HELP 1950 PACKARD HEARSE!!

Discussions on Henney and other makers of specialty Packard vehicles.
warrenwebb

HELP 1950 PACKARD HEARSE!!

Post by warrenwebb » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 am

HELLO!

My name is Warren and I am thinking about purchasing a 1950 hearse to export from south america to the us... It is 100% original and has been in a garage for the past 40 years.... BUT...... Im not sure how much it would be worth (how long is a piece of string...rite!)

I thought that if anybody could help, you guys could I would appreciate any help as the guy selling it wants to take off the rear and turn it into an open top limo....

Probably best to keep it original rite?

ANY HELP, would be great!

Cheers guys,

JWLawrence

Re: HELP 1950 PACKARD HEARSE!!

Post by JWLawrence » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:28 am

Better posted in the ambulance and hearse section per Dave's recent housekeeping message.

(o{}o)

PACKARDAPL

Post by PACKARDAPL » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 am

That's certainly an unusual Packard Hearse. First of all, this is more likely a 1951 model rather than a '50 based on the front sheet metal.
I have seen a couple of similar units from Argentina & elsewhere 'way South of the border. It doesn't have the "look" of a Henney, so I
would suggest that this is a Packard commercial chassis which has had "in-country" coach work added. This would likely be a one-off custom
of this design, which makes it a more desirable vehicle. I would think that this original coach-work would have greater value than a
contemporary rebody. This was probably done in-country as a cost saving measure, both in import duties and in labor costs in construction.

Valuing such a custom car from photos would be very difficult. The current condition of the mechanicals and body after 40 years storage is
one big factor, but just evaluating the coachwork probably would need a professional appraiser to provide a meaningful valuation. Without
a on-site inspection only a "ball-park" estimation might be possible. It could be worth just a couple thousand $(US) or might be worth a
substantial amount as is. You also have to determine what need to be done to bring the car to a restored condition--this might be a lot.
Transportation from South America would have to be determined as well--& there might be US duties applicable on this car. Perhaps
someone that has a lot of experience in custom body work/foreign imports in the Packard Club or from PCS would be able to advise you best
on this custom Packard.

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:49 pm

This hearse was on PackardInfo in this thread - http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... 04&forum=8 and also in this thread here on the PAC Website - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2634&hilit=argentina
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

henney42

Post by henney42 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 pm

I agree that the person calling this a 1950 model has their years wrong. A couple comments of my own, first is that this is not likely a true one-off, as this style of hearse is actually the normal and common style for that part of the world. It only looks weird and odd to us in the USA. I have seen this style hearse on Kaisers, Cadillacs, and even on Checkers. The fact that I have seen this style hearse on other brands of chassis implies that it is not a Packard commercial chassis, but rather an ordinary Packard car that received the hearse conversion. Secondly, regarding whether or not purchasing and importing this car is worth it, well speaking strictly financially, no, its not. But speaking strictly financially, getting involved in any old car seldom makes sense! The question should be is it worth it to you. A couple years back I imported a German hearse into the USA simply because I wanted to have one. Financially it made no sense at all. But I wanted it, so it was worth it to me. Being an antique car, fortunately there aren't too many hoops you will have to jump through to get it imported. In a rare case of the government using some common sense, they realize that a vehicle over 25 years old is most likely being imported for collector purposes and not for use as a regular car. Therefore it is exempt from having to meet US safety and emissions regulations. But I will advise you to hire a professional importer to fill out the paperwork that importing it will entail. The paperwork that I had to go through to import my German hearse completely baffled me, and was written in a very advanced form of legalese, making it undecipherable to the common man.

warrenwebb

Post by warrenwebb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Cheers guys for all of your help and advice, I have seen the old posts of this exact model and it has given me qite a bit more information on it! I am currently exporting classic vehicles... VW based and just wanted to see if this one would "tickle" anybodys fancy!

I am aware of another packard and many other interesting classic cars.... If anyone has a preference, just ask and I might be able to find you something! Seeing as I am living in Paraguay, it's not hard to find things! Either here, Argentina or Uruguay!

auctioneer39

Post by auctioneer39 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Can you still get this hearse and what would you ask? I am From Central Illinois

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

So, basically, warrenweb is a commercial enterprise who fooled us into helping him see if there was a market in the US for this old car. Now, based on that, this sounds like a con job to me. Maybe he is as honest as the day is long but he certainly did not start out that way pretending to be a buyer living in the US wanting to import the car into this country and later telling us he actually lives in South America. I would not send him any money unless I flew down there and took delivery of the car myself. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!