what year is this Packard?

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
yellowjacket

what year is this Packard?

Post by yellowjacket » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:28 am

Also wondering if anyone has ever seen a photo like this one? It hung in my Grandfather's living room for as long as I can remember. My Dad and Grandfather have since both passed away, so the history on it's origin is lost. If anyone has seen something like this and can give me any information on why or where it was created, I would be forever thankful.
Frame is old, glass is visibly the wavy old kind. Picture was framed previously in a smaller frame, as white background is sun stained at edges to outline of the old frame.
Picture up top is related, but was added by me later. Dated July 13, 1920, picture of Packard Company, in Boston.
$5 bill for size reference.

I can get a better photo once the sun goes away, if desired!
IMG_1149.JPG

Don Shields

Re: what year is this Packard?

Post by Don Shields » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:31 pm

With its' drum-style headlamps and the steering wheel on the right side it is pre-1913. It looks a lot like the car depicted on page 68 of the Crestline Dammann/Wren Packard book, described as a 1912 seven passenger Packard Six Touring car on the 133 inch wheelbase chassis. They state it was priced at $5000.00.

yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:28 am

Thank you SO MUCH. This is great information which I recorded and printed out for the back of the picture!

If anyone can shed any light on the picture itself with the all white background....
If anyone knows why such a photo was produced(dealer sales tool?). It is a very old photo and frame.

Don Shields

Post by Don Shields » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:11 pm

You're very welcome. As to the picture, it most likely is a factory photo taken for marketing purposes. In the above-referenced book there are numerous photos with the same whited-out background dating as far back as 1903.