So how fast have you been in a Packard?

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
tommlinar

Re: So how fast have you been in a Packard?

Post by tommlinar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:52 am

1956, my brother bought a Clipper. We were on our way up north for deer hunting trip, I and two other brothers, one that owned the car, I was in the back seat, my other brother, (not the owner) was driving. I don't remember what the MPH number was on the speedometer. But the brother driving, we had about a 5 mile stretch of solid straight highway, that we had travled fo many years. No traffic to speak of, the driver floored the Packard. Not sure how fast we were going, but he had the needle buried, when we went past a state trooper, that had those rubber hoses stretched across the road to check speed, in those days speed limit was 65 during the day, 55 at night in this area, well, driver kept her floored for the next mile or so which went by pretty fast, and finally slowed down when the trooper who had a Pontiac as the trooper car, we stopped. The trooper asked where he was going, and how fast did he think we were going, brother told him, oh, 85 maybe 90, the trooper said, well, the tapes are set for 65mph, you passed over them indicating over 105 mph or faster. In the end, as luck would have it, the trooper turned out to be a friend of the farm we were staying at, and let us off with a written warning, and marked down the stop as a burned out taillight. That Clipper was slower than a snail for pick up, but after about 45 or more, it was a bear.

John 3:16

Post by John 3:16 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 pm

I have driven my 1937 Super 8 Club Sedan on the expressway at 60-65 mph. It could have gone faster. :D

Standard8

Post by Standard8 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:20 pm

A 1948 Standard 8 with a 288 cubic inch engine and overdrive can proceed at 80 mph in an orderly fashion.

JoeSantana

Post by JoeSantana » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:54 pm

90 mph in a '40 160 conv sedan, 1960, Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz Freeway the day before the new section opened.

41Packard

Post by 41Packard » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 pm

The Packard's speedometer is known to be inaccurate -- + or - 10 maybe 15 mph. I have a '54 Patrician, 212 HP, that I did 4 laps on the Bristol Speedway Track about ten years back and was clocked at 75 mph before they Black-Flagged me. One other time, without my wife, I had it indicating over 100 mph on the Interstate for maybe less than two minutes. I had to have been crazy to push a 65 year old car to that speed, and still climbing, when I let off the gas. My normal driving speed on the Interstate is to follow truckers at their speed, indicating 75-80 MPH on my speedometer. At that speed she uses some oil and I'm lucky if I'm getting 13-15 MPG for mileage.
I also have a '41 110 Deluxe that is my other driver. It has it's original 100 HP straight six with an overdrive that I added. This past fall my friend in a 2003 Porsche fallowed me on a 200 mile trip. I asked him if he'd noticed how fast I was going. He said he was running between 60 and 65 MPH following me for most of the way. The '41 was running in it's sweet spot all the way, quiet as could be, and my round trip gas mileage for the trip was 26 MPG. If necessary, I'd be comfortable to run it up to 70 MPH for a short time.
'41 Packard sends...