Original Detail Features

Post your favorite Packard photos, contemporary or vintage.
Dave Czirr

Re: Original Detail Features

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:54 am

There has been ongoing controversy over whether or not all the 33-36 caps had black rings and black background to the legend, these photos of hub cap colors provided to me. They certainly appear to be original and unmolested caps.
Attachments
1 copy.jpg
2 png copy.jpg
3 copy.jpg

Don R's Cars

Post by Don R's Cars » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:27 pm

I have sold my original 1934 1100 model and it will be picked up around January 2. I have posted a number of photos in this thread but if there are any other areas where someone needs to see any original items please let me know and I will get some pictures before the car leaves.
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:30 am

Hi Don; I'm glad to hear the car is sold and I hope it has found an owner who gives it the preservation it deserves and also can enjoy many happy years and miles with it.

I've always been a bit disappointed in this thread, I had assumed many folks would be willing to take the time to photographically preserve original details while they are still there to be seen but alas it hasn't been so. Please, any detail pictures of known authentic details you have should be posted here. One thing I'd like you to look for is a decal like the attached on the Angleset differential, I've looked at plenty of them and never seen this decal which was noted on a '34 Super Eight.
Attachments
Angleset gear oil decal.png
(2.41 MiB) Downloaded 4555 times

Packardbarry

Post by Packardbarry » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:21 am

Dave Czirr wrote:Hi Don; I'm glad to hear the car is sold and I hope it has found an owner who gives it the preservation it deserves and also can enjoy many happy years and miles with it.

I've always been a bit disappointed in this thread, I had assumed many folks would be willing to take the time to photographically preserve original details while they are still there to be seen but alas it hasn't been so. Please, any detail pictures of known authentic details you have should be posted here. One thing I'd like you to look for is a decal like the attached on the Angleset differential, I've looked at plenty of them and never seen this decal which was noted on a '34 Super Eight.
Interesting DECAL Dave. Ive never seen one either. Wonder if it ended up on a rebuilt unit. Does the oil called for match what PACKARD spec. on their lub chart?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:30 am

Good question, don't know. The '34 Eight Owner's Manual lubrication chart simply says to see your Packard dealer for a list of approved rear axle lubricants and I've never managed to find such a list. My '34 was a 1-owner car, reasonably low mileage when I bought it in 1963 and had apparently always been serviced by Packard/Brooklyn up until a year or two before I bought it so I would have thought that I had a good chance that decal would be on my car. After cleaning away decades of grime and grease, no decal nor any indication it had ever been there. The name Whitmore is vaguely familiar as a producer of lubricants, maybe a little research on them is in order. Whitmore is still very much in the lubricant business - I'll try a contact with Whitmore and see if they have an archivist or company historian who might have something of interest for us.

http://www.whitmores.com/

PS - browsing the gear oil section of the Whitmore site I see they list "Paragon" brand as one of several EP gear oils and note (unlike the others) that it has the classical sulfur/phosphorous type additive. I believe this the type of EP additive that was not recommended when "yellow" metals were present. I stopped using that type years ago when I wanted to use the same gear oil in the transmission and steering gear box which have some yellow metal components.

I'm beginning to think I might split this thread and move this portion to the Lubricants discussion group.

Don Shields

Post by Don Shields » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:19 pm

I can recall seeing in a Seventh Series Owner's or Shop Manual that Whitmore's Compound was the recommended lubricant for the rear axle. It was not listed for the steering gear or the transmission, IIRC. Unfortunately I don't have either book in my possession at this time to corroborate my memory. I had never heard of Whitmore's Compound before or since until now. My Tenth Series Owner's Manual states that "Steering gears and rear axle gears require special lubricants. See Packard dealer for approved list." With the absence of a Packard dealer to consult, I've been using SAE 85W-140 in my 1002's steering gear, transmission and rear axle without incident so far. There is no trace of a decal on my differential case, but it may have been there and been removed when the chassis was cleaned and repainted by the prior owner in the 1980's. Now I'm wondering if Whitmore's Paragon or Claret gear oils should be used and if they're available in quantities small enough for us hobbyists to use.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:45 am

I wouldn't change from what you're now using, I've used Valvoline or equivalent SAE85-140 gear oil for decades in many cars in the rear axle, transmission and steering gear and don't think a change to an older technology is necessarily a good idea. It will be interesting to see what response I get from my query to Whitmore, if any.

Don Shields

Post by Don Shields » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for the advice, Dave, that's just what I'll do. Your inquiry could lead to the opening of a whole new market for Whitmore if they would choose to pursue it. It'll be interesting to see their response.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 am

Interior, original unmolested '37 Twelve Dietrich convertible victoria.
Attachments
37 Twelve victoria orig 1.jpg
37 Twelve victoria orig 2.jpg

DrMorbius

Post by DrMorbius » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm

I find these excellent photos and info fascinating. Please if you can keep it up, it's well worth it.