Original Detail Features

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Dave Czirr

Re: Original Detail Features

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Just snitched this one from eBay, a good photo of the fore-to-aft headliner and sun visor detail of an original 22nd series Custom 8, as is the Botwick car.
Attachments
fore-to-aft headliner 22nd series Custom.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:33 am

1934 Eight trunk rack swiveling support pedestal, sidemount equipped car.

Original sidemount mirror lock and key from 1934 accessory mirror of the style that clamped onto the metal sidemount cover.
Attachments
Sidemount mirror lock.jpg
rack support.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 pm

Artillery wheel, 1934 Twelve town car by LeBaron.
Attachments
34 Twelve artillery wheel LeBaron.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 am

Believed to be the original fuel pump-to-carburetor gas line insulating wrap, used 1933-36 on Eights and Super Eights and probably other years and models. Packard P/N 209941 for Super Eight, 209379 for Eights.
Attachments
34 fuel line.jpg
34 fuel line wrap.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon May 02, 2011 5:35 am

A few detail pictures of the factory A/C installation on Sal Saiya's 1941 "180". Some of the fittings like the dryer are not OEM but the overall installation is. EDITED 5/24/11: Adding a picture of the rear package shelf outlet ventilator.
Attachments
Florham Park 2011 009 sm.jpg
Florham Park 2011 011 sm.jpg
Florham Park 2011 012 sm.jpg
Florham Park 2011 008 sm.jpg
Florham Park 2011 010 sm.jpg
41 AC ventilator.jpg

Packardbarry

Post by Packardbarry » Sun May 08, 2011 5:30 am

Heres a photo of a '36 EIGHT i ran onto the other day that has a number of originality details.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2659555328/nm0000964

A. Body/Wheel color on Hub Cap rings.
B. Body/Wheel color on Hub Cap "PACKARD EIGHT" circle. Assume luggage rack emblem "PACKARD EIGHT" got body color also
Whats everyones thoughts as to if the HC and Emblem being body color was standard or an option. Have seen it on many '33-'36 photos and parts book tells u to specify color
C. Body color on Hood Corner Bumper
D. Body color on Pad/Gasket between headlight stantion and fender.
E. Body color on bumper indented area.
F. Body color on Gasket between running brd and fender.
G. Body color on Fender Welting
H. Pin Strip in bumper indented area. Factory playing around? Request from customer? Dealer done?
I. THINK ! i also see a Pin Strip on the side mount cover side plate about 2" from the trim ring. Again - not standard

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue May 10, 2011 5:23 am

Thanks for posting, useful information! I must admit I'm not familiar enough with that year and model to add anything.

On another website I just added this picture, cropped from a photo from MSU's "Making of Modern Michigan" to address the question of whether the front engine support cradle was black or engine color. Lot's of other interesting details in this photo as well, for example note the oil filler tube is engine color (gray) and not black as is often done. Also note the connection point for the battery ground cable at the forward generator bracket bolt. Photo is from the 22nd Series production line. If you're not familiar with the MSU site, it's a great collection of original Packard factory photos. Just enter "Packard" into the seach box.

http://mmm.lib.msu.edu/search/index.cfm
Attachments
22nd series chassis cropped.jpg

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed May 11, 2011 12:13 am

Very interesting picture. It is really helpful to see details like which colour the components should be. Is grey the correct colour for 22nd & 23rd series eights? Mine was green when i first acquired it and in my ignorance I kept it green when I rebuilt the engine.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed May 11, 2011 5:10 am

Adam wrote:Very interesting picture. It is really helpful to see details like which colour the components should be. Is grey the correct colour for 22nd & 23rd series eights? Mine was green when i first acquired it and in my ignorance I kept it green when I rebuilt the engine.

Adam..
Hi Adam: There's always been a wee bit of contention over this. The "official" position (judging standards of both national Packard Clubs) is that they were all gray. In fact all the in-line 8s from 1948 thru 1954 except the 1954 "359" engine (bronze) were gray by their position and there's no debate about the 51-54 years, and there is no debate that the 21st series were green. But some 22nd and perhaps 23rd series senior cars (356 engines) and perhaps a few others which appear to be unmolested and original are green including one that I owned. Mine was a very early 22nd series Custom 8, sold in 1947) and whether that also applies to the others with apparent green engines is not known to me. Perhaps, as the 22nd series was in concurrent production since April 1947 alongside the 21st series, the 356 engines (and maybe some others?) were green during that time? Perhaps there were some 22nd series start-up issues and some were painted green? But that's just speculation. I guess the bottom line is that if you want to compete for major awards in Packard events, gray is the safe choice. It will be interesting to see if Robert Neal's forthcoming book on the 22nd/23rd series cars touches on this subject - the book is due out this year and Robert, based on his two prior books on Packard engines, is a meticulous researcher.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 am

Thank you Dave. My engine had been repainted green when I got it. That was meant to constitute an overhaul in the eyes of a previous owner, i think. When I had it in pieces for a rebuild, I repainted everything in the same colour. It sounds as though i am not completely wrong in doing that. It will never be competing for Packard awards over here so I am not going to worry about it.

I will definitely look out for Robert`s book when it appears.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.