1929 packard

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
pat packard

1929 packard

Post by pat packard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 am

I have just purchased a 1929 packard 640 from a gentleman it is all original except carburetor which I have but is not in car car had a frame off restoration 20 years ago has not been driven for 10 garage kept excellent condition just wondering what this cars value would be

pat packard

Re: 1929 packard

Post by pat packard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 am

Car is a sedan

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:43 am

There are more value guides out there than you could shake a stick at and I suggest you start checking them, keeping in mind that they are only "guides" and sometimes poor guides at that. I couple of photos of the exterior, interior and engine compartment would be helpful, along with any recent maintenance history. Just off the top of my hat in the absence of this kind of information, $30K to $60K but of course a lot depends on the quality of the restoration, for example are the paint colors true to original factory colors, upholstery fabrics a match for the originals, etc.

You didn't say which sedan, there are several; the club sedan should have more value than a comparable standard 5 passenger sedan, and values will differ for the 5-7 passenger sedan.

pat packard

Post by pat packard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:53 am

I will take some pics tomorrow and add more info ty

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:37 pm

A good place to start your look into values is NADA Classics. I usually start there and adjust DOWNwards. They tend to be overly optimistic as if they are unaware of current economic conditions. When I say downwards, I am talking, usually about 30-50% downwards. For example, They show several models for the 29. There is a 6-24 5-passenger that would be $27M as an older restoration that was in good running condition NOW. In other words, a "20 footer". Their highest rating for this one is valued at $48,600 and that is (quoting from their website), "This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well-maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition." Then there is the 6-40 Custom 5-7 passenger that would be $47M in the same condition. The High value on this one would be $84M. So, as Dave told you, it all depends on model and condition and I will differ a little with Dave here, range in value from $18M (if it is in overall good condition and will start with an auxiliary gas can, new plugs, etc.) to (and here I agree with Dave) about $55-60M again if it is of the Custom or Deluxe models. If you are anywhere close to the Knoxville, TN area I'll be happy to look at it for you and point out what I see (from my basically novice) standpoint. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!