Original Detail Features

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Don R's Cars

Re: Original Detail Features

Post by Don R's Cars » Sun May 26, 2013 6:29 am

Don R's Cars wrote:Thanks Dave. I did not know about the lock location on the mirror. I did know about the wheel lock - for some reason the previous owner had unlocked it and rotated the cover plate as shown. Maybe he forgot - that's how stuff gets stolen!
I put this lock back on the spare yesterday and found out why it was left open - when I rotate it to the locked position the key will not come out! Even after lubrication with WD-40 I could not get the key to come out so I had to leave it unlocked, is there some secret I am not aware of?
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Sun May 26, 2013 11:51 am

No secret, just a simple lock. WD-40 is a water dispersant and not a lubricant so you might try some lock lubricant which is typically graphite based - I use Lock-Ease but there are lots of brands around. Just keep gently working the lock and it should free up.
Attachments
Lock Ease.JPG

Don R's Cars

Post by Don R's Cars » Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 am

34PackardGuy wrote:No secret, just a simple lock. WD-40 is a water dispersant and not a lubricant so you might try some lock lubricant which is typically graphite based - I use Lock-Ease but there are lots of brands around. Just keep gently working the lock and it should free up.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

Leeedy

Post by Leeedy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 am

Dave Czirr wrote:Photo courtesy of Stuart Blond of the decal used on the center section of the batwing air filter on the 1955 Caribbeans, part # 476001; not used on the 1956 Caribbeans. This photo appeared in an issue of The Cormorant News Bulletin quite a few years ago. The original decal may (?) have been the same as the artwork on the back cover of the Senior catalog, 2nd picture.
Actually... I am unsure of how many 1955 production Caribbeans actually were so equipped with this decal on the batwing oil bath air filter. The Howard Hughes/Jean Peters 1955 Caribbean (which was a low serial number and I first examined it at just over 600 miles on the odometer) never had such a decal. You can look back at the old TPC article and look closely at the underhood photos. Not there. The jury is still out as to whether this decal was used in general production or merely installed on a few display cars as extra visual "wow" factor.

The real concern I have is that after all these years, I continue to see 4-barrel carb air filter housing decals stuck on 2-4-barrel batwing air filter housings. Why? There are good pics in old TPCs. And many of the batwing air filters that are correct, somehow manage to attach the decals in the wrong position on the "pots"...

Anyway, something to think about.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:09 am

Photo from an original 726 4-door sedan (403) showing detail of the seat upholstery and welting. Car exterior color was black.
Attachments
Barn Queens 013 sm cr.jpg

dpmardon

Post by dpmardon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 am

great idea, big help to first time owner, thanks

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:35 pm

ACCESSORY SPOTLIGHTS

OK not an actual car, but genuine period accessories interest me too, and I recently bought an original NOS front 'Road Light' kit, comprising 2 lights, mounting bolts, wiring, etc., so I thought I'd 'do my bit' and post images here in case they were of use to anyone.

The part number (according to its 'packard' box) is PA-403406 '1 PAIR ROADLIGHTS'. The box also has 18974 printed on it.

The two lamps appear to be identical save for the length of the mounting bolts. Both have 'Packard' stamped into the rear lamp bowl chrome at the top, and 'FOG' cast into the glass lenses. The installation diagram is original but faded; I will try and scan and upload it; from that I suspect these might be for a Clipper, but thats just a guess.

If anyone could use any more detailed pictures, not a problem, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Attachments
Accessory Road Light Kit.jpg
Accessory Road Light - Full Kit
Accessory Road Light.jpg
Accessory Road Light

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:43 pm

ACCESSORY BACK-UP LIGHT KIT

At the same time as the Road Light Kit, I also came by a 'Back-up Light Kit, again NOS Packard, boxed. The part number is PA-416077, and the box also has '19393' printed on it. The two lamps are identical, again with 'Packard' stamped into the top of the shell. The kit comes with mounting hardware (direct to the body), wiring, and the switch assembly. Note in the picture that git came with two slightly different switches, and three examples of two different switch mounting brackets.

Again it came with more than one installation diagram, which I'll try to scan/upload when I can (one attached for now)
Attachments
Accessory Back Up Light Kit.jpg
Accessory Back Up Light Kit
Accessory Back Up Light.jpg
Accessory Back Up Light
Back Up Light Installation Sheet 1.pdf
(131.19 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

analyse999

Post by analyse999 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

1941 110 Original Clock

And finally for tonight, I came by a nearly-new original clock for my own car. Its virtually perfect, but interestingly, whilst the plastic lens appears clear in normal light, angled flash lighting shows that inside the plastic itself there is the beginning of crazing, caused I suspect by the deterioration of the material itself, rather than marks/discolouration to the inner or outer faces.

I'm thinking of using my original clock lens to try and remould/remanufacture some new clock lenses for my car. Has anyone any experience of trying this; any tips ??

Best Regards,

Howard.
Attachments
1941 Packard 110 Clock - natural light.jpg
Clock Face - Natural Light
Clock Face in Flash light showing internal crazing in plastic.jpg
Clock face in Flashlight showing internal lens crazing
IMG_8744.jpg
Clock rear

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Per the 1942-1949 Packard Accessory Price list:

Part No. 403406 "LIGHTS, fog and road" are listed as being applicable to the 22nd and 23rd Series. Originally $15.50 for a pair.
Part No. 416077 "LIGHT, backing" is listed for the 23rd Series Super DeLuxe and Custom Models. Originally $7.00 each.