Gene Ledbetter

Notices, memories & condolences
mrpushbutton

Gene Ledbetter

Post by mrpushbutton » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:23 am

Fellow Packard friends, it is my sad duty to report of the passing of one of my oldest friends in the Packard world, Gene Ledbetter. Gene was one of the first people in Motor City Packards to welcome me, when I was this know-nothing 21 year old kid to the group, and he made me, and any other new comer feel welcome. Gene was one of the happiest people I have ever known, he truly enjoyed life, the challenges of owning a business, and he loved cars. His 1938 Packard Super Eight convertible sedan "Big Red" was a fixture at many local shows and events. Gene was in the glass business for many years, he took over his (ex) father in-law's business "Merle Meyers Glass" in Dearborn MI. They were involved in all kinds of glass work--commercial glazing, home replacement, shower doors, automotive glass, and interior trimming. Gene began an automotive restoration shop about 20 years ago, which has grown into a busy place filled with many makes and models. Gene was one of the finest supporters the Packard Club ever had, and hosted many technical sessions at his shop. My since condolences go to his wife Judy, and the staff at Complete Restorations in Livonia MI.
We all have the capability to be ambassadors to the outside world in this hobby, to represent the face of the hobby. Gene represented it in the very best way possible, though that intangible known as "personality".

God speed my friend, and I hope you are reunited with Joe Kelley now.

John Lauter

RogerDetroit

Re: Gene Ledbetter

Post by RogerDetroit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:57 am

John, that was nice of you to post those heartfelt comments.

Below is a notice of visitation from the McCabe Funeral Home:

Gene Ledbetter
October 6, 1942 - December 22, 2015

Gene E. Ledbetter, age 73, passed away Tuesday, December 22, 2015. Beloved husband of Judith, loving father of Aaron S. Tihelka, and Shelley McFadden, grandfather of Lenney Jr. and Jacob and great grandfather Aliyah.

Visitation will Monday, December 28 at McCabe Funeral Home, 31950 W. Twelve Mile Rd., Farmington Hills, from 2-8 pm. In lieu of flowers the family has asked memorial donations be made to: The Packard Motor Car Foundation, P.O. Box 182063, Shelby Township, MI 48318
1941 Packard 160 Convertible Sedan
1941 Packard 120 Business Coupe
1968 AMX - Dick Teague designed

Dave Czirr

Re: Gene Ledbetter

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks John and Roger for posting. I only met Gene briefly a few times but remember him as warm and genuine, knowledgeable and willing to share his know-how and experiences.