1953 Packard ambulance - looking for info

Discussions on Henney and other makers of specialty Packard vehicles.
hallenti

1953 Packard ambulance - looking for info

Post by hallenti » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:56 am

I am a docent at LeMay Family Collection Foundation (http://www.lemaymarymount.org) and we are updating some of the vehicle signs. One of them is listed as a 1953 Packard Ambulance. I don't have a picture in front of me, but I believe it is and 3-door "short" ambulance (I think this is termed a Henney). Anyway, I'd like to get some interesting points for the sign, and am wondering what is the best way to go about this? If I get the VIN number, and a reference picture, will these help me locate some interesting things about this year (or the general body style anyway) Packard ambulance? Is there a "best way" to narrow this down within the forum site? Thanks in advance!! Tim Hallen

Dave Czirr

Re: 1953 Packard ambulance - looking for info

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:07 am

Hi Tom. All Packard ambulances post-war (and may prewar) were built by Henney (see www.coachbuilt.com for some good info on Henney); in the 51-54 period there were two series, generally known as Henney Juniors and Henney Seniors. There was at least one of each at the Packard National meet last year in Gettysburg and I have some pictures of them, and of course there are many pictures of the Henney-Packards in the various club publications over the years. They've been well covered in writing over the years. So yes, by all means post a couple of photos for us.

As to numbers, these were the days before the federally-mandated multicharacter VIN, so the Packard just has a VN or vehicle number which should be located on a tag on the "A" pillar when you open the driver's door. It may also contain a paint and trim code though I wouldn't be surprised if these two spaces were left blank as Packard was essentially supplying a chassis and nose clip to Henney and not a completed vehicle. Two other numbers would be useful, the motor number (driver's side, rear of engine block just below the cylinder head on a slightly raised pad), and the "thief-proof" number, an embossed number enclosed by sideways trianges and located on the engine side of the cowl just above the heater box.

After we get some pictures and numbers, we can go from there.

Dave