22nd Series Custom 8 Packard Henney Hearse

Discussions on Henney and other makers of specialty Packard vehicles.
youngcarnut

22nd Series Custom 8 Packard Henney Hearse

Post by youngcarnut » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:45 am

I am currently restoring a 22nd Series Custom 8 Packard Henney Hearse. I need help with how to detail the engine compartment. I believe that the engine should be painted light (dove) gray. Does anyone have pictures of a restored car that I can use as a reference? Other than the gray for the engine, I'm assuming that most everything should be painted flat black. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Czirr

Re: 22nd Series Custom 8 Packard Henney Hearse

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:04 am

Engine compartment items that were black were semi-gloss black, not flat black, fan and hub, generator, starter and distributor, oil filter, heater box and fan. Manifolds were naked cast iron. You can buy an engine compartment judging guide which details this more thoroughly. Though nominally all the 48-54 engines except the 1954 "359" were gray, there is some evidence to say that some (perhaps early) 22nd series 356 engines were still green as was my 48 Custom 8 sedan sold in December, 1947. Look for evidence of original engine paint, or if you're concerned about judging, safest bet is gray as it's what most judging standards call for. But get the correct gray, you can get Packard gray engine enamel from almost any of the national Packard vendors, for example Kanter Bros. who financially support this forum.

How about a couple of pictures? The Custom 8 was one terrific chassis and Henney coachwork was top-notch.

youngcarnut

Post by youngcarnut » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 am

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your help. I have a few really bad pictures now, but, can get some good ones later next week. The tires came in, from the Fresno Coker warehouse, and they look GREAT. I got Firestone, 700 x 16 Blackwalls. Carb, Fuel Pump, etc should be here on Wednesday, which means it should be running by Friday. We've been soaking the cylinders with oil so that when we start it, it won't score the cylinder walls. The mechanic is still having to soak one of the brake drums, as it's still being stubborn, and won't come off. I've had the backing plates removed, beaded and painted. The wheels and drums are getting the same treatment. So, after we get it running, I'll start detailing the engine compartment. If you'd like, I can send the "before" and then the "after" pictures.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:08 am

Hey, we all love "before" and "after" pictures, so please do. Also, if when you cleaned and repainted the backing plates you removed the top eccentric anchor pin, don't neglect to go thru the full major brake adjustment or you're likely to be very disappointed with them.

youngcarnut

Post by youngcarnut » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:32 am

I tried to post some "before" pictures, but there's a limit on the file size? 256?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:05 am

I forget the size but there is a limit on it. Also a limit of 5 photos per post.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 am

Hi Youngcarnut

I read that you are having trouble removing a brake drum. I take it that it is one of the rear drums, that are fitted on a taper. The process for removal has been covered ad infinitum on this forum already, but just to add, I have known these to be so stuck in the past, that I have needed to heat the outside of the taper with an oxy-acetelene torch until dull red, whilst my 5 legged hydraulic puller was putting serious pressure on the system. If you end up in this situation, it is advisable to keep the nut on the end of the halfshaft, loosely, because when it finally "cracks" the drum and puller are likely to fly across the workshop !!

Needless to say, once removed both parts of the taper and keyway should be cleaned up with emery and reassembled dry.

Have fun.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.