2 barrel carter carburetor

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Carrozzeria

2 barrel carter carburetor

Post by Carrozzeria » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Recently reinstalled rebuilt carburetor on 1953 clipper, my question is there was a spring hooked onto the throttle rod at carburetor then hooked onto the the metal vacuum line. This can't be the setup from the factory, whats the spring for?

Dave Czirr

Re: 2 barrel carter carburetor

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:48 am

A picture would be helpful, but I'd guess that some prior owner was too lazy to diagnose why the throttle linkage was reluctant to freely return when released and rather than take the effort to track down the cause of the unwanted friction, he simply added a spring. Commonly seen.

Carrozzeria

Post by Carrozzeria » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:02 am

Dave; thanks for your help on my question, are there any common areas of the throttle linkage that usually bind up I should look out for?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:00 am

Not that I'm aware of, but in addition to the physical linkage under the hood, don't ignore the accelerator pedal itself and interference from the carpeting or floor mats.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:57 am

One linkage area on 51-4 models that can cause binding issues is the bracket attached at mid level on the firewall above the accelerator. The bracket supports the long rod crossing to the carb side. It is mostly a vertical and flexible piece of spring steel which is designed to flex side to side to absorb engine torque when the engine rocks slightly. The spring steel is attached to the fixed part of the bracket by rivets thru a rubber cushion. If the rubber has deteriorated allowing the spring steel to flop around and move near and away from the dash instead of only side to side it can twist the long rod in the opposite bracket. A quick fix is to place some kind of heavy rubber cushion in the space between the spring steel and dash to keep it positioned out but the permanent fix is to remove the rivets and replace the rubber piece.

As you can see in the drawing, there is usually only one spring but as Dave mentioned many have added extras. If you cannot resolve the issue you could try a heavier spring and in some but not all cars there can be another spring added down at the accelerator pedal. Spring anchors to a small tab welded to the floor panel but that tab is not present on all models.
Attachments
bracket.jpg

Carrozzeria

Post by Carrozzeria » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:54 am

Thanks for that diagnose and image of throttle assembly, I will look to see what the problem is.

Carrozzeria

Re: 2barrel carter carburetor starter switch

Post by Carrozzeria » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:11 am

Dave, after reading some of your posts regarding 2barrel starter switch problems. I think I have narrowed down the problem with mine. Since the carburetor was rebuilt, I'm thinking adjustments of starter switch to original specs and throttle screws was not done. Resulting in the engine not starting. To eliminate other reasons for not starting. The following has been done to the engine, new sparkplugs, distributor, points, condenser, wires, coil and new battery. Any thoughts on this problem would greatly appreciated, Thanks
53 Packard Clipper 288

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:48 am

First thing I'd suggest is to test and see if the switch functions. Remove the wires currently attached to it and put an ohm meter across the two terminals. Disconnect the throttle linkage at the carburetor and fully open the throttle valve - the ohm meter should now show conductivity and if it doesn't, the switch is not functioning, perhaps assembled incorrectly or missing parts. If the switch functions, reconnect the throttle linkage and press the gas pedal to the floor while watching the ohm meter. If the switch previously functioned but now does not, your problem lies with the linkage adjustment.

Carrozzeria

Post by Carrozzeria » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:12 pm

Dave, checked both starter switch and linkage. Their both functioning. Tried using starter fluid in carburetor with no results.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Is the starter motor cranking the engine? If so, failure to start has nothing to do with the carburetor starter switch. In that case you should be asking yourself if there is gasoline in the carburetor and spark at the plugs.