Rare Civil Defence Henney Found

Discussions on Henney and other makers of specialty Packard vehicles.
PACKARDAPL

Re: Rare Civil Defence Henney Found

Post by PACKARDAPL » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 am

Earlier we had speculated on the cost of purchasing a Henney. Courtesy of the Motor City region, here is a price list of examples of ordinary
models that offer us a look at the costs involved from a sample 1939 price list. Considering that in many areas of the country $5000 in 1939
would buy a new brick home, the same in a "stick built" might cost as little as $3000. Henney's were pricey cars. Special models and the custom
ones would have been 50 or 100% more than the regular models.
Attachments
henney39prices2.jpg
1939 Henney price list

henney42

Post by henney42 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Courtesy of the archives of the Long Beach Fire Museum, here are three photos they shared with me of my Henney Civilian Defense ambulance when it was in service. I think the first photo is a great group shot, I think the second photo makes it even more surprising that my ambulance is the one to have survived, and in the third photo notice the Packard dealership in the background. Always a thrill to received vintage photos like this, especially when what is now your car is in them!
Attachments
CivilDefenseAmbulanceLongBeach1a.jpg
CivilDefenseAmbulanceLongBeach2aaa.tif
(506.46 KiB) Downloaded 2811 times
CivilDefenseAmbulanceLongBeach3aaa.tif
(525.92 KiB) Downloaded 2807 times

jamesmsss

Post by jamesmsss » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Patrick, what was the location of the Henney plate?

henney42

Post by henney42 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 pm

I believe it was on the floor under the front seat. The restoration shop that the car is at found it during the car's disassembly.

timelessmotorcoaches

Post by timelessmotorcoaches » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi guys, I just recently purchase 1941 or 42 Packard Henney CD (I90IA-2533). I need help in finding its history. I would like to post a photo but every thing I got is to big. Thanks!

henney42

Post by henney42 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Based on the VIN number you gave, I don't think it is a Civilian Defense unit, but I would love to be proven wrong! If you'd like to email me your photos, I'd love to see them and I could resize them for posting. My email is superior1980@yahoo.com

henney42

Post by henney42 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Timelessmotorcoaches emailed me photos of his Packard and I have resized them for posting here. For the purposes of the discussion in this thread, the term "Civilian Defense" refers to a specific model name Henney used for one of their ambulance offerings, and not to any ambulance that was in government service. In addition to your photos, I'm also attaching a scan of a Henney brochure for their CD model ambulance. Your ambulance is a 1941 model and is not a Civilian Defense unit. All Henney Civilian Defense ambulances are 1942 models (the Packard grille is different between the two years making it easy to tell the years apart), and additionally the Civilian Defense body is highly unique for ambulance construction at the time, making it resemble no other ambulance on the road at the time. Your car is a "normal" (for lack of a better term) Henney ambulance, which shared the same basic body with Henney's hearses. It is believed that only 10 of the Henney Civilian Defense model ambulances were ever built, and I own the only one that is currently known to exist. Another one was briefly found back in the early 1990s (if I remember right), but it disappeared again as quickly as it appeared.

Your ambulance appears to have been manufactured for the civilian market. The government at the time had their own ambulance design regulations which affected their outward appearance, making it easy to tell the difference between a civilian ambulance and a government ambulance at a glance. I am going to assume that your ambulance was either purchased second-hand from the civilian market by the Veterans Administration, or it was a leftover unsold civilian unit that the government purchased from Henney stock at the start of the war.

The fact that your unit is not one of the rare Civilian Defense models does not make it any less interesting! Any prewar ambulance that still survives is a rare bird. Their survival rates are far less than hearses from the same years simply because ambulances were used hard, used up, and scrapped when their service lives were finished. For more detailed information, I would highly recommend visiting the forum of the Professional Car Society at www.professionalcarsociety.org. The Professional Car Society is specifically dedicated to the stock restoration and preservation of vintage ambulances, funeral coaches, and limousines, and the combined knowledge that their membership base shares on these otherwise obscure vehicles is amazing.
Attachments
CD-1.jpg
CD-2.jpg
CD-3.jpg
CivilDefenseAmbulance6smaller.jpg