing the Grundy site, and the "Making of Modern Michigan" as well. But good point - perhaps many of our readers are unfamilair with those sites. You've given me the incentive to create a post about these other sites. Many thanks.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Visited the shop again today with the local CCCA region for a tech session. The 1938 "120" by Graber continues it's progress towards Pebble Beach this year. All the machine work has been finished on the motor and it's ready for assembly. Trial fitting of the right side door. That's shop owner Steve Babinsky demonstrating the forming of a fender patch panel. He's customized the power hammer by adding a second unit on the other side so that two different sets of dies can be used without having to stop and change dies.

Also a few more pictures (next post) of the 1917(?) Twin Six with a couple of closeups of the Westinghouse air shocks.
Attachments
Babinsky 4 24 2011 001 sm.jpg
Babinsky 4 24 2011 009 sm.jpg
Babinsky 4 24 2011 004 sm.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Twin Six brougham.
Attachments
Babinsky 4 24 2011 007 sm.jpg
Babinsky 4 24 2011 008 sm.jpg
Babinsky 4 24 2011 003 sm.jpg

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks for the photos of the activity in Steve's shop, Dave. Very impressive, and I'm glad that Steve allows you to do that.
Is there any sign of that second 1108 convertible sedan in there? It was going to be repainted, but I don't see any sign of it in your photos.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 am

Hi West: Yes, the other 1108 CS is there, off to the side a bit out of the mainstream of activity. I didn't walk over to take a look at what state it was in. But I'll be back down to the shop in a week or so to do a bit more mapping for the upcoming Henry Joy Tour and I'll try to remember to snag a couple of photos of it for you.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:03 pm

1938 Graber progress as of Memorial Day weekend. Rebuilding of the engine and other mechanical components has been completed.
Attachments
Greenwich 2011 005 sm.jpg

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 am

Thanks for the update, Dave. Did you notice any progress on the 1108 CS?
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c