Terry Martin

Notices, memories & condolences
Stuart R. Blond

Terry Martin

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:13 am

Terry Martin, founder of the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio, passed away on Sunday, February 10, 2019 at the age of 82.

Terry wrote the first four chapters of Automobile Quarterly's book "Packard - A History of the Motor Car and the Company," covering the Packard family and the cars during the Warren, Ohio years. In the early 1980s he restored the original 1903 "Old Pacific" for the Henry Ford Museum. In 1983, drove his own 1903 (named "Old Pacific II") from San Fransisco to New York, retracing Tom Fetch's route of 80 years earlier. In 2003, he once again drove (and trailered) "Old Pacific II" coast to coast.

Without Terry, we would not know as much as we do now about Packard's early history. His obituary can be found at:

https://www.lanefuneralhomes.com/obitua ... io/1834731

GJBINSC

Re: Terry Martin

Post by GJBINSC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:30 pm

I knew Terry for many years, way before he was a Packard guy. He sold Quaker Maid kitchen cabinets in Warren Ohio, and loved old stuff, even old houses which he also restored. He was a skilled craftsman and cabinet maker. He restored a Pierce Arrow that had been turned into a motorized hay wagon, and it was a work of art when finished. He struggled for many years to get the Packard Museum going moving from free building to free building in the process until the City gave him the old city pool site where the museum is today. He had a vision, and kept going till it was realized. Hopefully the current museum staff shares his dream, and it keeps going for many years to come.

Dave Czirr

Re: Terry Martin

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:05 pm

I believe I first met Terry when he came East at the invitation of the Eastern Packard Club to give a presentation at the Duck Cedar Inn in Tuxedo NY of his historic reenactment of Old Pacific's transcontinental trip, I guess that was 1984 or 1985. And we met a few times after that, at the Centennial in 1999 and a few times after that at the museum. The hobby has lost great historian, author and driving force.