Bought my first Packard today!

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
manyguns

Bought my first Packard today!

Post by manyguns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:45 pm

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but today I got my first Packard. It's a 1950 Super Deluxe Sedan. At least I think I'm correct by the numbers on the tag: 2372-5-6260. I wonder what engine it is, 327? It came from an estate and hasn't been run much. I suppose it will take a little tuning to smooth out. It's in pretty decent shape with just a little rust on the rockers. It also has a nice set of wide whites on it. I am seeing a lot of good information on this site!

Dave Czirr

Re: Bought my first Packard today!

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Welcome to the world of Packard owners and The Packard club forum. You'll find plenty of folks here to help you getting it freshened up and road-ready.

Sounds like a nice vehicle, how about some pictures? And yes, the engine is a 327.

manyguns

Post by manyguns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:03 pm

I tried to post a picture, but it says my file is too large. I don't know how to fix that.
Tom

Moderator: posting resized pictures.
Attachments
005.JPG
009.JPG

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:08 pm

There is a size limit for photos, I believe it's 748 KB. Lots of free software out there to reduce image sizes, even some email programs have the option. If you can't manage that but can move quickly (I'm off tomorrow to Canada for a while), I'll send you a PM with my email address. Email me the photo and I'll resize it and post it for you.

Dave

Fourpack

Post by Fourpack » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome in the Packard fraternity!

Like Dave says, I think you will be greatly helped by joining Packard Automobile Classics (PAC). For a modest $40 per year you will get 4 issues of our high quality publication, The Packard Cormorant, and 12 issues of the Cormorant News Bulletin. In the latter you will find an abundance of club news and advertising by Packard parts vendors allowing you to source virtually everything you may need for your car.

Please send me a PM with you address and I will mail you an application form.

Ole Böök
Membership V-P

Fourpack

Post by Fourpack » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:27 pm

My email address is

ole@packard.nu

(I thought everybody knew that.)

manyguns

Post by manyguns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks for posting my pics, Dave!
Tom

5682-4775

Post by 5682-4775 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:11 am

Hi Tom

Congratulations! And Welcome! So glad to see that good '50 Super Deluxe has a new appreciative owner. I'd been following it's Craiglist postings, considered acquiring it myself. Please keep us apprised of your experiences as you get to enjoy and maintain that fine car. Perhaps start a Project Blog for posting updates and the many questions you should have as your proceed with its ownership.

As well as this fine Forum, please sign up on the PackardInfo Forum as well. You'll find a knowledgeable, welcoming group of Packard enthusiasts there too. Including me!
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/

Steve (58L8134)

manyguns

Post by manyguns » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:28 am

Thanks Steve. We did a little trading and I'm excited to have it. I'm not going to do a lot with it. Just make it reliable and maybe do some work on the rocker panels. Do you live in the Milwaukee area?
Tom

5682-4775

Post by 5682-4775 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Tom

Western New York here, but finding good ones like your car for a good price is getting more difficult here. My idea was just like yours, get it reliable and safe, clean it up, do minor body repairs for preservation and appearance but keep it in driver condition so I could enjoy it. Glad its got an enthusiastic new owner, good luck with it and keep us posted on your experiences and progress.

Steve