Passing of Predictor modeler and former PMCC employee, Tom Beaubien

Notices, memories & condolences
Leeedy

Passing of Predictor modeler and former PMCC employee, Tom Beaubien

Post by Leeedy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:50 am

Hello All,

It is with deep sadness that I have to report to you my friend and former Packard Motor Car Company man, Tom Beaubien has passed. Tom left us on August 15, 2019 in Southern California.

Tom was a good friend for many years. Ironically we once worked together for Mazda Corporation where Tom was Manager of Design for Mazda (North America) R&D division. Tom and I sometimes ate lunch together over the many years we worked for Mazda. During those lunches we spent many hours talking about the world behind the scenes at Packard in the 1950s.

For those Packard fans who might not know, Tom worked in Detroit for Packard Styling during the mid-1950s. There he was one of two precision modelers who actually built the original large scale model of Predictor. It was this model that was sent to Ghia in Italy in order to make the actual full-sized Packard Predictor concept car.

Tom was also on hand at East Grand Boulevard when the Predictor first arrived back in Detroit from Europe. Tom filmed the uncrating of Predictor at Packard headquarters and allowed me to resurrect the film. I interviewed Tom for my history of the Packard Predictor that appeared in The Packard Cormorant magazine several years ago. You can read his words in that article.

Although he was quite modest about it, Tom's family was was of key importance in the formative years of the city of Detroit. One of the main thoroughfares in Detroit indeed carries his family name to this day. Tom had a deep appreciation and understanding of beauty in design, whether it be art, architecture, aircraft or automotive.

Tom was born on January 7, 1930 in Detroit, Michigan. He is survived by his wife, Marjorie and three daughters. Tom didn't want a funeral and requested simply to be cremated. His ashes will be spread later this year at sea.

He was a fine gentleman and I shall miss him a lot. I was lucky to even know him.