Flamingo & White '56 Executive sedan history

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
5682-4775

Flamingo & White '56 Executive sedan history

Post by 5682-4775 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:01 am

Hi

Reading the SDC Forum, a gentleman accounted his family's history with a '56 Executive sedan finished in the rare Spring Special colors Flamingo and white with a photograph:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/ ... ckard-too)

Steve

Shelby Griggs

Re: Flamingo & White '56 Executive sedan history

Post by Shelby Griggs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 am

Just joined this site, thought I would post the photo previously mentioned, I am currently cleaning out my Mom's place and am hoping someplace I will find the numbers for this car. Had no idea how rare a "pink" Excutive was at the time. I believe this was in the family from 72-73 until 88-92 time frame and was still very solid at time of sale HOWEVER the engine was frozen from sitting a long period of time, bodywise and interior it was still almost like new, sure wished we hadn't parted ways.

Shelby
Attachments
1956 Packard.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Shelby, and welcome!

All Executives are rare, as I recall only 1031 were built in the two body styles, sedan and 2-dr hardtop coupe.

If you have a photograph of the engine side of the cowl that shows the "theft-proof" number (just above the heater box), then there would be a fair chance of recovering the vehicle number. As to the "pink", I've heard of Flamingo Pink in 1956 but can find no substantiation that it was a legitimate factory color offering, so I suspect the car was repainted. I suppose it's remotely possible the car carried special paint, or was shipped in prime for painting after shipment, this would be noted on the vehicle number plate on the front left door jamb. Perhaps pink was offered later in the year as a factory color but never recorded in the parts book as an available color? But without a view of the vehicle number plate it's just speculation.

I believe the factory build slips are still available for these, either at the Studebaker Museum or in the hands of a private collector whose identity I'll send to you confidentially via a PM. But since pink apparently wasn't an available color, what identifying feature would one search thru the build slips for? For example, might you recall who the original selling dealership was?

EDIT: I've been advised of Packard Trade Letter #56-1004 Supplement 2 of April 2, 56, saying that the color Flamingo would be available in approx 2 weeks. Went on to say Code "O" (soft pink) was available for all models except Caribbean. Thanks for Howard Hansen for this info. So then the production orders (build slips) could be manually searched for a 5672A with paint code O - how many could there be?

Shelby Griggs

Post by Shelby Griggs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Dave Czirr wrote:Hi Shelby, and welcome!

All Executives are rare, as I recall only 1031 were built in the two body styles, sedan and 2-dr hardtop coupe.

If you have a photograph of the engine side of the cowl that shows the "theft-proof" number (just above the heater box), then there would be a fair chance of recovering the vehicle number. As to the "pink", I've heard of Flamingo Pink in 1956 but can find no substantiation that it was a legitimate factory color offering, so I suspect the car was repainted. I suppose it's remotely possible the car carried special paint, or was shipped in prime for painting after shipment, this would be noted on the vehicle number plate on the front left door jamb. Perhaps pink was offered later in the year as a factory color but never recorded in the parts book as an available color? But without a view of the vehicle number plate it's just speculation.

I believe the factory build slips are still available for these, either at the Studebaker Museum or in the hands of a private collector whose identity I'll send to you confidentially via a PM. But since pink apparently wasn't an available color, what identifying feature would one search thru the build slips for? For example, might you recall who the original selling dealership was?

EDIT: I've been advised of Packard Trade Letter #56-1004 Supplement 2 of April 2, 56, saying that the color Flamingo would be available in approx 2 weeks. Went on to say Code "O" (soft pink) was available for all models except Caribbean. Thanks for Howard Hansen for this info. So then the production orders (build slips) could be manually searched for a 5672A with paint code O - how many could there be?
Dave, thanks for the welcome!

We came into possession of the car in I would guess circa 1972-3 from an owner in Bend, Oregon and pretty sure it was factory paint. It was an option as you note in late 1956. My father passed in 1994 and had sold the car a few years before. I am slowly going through and cleaning out my Mom's place as we recently had to put her in a care facility, they apparently NEVER threw anything away (have found very early 1960's income tax returns), hoping to find an old registration or bill of sale with the vehicle number on it. As an aside my late Father had purchased new from the factory the very last 1964 GT Hawk ever built and I have found a lot of documentation on that car, sadly it was sold around same time as the Packard. The fellow we sold it to still owns that car, so it is a two owner car and is in same unrestored condition my Father sold it in 30 years ago or so.

Would dearly love to discover what happened to the "pink" Packard as we called it. It was the car I took my driving test in back in 1974 and I believe it was in 1972 that the family of seven took a month long vacation from Oregon to Maine and back in that car. Your perspective changes over time, knowing what I now know about both the 56 Executive and the 64 Hawk and the uniqueness of each, we should of held onto them! Of course there was a 56 Porsche 356 back before I was born too that would of been worth having in the garage!

Shelby

Stuart R. Blond

Post by Stuart R. Blond » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 pm

In "The Packard Cormorant" magazine (issue #125 - Winter 2006) an article was published, written by George Hamlin, "Pretty in Pink," about the history of the cars painted Flamingo and Dover White. At the time of publication, information was known on seven cars, a Clipper Super sedan, four Executive hardtops, a Patrician sedan, and a 400 hardtop. This back issue is available (see the inside back cover of any current TPC).