1960 Henney Kilowatt Sale

Discussions on Henney and other makers of specialty Packard vehicles.
PACKARDAPL

1960 Henney Kilowatt Sale

Post by PACKARDAPL » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:08 am

While I don't usually promote someone else's car; I thought I had to at least mention that a very rare HENNEY Kilowatt 2dr
Electric car was on Ebay for sale. The photo of it looked like it was pretty straight and complete. The ad said it was needing paint
(now red)and batteries. It mentioned "rusty underneath" which I conclude meant some of the floor boards were thin or gone. It comes
with manuals & wiring diagrams. I think there was only a hundred or so of these things made--maybe less. Anyway, it expires Dec 1,
and it has an undisclosed reserve, but only has been bid--as of today--to $400 something dollars. It was in Iowa and came from
Minnesota. Read the ad and judge for yourself; you probably won't find a rarer Henney than this--it would be nice for a club member to
save this. It requires very little parking space!

Dave Czirr

Re: 1960 Henney Kilowatt Sale

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:16 am

Gee, that's interesting. I doubt that many readers here even know what a Henney Kilowatt is, so here's some info and image from Coachbuilder.com:

The Kilowatt was a joint project between National Union Electric Corp., the Eureka Williams Corp., the Exide Battery Corp. and a collection of public utilities headed by the Atlantic City Electric Co. and was initiated by National Union Electric's Feldmann and Atlantic City's president, B.L. England. National Union Electric Corp. manufactured batteries for the Exide Battery Corporation, and Exide's chief executive, Morrison McMullan Jr., participated in the vehicle's development as well. Curtis Instruments was hired to build the complicated speed controller which was designed by Victor Wouk, an electrical engineer at Cal-Tech.

The Kilowatt was produced using Renault Dauphine's supplied to Henney by the French automaker without a drivetrain. Two models were produced, 1959's 36-volt version used 18 two-volt batteries and had a top speed of 40 mph. Although the car could travel over 40 miles on a single charge, its somewhat pokey top speed was deemed unacceptable so an all-new 72-volt system was developed by Victor Wouk using a new controller and 12 6-volt batteries. It debuted on the 1960 Kilowatt which had a top speed of 60 mph with a range to match (60 miles per charge).

Renault sold 100 rolling chassis to Henney for the project, but less than half that number were built as Henney's parent company, National Union Electric Corp., was unable to produce the revised 72-volt systems cheaply enough to keep the car within it's $3600 target price. The unfinished Kilowatt chassis were reportedly sold to a Renault dealer in Florida who retrofitted them with standard Renault drivetrains, and then sold them as new, stock Dauphines.

An article in U.S. News & World Report states that 32 Henney Kilowatts were purchased by various US electric utilities. twenty-four (24) 1959 Kilowatts and eight (8) 1960 models. Of the often-reported figure of 47 completed Kilowatts, it's unclear when the remaining 15 cars were produced, or who purchased them. The article states that some may have been sold as 1961 or possibly 1962 models.

According to George L. Hamlin "a few unsold Henney Kilowatts remained in storage at the Eureka Williams facility in Bloomington, Illinois for several years, ultimately being sold to an entrepreneur who stripped off the Henney identification and sold them to Yuppies under the name 'Tiffany.'"

Of the documented 32-47 Henney Kilowatts produced, two remain in a drivable state and it's believed that four to eight others remain in various un-operable states. Even though the Henney Kilowatt never reached mass production volume, its transistor-based electric technology paved the way for modern EVs like GM's EV1.
Attachments
Henney Kilowatt.jpg

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Wow, I guess there has been a whole lot of interest in this thing. As of Nov 29th the bid was up to $2805 but hadn't found the undisclosed
reserve figure. Amazingly 18 BIDS!! Makes you think we ought to convert a couple of old Renaults to electric. This might turn out to be
a really high priced HENNEY~~

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Here's a photo of it.
Attachments
60 henney 4Sale.jpg

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:23 am

I see the Ebay bid period is over--did anyone catch the last bid & whether or not it sold? If it didn't, I bet it comes back with another reserve (lower). This
is really an unusual --and ground breaking-- car, fit for anyones collection.

Don R's Cars

Post by Don R's Cars » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 am

I thought I knew a lot about cars but this is one I've never heard of - very interesting!
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:02 am

Here is something I'm not sure was offered more than once. A Henney VAN. This ad for a VW-ish 1960s Van may have only
been a prototype or a very limited number conversion. This would have likely been the same team that did the kilowatts, but I don't
think it was electric. Henney would have fabricated the body for this--with a commercial drive train. They were into bus building
--the metal bodies--in their later days in Canastota. I really doubt any of these are still around, although I did see someone with a
complete new electrical "works" system for the Kilowatt car in a box for sale a few months ago. I can see this VAN going down the
road with a PEACE sign on it now!!
Attachments
henneyvan.JPG

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:08 am

FYI....For those of you who would like to go electric--another 1960 Kilowatt has surfaced in Prospect, Connecticut on EBAY. This Henney electric car
appears complete and reasonably decent, although a bit on the scruffy side. It would have to have a full restoration to be sharp, but it
might clean up better than the photos--hard to tell. Note; I did not see that a charging unit was mentioned, {perhaps this is internal to this
car.} The interior wasn't bad looking and the car was red with a red & white cloth inside. The bid price was $22.5K --0 bids so far. I suggest
that anyone with a serious interest in it could negotiate something better for price. Just a few dozen of these things were made by Henney
for the various electric Co-ops back then. It's so small that just about anyone could have room for this historic unit. RARE!!

henney42

Post by henney42 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:59 pm

That ad posted above is not and was not a Henney van. Tempo was a German light truck manufacturer that built pickups, vans, and light delivery vehicles using Volkswagen power plants back when the Beetle was VW's only offering. It is my understanding that Tempo was only in production from 1949-1951. Tempo ended up going out of business when VW introduced their own vans and pickups and stopped supplying engines to what would then be a competing manufacturer. This is only conjecture on my part, but I'm going to assume that Russell Feldmann, Henney's owner after 1946, was looking into the possibility of importing Tempo trucks and becoming a USA dealer/distributor of them.

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 pm

I note that this Henney has been re-listed (at the same price) . Elsewhere I saw what appears to be an electric transaxle setup for the Kilowatt
for sale. The photo is a bit fuzzy, but shows the heart of the Henney; likely taken from some poor condition unit.
Attachments
59kilo elec mtr trns  2.jpg
Kilowatt Electric motor
59kilo elec mtr trns 2.jpg (13.17 KiB) Viewed 5181 times