1941 Packard Henney ?

Discussions on Henney and other makers of specialty Packard vehicles.
oldcarlvr

Re: 1941 Packard Henney ?

Post by oldcarlvr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 pm

That would be great,do you think this would be worth to restore,how many you think are out there,looking forward to see the scaned articles

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 am

I searched where I thought I had the 1941 brochure on the business cars but was unable to locate it, I may still find it and if I do, I'll post again. For what it's worth I did find the brochures for the 1937 and 1940 business cars (sedan and limo). For 1937 they were offered only on the Super Eight chassis with 139 inch wheelbase; for 1940 they were only offered again on the Super Eight chassis in two trim levels, "160" and "180", both on the 148 inch wheelbase. In both cases they were 8-passenger models with rear compartment jump seats.

Thus, if you car truly is a business sedan, they must have also offered it in 1941 on the "small" eight or 120 chassis. But it would have been on an extended wheelbase. Can you measure the wheelbase on your vehicle? Does you vehicle have jump seats in the rear compartment?

oldcarlvr

Post by oldcarlvr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:58 am

No jump seats

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:07 am

Interesting. The presence or absence of sidemounted spare tires means nothing, they were simply an option. But you mentioned in your first post about "Henney" trim. Is it possible is was simply added by some prior owner and what you have is a standard factory-production 120 sedan? No patent plate on the cowl by the driver's window with a vehicle number?

oldcarlvr

Post by oldcarlvr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:59 am

well we found chaulk markings on the inside doors,what exactly is the cowl and is this patent plate on the inside of the car drivers side or outside of car by firewall where we found the theft number which is the vin they say stamped in the metal. one guy says the henney plate is on pass side ?? I don't know yet.
Thjanks for the input

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

The "thief-proof" number, the large embossed number on the engine side of the firewall, is not the vehicle number. To properly identify your vehicle, the easiest way is by the vehicle number. It's stamped onto a metal plate known as the patent plate. That plate is fastened to the cowl, firewall if you wish, engine side, on the flat surface just ahead of the windshield on the driver's side. Enclosing an example of that plate so you can see what it should look like. Also enclosing a photo of a postwar Henney data plate from a funeral service vehicle, no reason to assume the same style would be used for something like an airport limo or commercial business car . The single 1941 business sedan I've seen, a 160, had a standard Packard patent plate and no Henney identification that I noticed.

Still waiting to hear from you about the wheelbase of the car in question.
Attachments
54 Henney.jpg
48 50 repro.JPG

oldcarlvr

Post by oldcarlvr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Dave, car is not close by to me it will take another visit,but we did look all over the engine compartment for that packard plate and someone said that in 41 you might not have the packard plate just the number surrounded by the < > symbols which was a V/ID also,but there was no plate on the engine side cowl/firewall.So unless we find something else prooving it is a henney I don't know,but it does have the additional trims of henney and the emblem,so the search continues.Thanks

oldcarlvr

Post by oldcarlvr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:27 am

127 inch

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:58 am

The 127'" wheelbase was the standard wheelbase for the "120" line for all of the factory body styles; this chassis is usually referred to as the 1901 model. The "120" was also available as a 1901A or commercial chassis but this had a wheelbase of 160 inches, so obviously not your vehicle. In looking thru a summary of the Henney production on Packard chassis for 1941 as published in the Kimes-edited "Packard - a History of the Motor Car and the Company", pretty much the major reference, I see no 1901 chassis listed as supplied to Henney.

So, sorry to say, I've found nothing to help identify your car. You might consider purchasing the Henney book (which I don't have), or contacting the Professional Car Society which focuses on such vehicles (www.professionalcarsociety.org), or perhaps contacting owners of other 1941 Henney vehicles in hopes of reaching someone who can assist. You can certainly find them identified in this club's membership directory.

If I find out anything which might be helpful, I'll be sure to post it here but for the moment, I've nothing more to add. But a closer examination of the car when convenient, photos, side-view, engine #, and a thorough search for identifying # plates and the like might be revealing.

oldcarlvr

Post by oldcarlvr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 am

yeah Dave, Since we have found no other tags except painted trim with the henney emblem and the theft number me and my cousin will dig under rear seat as one henney owner suggested and further under side doors,just to mention they said briggs body but this is a budd built body if matters. also look closer at the firewall/cowl again.good idea on the book and other suggestions if you find the brochure with any other data on the 1941 business sedan send me a email scan to my email rotorbum@comcast.net
Rich