Thinking of buying a Packard

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
maxcitro

Thinking of buying a Packard

Post by maxcitro » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I decided to register because I am considering to buy and restore a (what i think it is..) Packard Super Clipper.
The current owner is not so sure about the year of built of this car, I was hoping people here could help me identifying this car.
The cars location is in the Netherlands. I thought I might as well share my photos of this car with you all and hear your opinions.
As the pictures show the car is in dear need of 'some' work. ;-) I am experienced with car restauration work although not with cars this old.
I would be happy to hear the points worth looking into when deciding to restore a car like this, in its current state.

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. The car is supposed to be complete with its wings bumpers, trim etc

https://plus.google.com/photos/11311706 ... banner=pwa

Dave Czirr

Re: Thinking of buying a Packard

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:45 pm

It appears to be a 41 to 47 Clipper though I can't tell you if it's a Clipper, Super Clipper or Custom Super Clipper, you'd need more information like the vehicle number or at the very least, the motor number. But really - just IMO, that car is way beyond practical restoration, I'm not even sure I'd consider it a parts car, it's mostly just a pile of useless parts. Were it in the US, I doubt it would bring $200 and the cost of even a very casual restoration, even if you provided most of the labor, would be many times what the car would be worth when finished.

Finding a better candidate for restoration at very modest cost would be easy in the US, I understand it would be harder to find overseas. Are you mostly interested in this car because it's conveniently near you?

5682-4775

Post by 5682-4775 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Martin

Welcome to the world of Packards, glad you're considering a purchase. But, a little advice first: the Clipper you've pictured is beyond a reasonable, economic restoration. There are still many solid, reasonably-priced project 1941-1947 Clippers of those model years here in the U.S. While shipping costs are a factor to consider, you would quickly exceed those if you were to take on this particular car as a project.

Your better course of action is to join our Packard Club and your local region, there is one covering your country. You'll meet a great group of knowledgeable, friendly people, will make contacts and get good advice and leads on Packards which will be a worthwhile, satisfying project. Put you behind the wheel of a Packard before you know it! Good Luck!

Steve

maxcitro

Post by maxcitro » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Steve, Dave, thanks for your quick replies. This seems to be a very active forum with answers coming in at this speed!
Yes the car is in a sore state, it sure is rusty, but i'm not sure how rotten it is. Seems like a lot of the rust is sort of superficial.
I need another good look at it for that I feel.
I've always been interested in classic car and I've restored a few. Thats also how I stumbled over this particular car.
I googled it up, how it would look like when all done, and I was impressed by its beauty.
Here in Holland you simply don't see these cars at all. I have always had a keen look for classic cars, but this is the first Packard Clipper
Ive ever seen here in these parts.
But judging your reactions maybe this not the car to invest a lot of time in, because a LOT of time it would be.
What would a car like this be wort after a full restoration ? When its value now would be $200 I doubt if it would be very valuable when all restored.

Martin

maxcitro

Post by maxcitro » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:22 pm

By the way the guy has 2 other Packards for sale, one of them can be seen in the photos. its an even older one. I think they are the luxe eight.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 am

Hello Martin

Welcome to the forum from the UK too!!

Thanks for sharing the pics of the Clipper. It is clearly in very poor condition, but it depends on two things; How complete the car is (what parts are missing) and what you want from the project.

If you are looking for a car to drive some time soon, it might be worth looking for a better example. These cars are rare in Europe, of course, but you could probably find a useable example for EU 8,000-10,000.
If on the other hand you are looking for a project to work on, then this would certainly be a challenging project!!

It may be worth looking for another Clipper and still acquiring this one to help with any rebuild.

It is worth saying that all parts are available for these cars, and there is a wealth of advice availabe on this forum, so keep coming back if you are intertested in Packards.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

maxcitro

Post by maxcitro » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks Adam, good to hear theres europeans in the Packard scene too !
Yes im still doubting if I should take this one on.
After all a person can only restore a certain amout of cars in a lifetime, and its wise to choose ones demons carefully. :-)

So parts are available. Thats good to hear though. They would all be in the US i think right ?

Btw the boot floor looks like its been worked on before. Seems like theres welding there, or is this original welding from the manufacturer ?

5682-4775

Post by 5682-4775 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:00 am

Hi Martin

Here's another Packard resource we all enjoy here, not only for cars for sale but in general for good advice and moral support.....when the project gets frustrating: PackardInfo is first-class too, moderated and civil.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... /index.php

Specifically, many of us post up Craiglist advertisements for Packards around the country:
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... 34&forum=8
Always check the date of the posting, many old links stick around forever, newest additions are on the highest page number.

As you folks say: Cheers and good luck finding a good Packard.

Steve