Restoration

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
clipper56

Restoration

Post by clipper56 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:34 pm

I was looking at a 1937 packard six and I was wondering if it would be worth buying because the car has a lot of bondo and I am having trouble finding parts where could I get parts and should I buy the car?

charlieshot

Re: Restoration

Post by charlieshot » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Hello clipper56
your 1937 sounds like a nice car to work on, maybe you should first list all the obvious parts needing replacement or rebuild then contact Kanter auto for availability
and cost. Then you can judge if it will be in your budget. there are many other suppliers out there but Kanter has been quick with info I needed to get started on my project. good luck and remember to have fun, it always takes longer than expected.
charlie

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Hello Clipper,

The 37 Packard 6 is a worthy car for a restoration if it in reasonable condition mechanically with a body that can be straightened or have body patches applied to it. Outside of Kanter, always an excellent place for Packard parts, I've frequently used Max Merritt in Indiana. They have a large selection of used and NOS parts as well as modern reproductions to select from. They, like Kanter, are always helpful and fast with good pricing. Both supply houses have good on-line catalogs for your use.

As Charlie said, you really need to determine exactly how much Bondo you are dealing with. I've found that a Refrigerator magnet like a magnetized business card run lightly over the car will find all, or most, of the Bondo. That way you do not scratch the paint. One thing that many folks do is to end up buying a doner car to supply body parts. If you need rear-end, find one totaled in the front. That way you end up with a spare drive train that frequently comes in handy. Or, gives you parts to sell after you finish your project.

If there is anything at all that I can do to help you out just send me a message and I'll see what I can do.

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

clipper56

Post by clipper56 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks genehouse and Charlieshot