heater

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
drjrharris

heater

Post by drjrharris » Fri May 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Is there any way to turn off a heater during the summer, ie close some valves or something?

CanadianDelux

Re: heater

Post by CanadianDelux » Fri May 10, 2013 4:30 pm

If your heater valve, the one that controls cabin temperature is broken, like mine, until I get it fixed, I took the hose that ran from the water pump to the heater core, off at the heater, and connected it to the other port on the engine. And then I looped the other hose on the heater core so that there were no open ports. You will loose a little coolant when you disconnect the hoses. If you would like pictures of what I did on my 49, send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll take a couple and send them to you
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else!

drjrharris

Post by drjrharris » Sat May 11, 2013 2:56 am

Pictures would be very helpful. where is the heater core valve?
drjrharris@hotmai.com

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Sat May 11, 2013 4:22 am

I believe that the valve Canadiandelux is referring to is the Ranco thermal valve which would be applicable to post-war cars. drjrharris has a pre-war car (1941 110 I think). For the pre-war cars there was often a turn-off valve installed at the end of the rubber hose as it enters the engine head. The heaters in the pre-war cars were installed as a self-contained box with heater core and fan attached to the firewall unlike the much more integrated fresh air/heat systems post war.

Here's an example of a heater valve on a pre-war car.
Heater Valve.JPG
Photo Source: PackardInfo.com
Last edited by JD in KC on Sat May 11, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianDelux

Post by CanadianDelux » Fri May 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Yes, I am refering to the Ranco valve. I didn't know drjrharris had a pre-war. My appologize drjrharris, I should have asked.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else!