Window Regulator Removal

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Kenbwisc

Window Regulator Removal

Post by Kenbwisc » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:16 am

I have the regulator mechanism loose in the rear door of my ‘56 but can’t seem to get the regulator out of the track. I need to replace the motor. Directions say to remove a nut or bolt with a steel and felt washer. I removed a bolt in the mechanism but don’t find the washers nor does the arm drop out. Looks as though the arm should slide out the back of the track. Is the correct and if so how?

Howard56

Re: Window Regulator Removal

Post by Howard56 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:43 am

Referencing this drawing from the parts manual, at A you will need to reach up behind the glass and on the away side nearest the outside panel (if still stock) there should be a wire hairpin clip in a groove on the stud attached to the glass end of the regulator arm. That stud goes thru the slot on the glass mounting base. The clip holds on a steel and either a felt or leather washer and keeps the stud in the track. There is a spring type mechanism behind the curved washer on the opposite side next to the regulator arm so it may take a bit of squeezing to relieve pressure on the clip to allow it to slide out of the groove. Once that clip is out and the regulator arm is loose from the glass then the opposite end of the arm at B just slides in a short length of track welded to the inner panel. It also has a kind of spring loaded washer arrangement that fits in the track. Slide the arm in whichever direction needed to get to the end of the track and out. Once that is free the regulator will lift out. The same arrangement is used on all windows from the factory but the reason I said "if still stock" is sometimes clips get lost and others have resorted to varied arrangements to retain the washers such as different type clips or even drilling holes for cotter pins.

When reassembling be sure to grease the washers and track portions and you may need to use pliers to squeeze the spring and washers enough to get the clip back into the groove.
Attachments
clip.jpg
clip.jpg (1.78 KiB) Viewed 232 times
window.jpg

Kenbwisc

Re: Window Regulator Removal

Post by Kenbwisc » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Thanks much! I got it out now, to get back correctly!